WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Appalachian Trail Shelters - Architecture Thesis Survey

Hello, I am currently studying architecture at the Savannah College of Art and Design. The Focus of my thesis is the redesigning of Appalachian Trail Shelters without sacrificing the hiking experience.

Personal experience and research has shown that the existing shelters are in major need of repair, and it is my hopes that the information gathered from this survey will benefit my thesis and provide a resource for the designs of future Appalachian Trail Shelters.

Below is the link to the survey: (estimated time to complete is between 4-8 minutes)

Thank you!

https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=YiaKKZYK25w5o0MtRKpdKA

Journal Entries

All except the Smokies! Well with the exception of Davenport Gap

I don't agree. While spartan, most of the shelters were in good repair.

Journal Entries

While I can only attest to Shelters in the Smokies I've heard more complaints about uncontrollable things like mice and other people

Images

is this serious. last part of survey???? have you been to a shelter ???

Rate the following amenities by how strongly you agree with their addition in future Appalachian Trail Shelters.*
    Strongly Disagree Disagree Neutral Agree Strongly Agree
    Electric Lighting
    Heating / Air Conditioning
    Electric Outlets
    Heated Running Water
    Gas or Electric Stoves
    Lavatories
    Emergency Phones
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

These are all amenities I feel do not belong in a shelter, however I have spoken with other hikers that feel it is important to have some of these.

While I do not agree with them, I felt it important to get a more collected understanding of what to and what not to incorporate into my designs

Thank you for bringing that section up, I know it is a controversial topic.

Quote Originally Posted by zcalla20 View Post
    These are all amenities I feel do not belong in a shelter, however I have spoken with other hikers that feel it is important to have some of these.

Those that believe these amenities are important are those that sit on a couch in front of a TV. As far as I'm concerned the shelters are not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the shelters are not needed.
    I will have to confess, that big red barn at Overmountain sure was nice after walking 20 something miles in the poring rain, the trail was either a flowing stream or ankle deep mud, cold wet, tired, was nice to get out of the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by zcalla20 View Post

While I do not agree with them, I felt it important to get a more collected understanding of what to and what not to incorporate into my designs

Thank you for bringing that section up, I know it is a controversial topic.
    Other hikers want electricity? Are they nuts? Just stay at home then and sleep in the carport. This project is a good example of the Engineer mentality in full bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    Here are some features I would like to see in future shelters.

1. I would like there to be more space where people can't sleep. Sometimes the shelters get crowded with sleeping people, and there's no space to put my stuff.
    2. smaller shelters
    3. more nails sticking out of walls
    4. more cans on the strings where you put your food, or more metal boxes
    5. Outlets are nice as long as they don't require maintenance. This isn't for all shelters, and it's not a priority.
    6. polyurethane glue
    7. better signs pointing to the shelter
    8. If it's on land that is protected for a few hundred years, it should usually be made of permanent materials.

I would also like to see more blazes. These are more important than shelters. Lots of blazes and no shelters would be fine.
    Having more space where people can't sleep sounds like a good idea too. Zero space.

Outlets are nice? This is nuts.

If I was going to redesign a shelter I would focus more on ease of construction and ease of maintenance. That is if you want anything to ever come of your work. Hiker amenities are the last thing I would worry about. A metal roof and three walls is all you need. That is called heaven in bad weather. Some considerations though: a table to cook on is nice, the longer the overhang the better, someplace to sit other than the sleeping platform is nice. Just keep it simple.

You need to talk to Bob Peoples.

Journal Entries

what people need in a shelter is a privy, bear cables, covered cooking area/benches, and a roof that doesnt leak..much..

I'd go for having wind powered water pumps and solar powered battery chargers in shelters Heat and air conditioning would be nice too, now that I think about it.

Seriously, shelter design is an interesting subject. I've spent many an hour studying the way a shelter was built - while waiting for it to stop raining... It's hard to beat the original three sided log lean-to for simple and functional. The current Georgia shelter design is I think a very good optimization of the original lean-to design.

Now that matterials can be flow onto site, there are some pretty fancy shelters on the trail. I think it is a mistake to get too fancy, as the cost of matainance will eventually become an issue.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here are some features I would like to see in future shelters.

1. I would like there to be more space where people can't sleep. Sometimes the shelters get crowded with sleeping people, and there's no space to put my stuff.
    2. smaller shelters
    3. more nails sticking out of walls
    4. more cans on the strings where you put your food, or more metal boxes
    5. Outlets are nice as long as they don't require maintenance. This isn't for all shelters, and it's not a priority.
    6. polyurethane glue
    7. better signs pointing to the shelter
    8. If it's on land that is protected for a few hundred years, it should usually be made of permanent materials.

I would also like to see more blazes. These are more important than shelters. Lots of blazes and no shelters would be fine.
    Last edited by cabbagehead; 10-01-2012 at 22:09.
    David Smolinski

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post

Your stuff goes in your backpack.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

There are already a couple of shelters with electrical outlets . . . of course they ain't connected to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    There are already a couple of shelters with electrical outlets . . . of course they ain't connected to anything.
    I was in one of those shelters with the fake electrical outlets... let me tell ya.. it messed with my head for a minute!! It was great!! LOL!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    yea but they could be ...Pennies on the $
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

From the ones on the Long Trail I liked the Stratton Pond shelter style with bunks and a loft. I also liked the double layer lean to's/camps like Spruce Camp and Imp shelter (NH not LT but that style)

the only "amenity" i really got spoiled with was the 4 sided Lodge/camps, just nice to have 4 walls and a door sometimes. other than that.. roof that works

I think of Mountaineer ( Bob is pretty much the Chuck Norris of the AT) and Jim & Molly Denton as pretty much the perfect shelter designs. Bear poles covered cooking area, plenty of sleeping space. That being said with a handful of exceptions ( dicks dome, and the one 11 miles north of hot springs with the gaps in the floor) even the most spartan shelters are fine. Give my regards to SCAD, I hope the coeds are still regularly earning their Ranger Panties.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++