WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hiked last year with a couple of my buddies kids, 13 year old boy, 15 year old girl. You will see a little drinkin, dope smokin' and romance along the trail. You can minimize it by limiting your time around shelters/leantos.

Hiking as a family, you will be primarly camping in your tents, as you will find the shelters are usually full when you get there. At least for the first month or two until the crowd thins out some. So, most of your interaction with other hikers will be in the morning or around dinner time when everyone is still sober. It's usually later around the camp fire that the libations come out.

The concentration of smokers in one place does seem to become greater the farther up the trail you go. The smokers start to form thier own groups.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just want to throw this out there as well. Standing Bear Farm can be on the wet side and you might not want to stay there, definitely stop in for a pizza, shower, and supplies but the evening drinking might not be for y'all. Or you can camp out back, but personally if I am going to camp I am going to do it on the trail. 4 Pines also fits into that category, but again you can camp up the hill in the barn. Just pay attention to the hostel's rules. If they allow drinking, usually it is going to end up being rambunctious.

Will this get more hits on your blog?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dtougas View Post
    ... because of all the drinking, swearing, and substance abuse that supposedly goes on. Like a big frat party where everyone kinda loses control.

... I would like to hear some other opinions on the matter ....
    As others have mentioned, you can avoid such self-centered, me-me-ME behavior. I've hiked over half the trail now, and have not had to leave anywhere because of "frat party" conduct, though some of that success is choosing where to go or stay in the first place.

Sadly, hostels don't have that choice and it seems almost yearly that I hear of chronic problems that hostels have with party boys each year, until ultimately the hostels close to hikers. In fact, the ATC (or was it ALDHA) even adopted a campaign of "endangered services" or some such, exactly because of the small number of "frat party," me-first hikers, who ruin it for everyone.

So, you are wise to be aware, just as you might be aware of venomous snakes (I'd rather have the snakes), but neither have to ruin your hike with your kids.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Use common sense too. If there is a shelter/ camp with close and easy access near a road and it is a weekend then there is a strong likelihood that it will be louder, more crowded at the shelter and campsites, and probably some "activities" that you dont want your kids around. During my thru I left several campsites and shelters late at night due to noise, drinking and drugs. Even after i requested the activities be toned down. When i take my wife and kids out i avoided these locations. Additionally there are several hostels with reputations that are accurate for being party locals with "activities" you would rather the fam not be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Sadly, hostels don't have that choice and it seems almost yearly that I hear of chronic problems that hostels have with party boys each year, until ultimately the hostels close to hikers. In fact, the ATC (or was it ALDHA) even adopted a campaign of "endangered services" or some such, exactly because of the small number of "frat party," me-first hikers, who ruin it for everyone.
    Hostels do have a choice though. Blueberry Patch, Kincora, Woods Hole just to name a few have a no booze policy and it generally keeps the idiots away or at least behaving.

Journal Entries
    Images

I found that folks on the Trail were generally courteous and considerate of others. The behavior you might be concerned about takes place off the Trail and is quite avoidable. There were several family groups I met and never observed behavior around them that I would have objected to in the presence of my grandchildren.

Images

Nearly everyone is on the same page here and would like to add I agree with them! Many of the partys end at or near sundown for the stoners but my experience is the frat action like you worry about pales in comparison to Boy Scout troops invading a campsite or shelter. Scouts are getting into minor mischief and Lord of the Flies prelude all night IMO.

pot smokers in general are very passive people (think dude in the big labowiski).they really dont mean you any harm its just that since its a part of their lives they dont really think of it as abnormal so they loose their inhabitions about who they smoke around. its nothing personal to you.if you would say to them in private come on man im trying to raise my kids here could you please go outside,id bet 90 percent would ablige your wish with no confrontation at all.if you get a rude one its arogance on their part just move on down the trail a little.you dont have to worry about most pot smokers its the heavy drinking that seems to bring on more confrontation.imho

I did most of Georgia with my son who was 10 at the time and did not have any problems. Using a tent and going to bed early probably helped. What was really neat was how the men who had recently retired and were getting to finally thu-hike kept telling him how lucky he was to be out there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
    Nearly everyone is on the same page here and would like to add I agree with them! Many of the partys end at or near sundown for the stoners but my experience is the frat action like you worry about pales in comparison to Boy Scout troops invading a campsite or shelter. Scouts are getting into minor mischief and Lord of the Flies prelude all night IMO.
    It is sad but my worst experience was the lack of respectdisplayed by Scout troops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++