WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice for SOBO hike - Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam

Planning hike in Oct. - only second time on trail but first with some decent mileage. Planning to do this hike in three days. Is a 15-16 mile day on this section feasible and/or advisable? Planning to carry about 30-35lb pack. Have been training daily but haven't been able to practice in an area with a lot of altitude gain. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The section between Mt. Collin's and Clingman's is no picnic for sure when your SOBO and have to climb the northern face of Clingmans... Last year we were NOBO between Fontana & Davenport Gap. Shared a shelter at Double Springs Gap with a group from OH & TX. We rolled into Double Springs around 4:30pm and they were already there and set-up, claimed they had stepped off from Newfound that morning. If I recall correctly, that distance is only 10.5 miles so that is very doable... last year Silers was shut down due to bear activity so they didn't have much choice but to stop there, if I were you, I think you could push on the additional couple of miles to Silers no problem... the trail is fairly downhill from there. Those guys however were trying to push on the next day to Mollies Ridge which is roughly 16 miles. From what I've read in trail journals, most thru-hikers can manage this mileage due to their conditioning by this point in their hike.. however, for a section/weekend hiker, I think that might be expecting too much. Now I've only run NOBO through the GSMNP, except for a quick overnight a couple of years back, SOBO Newfound to Double Springs Gap. So I've only ascended Thunderhead on approach from Fontana. What I can recall from last years hike, the descent (your climb) from Thunderhead and the total gain/loss between Thunderhead and Derricks Knob was pretty involved. Guess it all depends on your style of hiking... I can climb with a great pace, but the descents kill me. My hiking partner is the exact opposite. Past Thunderhead, Rocky Top & Spence Field it's, as they say, pretty much all down hill from there. Granted, in the GSMNP, that still means a roller coaster of gain/loss as you steadily lose elevation.

All that to say, you might want to consider trying to make it a 3 night/4 day hike.. if for anything so that you have more time to enjoy some of the spectacular views from some of these peaks. We were lucky last year, we went from Mollies to Derricks knob on our second day and were able to take an hour and a half on a grassy bald just below Rocky Top to each lunch, kick our boots off and lounge back in the grass... all with 360 degree views. Tough to have that kind of time to really enjoy it when you have less than 12 hrs of light like we do in October. But in the end, you have to just hike your own hike.

Also, currently ALL of the shelters are open (I only know because I'm actually leaving on Wednesday to cover Newfound Gap to Hot Springs) so you have options... unlike this time last year when Cosby, Silers and Russell Field were all closed due to bear activity.

Hope this was helpful... and have a great hike!

That's a pretty good summation by rhythmic. I don't have much to add but that I did Clingmans to Fontana 52 years ago. We did Clingmans to Spense Field the first day out and that's about 16 miles. Everything I've done since then has been NB. I would suggest taking treckking poles to help you on the decents. At the very least have a walking stick to help your knees.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Thanks for the input Rhythmic! Since you have to reserve shelters we were planning Double Springs, Spence Field, and then Fontana. Feel pretty good about the first day, just not sure about the second day. Have trekking poles so I hope that helps my knees with downhills. Looking forward to the views if the weather cooperates. You have a great hike from Newfound to Hot Springs as well.

Thanks for your input moytoy! Poles for the knees for sure...lost about 15 lbs in prep for this hike- hopefully that will help too! :>)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think that's fairly high mileage for a section. Probably will be fine on day one but you'll be feeling it on day two.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Around and about...

Just finished Fontana to Clingmans SAT-MON...not much water away from the shelters...good water at Mollies and Derrick (stayed at both shelters, respective nights)...however water was way down the hill at Derrick...don't stay at Double Spring due to Chipmunk infestation...can see the nuts on the upper level...left the car at Clingmans and it was fine...awesome weather and not many folks on the trail...ran into a few SOBO thru's who were almost done and one flipflopper...

Around and about...

Oh yes here is the video I shot of that section (Fontana to Clingmans NoBo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOT3R1nbft0

Enjoy...

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustADude View Post
    Just finished Fontana to Clingmans SAT-MON...not much water away from the shelters...good water at Mollies and Derrick (stayed at both shelters, respective nights)...however water was way down the hill at Derrick...don't stay at Double Spring due to Chipmunk infestation...can see the nuts on the upper level...left the car at Clingmans and it was fine...awesome weather and not many folks on the trail...ran into a few SOBO thru's who were almost done and one flipflopper...

Wow those SOBOers were moving it...seems a little early. Even with a May start it puts them at just over four months

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Because it is only your second time on the trail, I think a 15 mile day with a 35 lb pack in October would be a bit much for that section of the AT. You could start at Clingman's Dome to shorten your days to a more enjoyable distance. I am actually doing that section SOBO in October as well, and definitely planning on bringing earplugs...expecting quite a crowd in the shelter.

Kinda been having second thoughts about day two myself Blissful. Thanks!

Thanks JustADude! We hope the weather will be nice...glad you had a good hike.

JustADude, what kind of camera did you use to take your video? Great shots...thanks for sharing link!

++ New Posts ++