WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default How are your preparations going?

I realized today that I have 6 months left until my hike. That's less time than I plan to be out in the woods! I have 90% of the gear I'm going to take with, I run 5 days a weeks with other cardio as well and very slowy saving my money. I was just wondering from the rest of the 2013 class; how are your preparations going? Has anyone dropped out yet?
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

Images

I'm sill in, although my start date is a moving target.

Got 99% of the gear, and I'm in the tweaking stage, trying different things to shave ounces. Every week I'm doing three 9-mile walk/hikes in the local park and one long day of hiking (6-8 hours). I'm planning to slowly increase those numbers to weight under my heaviest load. I'm also going to try building up to going up the steps in my house 50 times with a 30-pound pack, but I'm still trying to figure that one out. I don't want to actually use up my knees before March.

Nice thread. I'm so freaking excited! Ticking the days off a calendar.

Preparations A through G were a complete failure.....

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I am losing body weight, which is a BIG project but also a happy one. And I am going to The Gathering where I will hear from those who are currently hiking as well as others who have done the whole thing. Maybe I'll meet some others who are prepping for 2013.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I'm still in too, though I'm nursing a ligament pull in my ankle from softball.
    90% of my gear is bought, still trying to figure out my footwear. Currently trying some Salomon trail runners.
    Weight calculations are around 17-18 pounds w/o food and water. Still hoping to find 1-2 lbs to cut.
    My start date is still a moving target also.
    Heard about the 2013 kickoff at Amicalola Falls State Park March 8-10. May attend that then hit the trail.
    Still debating mail drops. Would be interested in input on mail drops from the 2013 class.
    Still debating whether or not to go stove-less. Seems doable when you consider this is just a bunch of 3,4,5 day hikes.
    Will be hitting the treadmill, stairs, bike hard once Winter closes me in up here which is right around the corner.
    Unfortunately, I'm going to miss The Gathering, already paid for a spot, someone wants it...let me know.
    Can't wait to get out there.

[email protected]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
    Still debating mail drops. Would be interested in input on mail drops from the 2013 class.
    I'm not planning on doing any mail drops. I'll wing it. And once I'm out there, if I decide I don't like winging it or if I get some current information about a particular area, I'll course-correct.

The thing I love about all this is the fact that nothing's actually written in stone, even though it feels like it to me sometimes!

My gear is all set and all field-tested last month. We have a tradition at the Appalachian Trail Club of Florida for prospective thru-hikers to present their gear for a group critique. I'll be the victim at this month's meeting. They are without mercy and I expect ridicule for some of my luxury items. I'm keeping on my regular fitness program of daily walking and stretching and aiming for 5 days a week of resistance training at the local Y. I've tweaked my program over the past couple of decades and it seems to work well for me so that my adjustment to the trail is minimal. I plan on 8 small mail drops, mostly for vitamins, 1/2 rolls of Charmin (another luxury item), and AquaMira. I prefer to buy it in advance and mail it because I've often found outfitters out of stock on it. Can't wait to start!

Images

Sugarfoot, I'd hate that. Your Trail Club is hardcore! Good luck with the critique.

Journal Entries

Best laid plans always go south.
    I and my cousin are going to wing it.
    Still in the process of tuning the gear thingy.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

I'm still in with a departure date of April 1. I still need a new backpack, a better tarp for my hammock, and footwear - I have a bunion on my right foot and I currently wear Vibram Five Fingers all the time, but I don't think that is going to cut it for the A.T. Any suggestions on wide, light footwear? I am slowly saving money and will reach my target amount in plenty of time, as long as nothing "bad" happens. I plan on mostly resupplying along the trail, sending a few resupply boxes to places where it may be more difficult to resupply, and I will have a bounce box.

So far, so good - everything is going along according to my plans. Very excited!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LadybugPicnic View Post
    I have a bunion on my right foot and I currently wear Vibram Five Fingers all the time, but I don't think that is going to cut it for the A.T. Any suggestions on wide, light footwear?
    LadybugPicnic, I have the same issue, plus a ball-of-foot pain issue on the other side, and went through a bunch of shoes and insoles (not to mention frustration) looking for something that didn't hurt (or only hurt manageably). I've ended up with New Balance light hikers (910), men's double-wide (switching to men's sizes was a eureka moment), with a SofSole memory foam insole. Unfortunately, I need an 8.5 on the left and an 8 on the right, but I'm not going to buy two pairs of shoes every time I need new ones, so I'm going with the 8 and cutting a small vent in them -- which is what I usually end up doing with shoes. Damn freakish feet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    LadybugPicnic, I have the same issue, plus a ball-of-foot pain issue on the other side, and went through a bunch of shoes and insoles (not to mention frustration) looking for something that didn't hurt (or only hurt manageably). I've ended up with New Balance light hikers (910), men's double-wide (switching to men's sizes was a eureka moment), with a SofSole memory foam insole. Unfortunately, I need an 8.5 on the left and an 8 on the right, but I'm not going to buy two pairs of shoes every time I need new ones, so I'm going with the 8 and cutting a small vent in them -- which is what I usually end up doing with shoes. Damn freakish feet.
    Ha! I hear ya on the freakish feet. I also have plantar fibromas on the bottom of both feet, which typically do not bother me, but I don't know how they will react to a longer hike. I will probably check into some type of orthotic to distribute my weight away from them. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the shoes, I will be sure to check into them. I started buying men's trail runners a couple of years ago and they have worked well, but the Five Fingers have been the best so far. Are the NB light hikers appropriate for the start of the trail, during colder conditions?

Images

The only condition I can imagine would cause trouble is snow more than 6 or 8 inches deep. But if I'm hiking in snow 6 inches deep, I figure I have worse problems. =D I usually wear similar shoes all winter, and the cold doesn't bother me in them. Plus the insoles add a layer of insulation. And I have a sock system.

They don't dry as fast as some of the lighter trail runners, but I've gotten them plenty wet so far, and so far they've dried out overnight. And I've tried them out up on the Trail itself, and they handled the mud and such just fine.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Default Ready.

I'm 100 percent ready. I'm about to head out the door and do a trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I'll join the Y when it starts snowing. Right now I'm backpacking overnight at least once a week. I'll probably try some different laying techniques as the weather cools to see what works best. I look forward to seeing you all.

I currently wear Vibram Five Fingers all the time, but I don't think that is going to cut it for the A.T.
    Funny you should mention that, because that is what I plan to wear along the whole thing with the exception of the sections I plan barefooting on. But I go barefoot all the time and when I am forced to wear shoes thats what I wear.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just need to find the right shoes / boots ----- my biggest concern would have to be the time away from my family.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsbane View Post
    Funny you should mention that, because that is what I plan to wear along the whole thing with the exception of the sections I plan barefooting on. But I go barefoot all the time and when I am forced to wear shoes thats what I wear.
    That's awesome! I wish I could go barefoot, but my feet are just not tough enough. The FF shoes have helped a lot and I will wear them for a portion of the trail. I was talking to one of their reps and he said that they are coming out with a new winter version of the shoe - it will be waterproof, insulated, and have a built-in gaiter. I look forward to seeing it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sman View Post
    Just need to find the right shoes / boots ----- my biggest concern would have to be the time away from my family.
    Yes - that will be the biggest crux of the whole hike - missing our loved ones.

Images

Bounce Boxes
    You may want to consider bounce-boxes to lighten your load; these boxes are usually sent to hostels and hike-through towns, approximately 100 – 200 mile distances. These boxes may contain:

a. Large/Small ziplock bags.
    b. Spare batteries/chargers.
    c. Spare strapping.
    d. Hydrogen Peroxide mouth wash
    e. Liquid Soap
    f. Baby Wipes
    g. Nail File, clippers comb or brush
    h. Small towel
    i. Next set of maps.
    j. Change of clothing (and town clothing)
    k. Spare AM
    l. Clean sleeping bag liner
    m. Photographs of the wife and kids
    n. Clean and replacement socks
    o. Medicine
    p. Foot powder
    q. Spare 2 oz bottles (fill up your bottles; soap, mouth wash etc)
    Anything you think you will need but don’t want to carry, bounce it up the trail.

Enjoy your hike Wiggy (2010)

That's awesome! I wish I could go barefoot, but my feet are just not tough enough. The FF shoes have helped a lot and I will wear them for a portion of the trail. I was talking to one of their reps and he said that they are coming out with a new winter version of the shoe - it will be waterproof, insulated, and have a built-in gaiter. I look forward to seeing it.
    That sounds like it could be either really bad or really amazing. Any idea when they are supposed to be putting those out?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++