WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Dad-back pack or diaper bag

So this is for the dads out there. The wife and I are expecting our first baby in December. We are both very excited, and soon I will have a son to teach the outdoors to. Since I am expecting to be spending quite a bit of time with him, I am not opposed to toting a diaper bag of some sort. Since the bags are around the $75 and up range, I convinced the wife that perhaps a backpack would be better idea. She went with it, but before I pull the trigger on that, has anyone had any experiance with a diaper bag vs. backpack?

My thought was to go with a GG Murmur. But since I have no previous experiance with babies, I wander how hard the accesibility would be. Hoping I can kill two birds with one stone, but if it doesn't work then oh well. Any thoughts?

I had some sort of backpack, a panel loader if I remember correctly. Worked very well. Get all the stuff together you need to support a kid, change diapers, feed, change of clothes, etc. and see what will work. Something pretty small.
    Last edited by swjohnsey; 10-01-2012 at 18:41.

Default New Dad-back pack or diaper bag

When my wife was pregnant with our son, she went to the Army Navy store and bought a olive drab messenger bag. It's something that we both did not mind carrying and fit all that we need. I do like the idea of a backpack though. You can get much more use out of it (even after he's out of diapers).

thanks for the responses. Y'all are probably very right in the fact that I would be better with a diaper bag over a backpack. I have to admit, it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it will serve me/us better. Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the links that some provided.

I had a diaper backpack called a Catini. I definitely suggest that over a diaper bag. You can let the wife have a simple diaper bag and you can use the backpack. Backpack goes on the shoulders and leaves the hands free also. Diaper bag is really just a tote anyway, no sense spending too much on it.

"Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

As the father of two boys - congratulations on the upcoming addition.

i was/am the primary care giver, but my wife went out and bought a d bag. Not sure why. Didn't need it never would.

when they are very little you are changing diapers a lot and are chained to the house more then you might imagine.
    as they get a little older they use fewer diapers, but they can be messier.

i carried one or more diapers in a pocket, butt cream if needed, and a small package of wipes. That's it. No mat no fancy bag. It easier in the fall when you have a coat with pockets. Sometimes they have a ride on toy or a stroller - you just use that as your d bag.

oh don't forget a small ziplock for the used diapers.....

i have had my boys all over the world and changed diapers in some weird and wonderful places, it's a great but challenging ride.

have fun!

Journal Entries

get a cheap camelbak or something similar in a neutral color not bright florescent. I am on my 4th kid and have been using them through them all. so many uses and the water bladder keeps the kids quiet and their mouths shut when we are out.

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

Check out the Marmot Urban Hauler... I just got it last week at Campmor for my daughter's diaper bag... It's just over 2000 cu in, basically a tote but the handles turn into back pack straps. It only has two zipper compartments... It cost $35 too... It is pretty slick.

We use a North Face Recon backpack. I've always felt that carrying a backpack was easier than a single over the shoulder bag; whether I was carrying diapers, a laptop, or whatever else.

It's interesting to hear that one dad just stuffed some diapers in his pocket. What about toys, snacks, drinks, extra clothes, etc? The backpack is also big enough for my wife to throw in her purse and a jacket if she wants to.

Congrats on the upcoming addition. I have 2 younger ones myself, its a lot of fun. My wife carried a diaper bag backpack kind of thing. It was very dorky and I couldn't get it on my back, it was too small. If I was on duty I just threw some stuff in an old school backpack i had. It worked pretty well. All you need is some access to get stuff, so something like a top-loading Flash 18 (which is almost a great choice) wouldn't be ideal -- but to each his own. But I don't think all the compartments and pads and whistles and stuff are all that necessary. I think the idea of getting your stuff together and trying it out in a bag or two is a good idea.

But. BUT... like most of parenting, don't overthink it!

I use a Maxpedition Rollypoly Extreme. The black color is perfect for around town. It has been my constant companion now that I have small kids. Not too big, not to small, and I do not feel like a dork when I wear it.

When our son was born, I was given a Kelty K.I.D.S. diaper/messenger bag. It is pretty versatile, has the detachable shoulder strap or built in backpack straps that can be stowed. Came with a changing pad (as most of them do) too. It's pretty small, but it fits the bill for diapers, munchies and a change of clothes. Plus, it doesn't end up looking like another one of my wife's purses with a bunch of non-essentials and random receipts in there.

Images

My wife and I are expecting in the next couple weeks too. The advice that I've heard is that a diaper bag is a bag with diapers in it. There doesn't seem to be a good reason not to use an ordinary backpack or any other bag. Maybe I'll change my tune next month, but for now it sounds like good advice!
    Dive Bomber
    SOBO Section Hiker

I have 10 children and can tell you that a diaper bag for you is wholly worthless. It's a total new parent gimmick. Get a pack you can actually get better use out of.

I was very adamant about wanting a backpack for a diaper bag with this baby. My mom found me an awesome backpack at babies r us that has a pocket for pretty much everything so you always know where something is. So far, I love it. He's two months old now, and it has plenty of room for everything. No way would I use a traditional diaper bag again. Any backpack could work for a diaper bag, but I like having a portable changing mat in my bag. Makes for easier clean up if you have to make an emergency diaper change in a parking lot.

Here is the one I have. It's pretty cheap compared to others I have seen.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=12763918

Images

Hey, you are going to love the new role. 2 ways to look at the issue. Family outting to Grandmoms- go heavy bag with toys and all of the other junk. Daddy time, say to the park or something, I went UL. The guy who mentioned stuffing his pockets knew what he was talking about. Men and women are different. Not to say one theory is better. My wife always went heavy with the bags- but she was never caught off guard. I just always carried a pack for food and bevs, so stuffing diapers, wipes, etc in the pack was no big deal. I had three in diapers at one time I did not see myself as a man taking care of babies. We all just needed what we needed, and it all went in to a pack.

You know, what you should be really looking for is good front pack baby carrier, and after 12 mos or so, a good back pack. Kelty makes the best by far. I get all my baby stuff at thrift stores and craig's list. The market is flooded with used stuff, never a need to buy anything new- for real. But don't waste your time with any other company for the baby packs, can't beat Kelty. I would have one on my back and 2 in a knobby wheel stroller and we covered ground. Get someone to spot you the first few times you put on the front or back packs. I have passed the Kelty gear on that I got used and it has made it to several other people- the things are tough as nails.

++ New Posts ++