WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Journal Entries

Think of it this way. REI charges full blown price usually, because they provide that service and peace of mind.
    You are buying a product, and an unlimited satisfaction guarantee. Not just a warrantee.
    When you buy discount, all you get is the product.
    Often you can purchase the same item for considerably less elsewhere.
    Its their policy, it seems to work well for them, and a few other companies.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority here. I returned two pairs of Montrails this year and I sleep quite well at night because they did not meet my expectations of 500 miles for a pair of trail runners. A seam on the first pair tore after about 100 miles, so I exchanged them. The soles delaminated on the second pair after about 200 miles, so I returned them. I ended up getting 300 miles of hiking for free, but I'm quite okay with that because I'd be seriously unhappy about spending $109 and getting only 300 miles use.

If I had gotten something closer to my 500 mile expectation, I would have just paid for a new pair out of pocket.
    I don't think there's much wrong with exchanging a pair of trail runners that started to fall apart after 100 miles, that's what the return policy is for. Now if you had hiked in them from Maine to Connecticut and then returned them because of wear and tear, that would be a different story.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I walked into a New Balance store with my daughter to get her some running shoes. The sales rep asked how I liked my NB shoes (which I got at Sears a few weeks earlier). I said they were great, but that Sears didn't have the right size. I got some that were a half size small thinking they would be ok, but they were not breaking in as much as I had hoped. The sales rep went in the back and got me the right size and took mine in exchange. I reminded her I didn't even buy them at this store and had worn them for a few weeks, but she said it was OK, NB wanted me to be happy. (I think they are the ones on my avatar picture).

Also I called Merrill once and asked where I could buy Merrill shoelaces and instead they just sent me a pair for free.

In both cases I don't know if they had a exchange/replacement policy. But in both cases I didn't ask for anything, so I was wasn't feeling guilty (and was happy).

rei wouldn't offer it if it didn't make sense to them financially. i'm sure they're well aware of what people are doing and how it affects their business. most likely they resell the returned gear and still turn a profit at their attic sales. i don't see what everyone's getting so worked up about, honestly. if you don't want to take advantage of the system, fine, but other people might not have the money to replace used gear. personally, i buy alot of stuff from rei because their return policy is so good. do i take advantage of it? in my opinion, no. they're making tons of money off of me by charging top dollar for most of their gear, which i normally would have bought elsewhere if it wasn't for their return policy. have i heard stories about other people returning ruined boots after 3 years? yes.

this is a non-issue

Corporations (yes, I realize REI is a co-op) are amoral, so too are a few of their customers. The vast majority of customers will never wear out or return gear. REI still wins

Images

I assume that REI and Bean have determined that they make more money by the increased sales they enjoy as a result of this guarantee and reputation that they have nurtured than they loose by accepting clearly abusive returns by cheapskates. I still think MOST folks have a conscience. I also try to impose one through conversation on those that don't when I get a chance.

Items do wear out and need replacement - not a satisfaction guarantee issue.

Journal Entries
    Images

I guess I'm in the minority here. I returned two pairs of Montrails...because they did not meet my expectations of 500 miles for a pair of trail runners. A seam on the first pair tore after about 100 miles, so I exchanged them. The soles delaminated on the second pair after about 200 miles, so I returned them. If I had gotten something closer to my 500 mile expectation, I would have just paid for a new pair out of pocket.
    You are in the right I would say. Shoes should last for more than 100 miles and 200 miles. But if a sole peels off the upper after 1,000 miles? I would say those boots have lived their life and it is time to buy new ones.

Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Gooch View Post
    Corporations (yes, I realize REI is a co-op) are amoral, so too are a few of their customers. The vast majority of customers will never wear out or return gear. REI still wins
    "Corporations are amoral?" Why is that?
    "REI still wins" You mean they make a profit so they can pay their employees and maintain their stores?

Years ago Sears use to have a sign at their store entrances saying "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back". Not anymore, even some of their Craftsman hand tools are not lifetime warranted any longer. Use to be anything that said Craftsman on it would be exchanged without question, not today.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    "REI still wins" You mean they make a profit so they can pay their employees and maintain their stores?

Years ago Sears use to have a sign at their store entrances saying "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back". Not anymore, even some of their Craftsman hand tools are not lifetime warranted any longer. Use to be anything that said Craftsman on it would be exchanged without question, not today.
    Companies are in the business of making money, nothing wrong with that. The ones that treat thier customers right "live long and prosper". Sam Walton became the richest person in the world by guaranteeing satisfaction...and a competitive price.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Gooch View Post
    Would like hear your take on why they are imoral...do you feel intitled to something?

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Corporations are amoral legal entities. Morality rarely, if ever, factors in

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Would like hear your take on why they are imoral...do you feel intitled to something?
    Notice that I used the word amoral, not immoral. I'm pro-big business

Images

id like to think your misspelling of entitled was deliberate as some sort of joke... but i'm probably wrong.

Default It's not always the customer that insists of product returns...

A good friend of mine was at the LL Bean store in Freeport, ME. She wasn't shopping for boots but was wearing some Bean boots that had been handed down from her grandfather to her father and then to her.

One of the employees saw her worn boots that would obviously no longer be waterproof and insisted that she go to the shoe department and get a replacement pair.

She tried to insist she didn't need another pair and besides, the shoes had outworn the "lifetime" of the original owner. But they obviously wanted her to walk away from the store not only happy, but happy enough to maybe tell others about her experience. So, not only did my friend get a new pair of boots to replace her old ones, but she has a story so good she passed it along. And here I am passing it on yet again - and not for the first time.

Whether or not it's "fair" for people to wear out gear and get free replacement gear, is one discussion. It's probably not fair. But, when people tell others about their experiences and how happy they are that REI and LL Bean have honored their warranties, other people will take notice. They may start shopping at these stores, too. Some of them may eventually take advantage of the warranty but most will likely just become new customers of the stores.

I'm sure the management of these stores determined that it's worth it to appease the relatively few "unfair" warranty claims in order to attract more long-term customers. Or in my friend's case, have their employees actively seek out an opportunity to have a customer leave their store with a great feeling of goodwill and a fantastic story.

Oh yeah... These actions may raise prices for the rest of us, but if that added customer base from goodwill stories keeps the economies of scale up, then the added cost from unfair returns may be negated by the reduced cost of larger production runs.
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

Images

it costs far Less to keep an existing customer happy then to attract 1 new one. superior customer service is the hallmark of all excellent companies. it's just good business. it shouldn't be abused

Images

I guess I'm in the minority here. I returned two pairs of Montrails this year and I sleep quite well at night because they did not meet my expectations of 500 miles for a pair of trail runners. A seam on the first pair tore after about 100 miles, so I exchanged them. The soles delaminated on the second pair after about 200 miles, so I returned them. I ended up getting 300 miles of hiking for free, but I'm quite okay with that because I'd be seriously unhappy about spending $109 and getting only 300 miles use.

If I had gotten something closer to my 500 mile expectation, I would have just paid for a new pair out of pocket.
    I don't think you're a minority here. I think most would agree this is not an abuse.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Wow, first "amoral," now "economies of scale," some of you are using too much of your book learning in this thread.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

This thread has been beaten to death. Time to return it for a brand new one.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    id like to think your misspelling of entitled was deliberate as some sort of joke... but i'm probably wrong.
    That's the way we spell it in special ed...sure wish I was smart like you...and intitled too.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Companies are in the business of making money, nothing wrong with that. The ones that treat thier customers right "live long and prosper". Sam Walton became the richest person in the world by guaranteeing satisfaction...and a competitive price.
    I bet Sam Walton is spinning in his grave over all the cheap Chinese junk Walmart sells today. They use to take pride in selling American made products.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++