WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default a week in new york

hello all - have a week maybe 2 - want to start near bear mt. and go north - anyone tell me where exactly would be a good place to start - thanks

Start on Bear Mountain, nice trail (for New York), easy to get to. Might want to watch the water. Oh, yeah, go north. Trail sucks the other way.
    Last edited by swjohnsey; 09-30-2012 at 18:58.

Ditto to that....
    Shocker

Images

I just finished NY... I aggree South of Bear Mtn sorta sucks. Unless you like a challenge. Take the train to Bear Mtn and hike from there. One good climb after crossing the Hudson, the rest is beautiful! Hike 'till you stop having fun. Lots of road crossings which lead to towns, typically less than a few miles away. Plenty of transportation options in the Northeast.

I'd start at the other side of Harriman SP (Arden, bus accessible). North from there give you 2 days of scenic hiking before passing Bear Mountain on your way north. Continue as far as you wish.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If you do like a challenge, you can pretty much do all of New York in a week, and have cheap transportation too. There is transit at the southern NY/NJ border (bus to greenwood lake, then state line trail), then Metro North trains near the NY/CT border.

BTW getting up/down Bear Mountain is pretty easy because of trail relocation. Nice stairs, crushed rock paths, etc. Felt like I was at a Disney park, not the AT.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If you miss the challenge of Bear Mountain, use the Major Welch trail (blaze is a red ring, it ends at the AT by the south end of Hessian Lake and crosses the AT again at the summit). It's a nice steep trail with one overlook that has a pretty view of the bridge.

If I had a week to bum around in New York State, I'd head for the Catskills or Adirondacks myself.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++