WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Barn in Atkins, VA

just wanted to give y'all a heads up. my friend got her drop box broken into at The Barn in Atkins, VA. We never found out who did it, and I don't want to jump to conclusions and blame the restaurant, but if it's got feathers and clucks, it's probably a chicken. Half her food was missing, along with 5 months worth of birth control and a brand new digital camera. the food at The Barn, however, was pretty good.

Hum... this isn't the first time I've heard that same prob. with that Barn in Atkins. That sucks!! I'm glad the food was good!
    I hope someone can figure out exactly what happened this time.

The last time my bf and I were there was for the Sunday buffet and that trip was the last time for me. I got a chicken leg and some wilted brown lettuce while waiting for them to put more food out, which they assured everyone was on the way. This was around 12:30 as I believe the buffet starts at 11 am and ends at 2 pm. They kept seating more people, alot of them elderly and just out of church, charging them for the buffet, KNOWING they were not going to be putting enough food out even for the people already there to have one serving; as we overheard one of the cooks telling a waitress they only had 20 pieces of chicken which was being grilled, not fried. Meanwhile, people were just sitting there anticipating being fed, since they were paying full price for the buffet... It was a joke! We got up and left and when paying the bill, which was full price, we were asked if everything was okay!!! I told them it would've been if I didn't have a $21.00 bill for a damn chicken leg, she didn't even OFFER to discount the bill~ I felt so, so sorry for those older folks waiting for a meal which never came...
    Man's heart away from nature becomes hard. ~Standing Bear

i've eaten there. it's just OK. nothin' to write home about. and i certainly wouldn't send a box with valuables to a restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mojo View Post
    The last time my bf and I were there was for the Sunday buffet and that trip was the last time for me. I got a chicken leg and some wilted brown lettuce while waiting for them to put more food out, which they assured everyone was on the way. This was around 12:30 as I believe the buffet starts at 11 am and ends at 2 pm. They kept seating more people, alot of them elderly and just out of church, charging them for the buffet, KNOWING they were not going to be putting enough food out even for the people already there to have one serving; as we overheard one of the cooks telling a waitress they only had 20 pieces of chicken which was being grilled, not fried. Meanwhile, people were just sitting there anticipating being fed, since they were paying full price for the buffet... It was a joke! We got up and left and when paying the bill, which was full price, we were asked if everything was okay!!! I told them it would've been if I didn't have a $21.00 bill for a damn chicken leg, she didn't even OFFER to discount the bill~ I felt so, so sorry for those older folks waiting for a meal which never came...

Good Grief!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i've eaten there. it's just OK. nothin' to write home about. and i certainly wouldn't send a box with valuables to a restaurant
    I believe they advertise themselves as a drop box location.... they are supposed to be trustworthy.

There's been a few backpacks that have been stolen there as well...

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I believe they advertise themselves as a drop box location.... they are supposed to be trustworthy.
    that means nothing. drug addicted thievs don't care

There's been a few backpacks that have been stolen there as well...
    That's the sort of thing that i have heard about the Barn. There's been a warning put out about this place in the past. I forgot about it until I saw this post.

Neither do drug~addicted waitresses! Im a local so I probably hear more than what's posted...

Neither do drug~addicted waitresses! Im a local so I probably hear more than what's posted...
    I'm sure you do. Thanks for letting us know .....

Not a problem, HikerMomKD...

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The alternative for a drop is the Relax Inn down the road, they charge $5.
    My 2011 A.T. Guide doesn't list The Barn as accepting mail drops.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

The Atkins post office has also reopened...

Images

Thank god they are in need of birth control pills I'm Atkins, Va. I hope that they put them to good use!

hey mountain mojo, do you know a man named richard hamm? he picked us up at the barn and let us stay at his place in atkins. had some real interesting stories to tell and was a great trail angel.

Can't say I do Carl, he sounds like a great guy! I'm right down the road in Marion...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Calson View Post
    just wanted to give y'all a heads up. my friend got he]r drop box broken into at The Barn in Atkins, VA.
    THANKS for reporting this on WB, ... but did you report it to the authorities? They are the ones who need this info! If druggies are doing this, no one on here is going to be able to do anything about the problem (the box is merely they symptom). If you haven't, please consider reporting this to law enforcement. If this problem is as chronic as some indicate, law enforcement needs to know ... and maybe even do a sting and put a stop to it. Unless victims speak up, they are just allowing others to become victims.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    My 2011 A.T. Guide doesn't list The Barn as accepting mail drops.
    The 2012 Companion does list them as a maildrop.

I will try and get Rambunny to follow up on this. She used to work there.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The 2012 Companion does list them as a maildrop.

I will try and get Rambunny to follow up on this. She used to work there.

Good deal Jeff, did you or anyone else (Mountain MoJo) hear that the place changed owners? If it's true, I think the place seemed to get a bad rep. after that.

I agree with Rain Man... someone needs to get on this ASAP!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++