WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    I live alone and work alone (home office), so most days of the week, I don't see or talk to another soul. I'm actually afraid that my head's going to explode from too much social contact next March! I'm trying to build up to it.
    I also live and work alone, but being alone in the woods can be a little spooky. It does take some getting used to, as initally it's a new and unknown enviorment.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Only real concern about night hiking is finding the shelter turn-off if that is what you are looking for. Many shelters are poorly marked, and easy to miss at night. Other than that, not much of a problem for most of the AT. Blind folks manage to hike it after all.

Images

Will add, I heard the biggest, loudest, most threatening sounding deer ever when I was camped alone in the Shining Rock Wilderness in NC. Heart was racing for a few minutes that night. Never had heard a deer blat that loud or close before - probably scared him as much as he scared me and all I was doing was laying in my tent. :-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Only real concern about night hiking is finding the shelter turn-off if that is what you are looking for. Many shelters are poorly marked, and easy to miss at night. Other than that, not much of a problem for most of the AT. Blind folks manage to hike it after all.
    are they now blazing the at in braille?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Will add, I heard the biggest, loudest, most threatening sounding deer ever when I was camped alone in the Shining Rock Wilderness in NC. Heart was racing for a few minutes that night. Never had heard a deer blat that loud or close before - probably scared him as much as he scared me and all I was doing was laying in my tent. :-)
    It's amazing the range of sounds that deer make in various situations.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I prefer to hike alone but it's nice to speak with other folks in the evening or at breaks and get to know other hikers, met some great folks. As for night hiking, I normally only do it when I have to in order to reach a camp spot or avoid the heat. First two hours of daylight and the last two are the best times to hike.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I prefer to walk alone at my own pace, even when someone else is hiking a section with me. I've probably had half a dozen solo nights, and as mentioned before, earplugs eliminate those nagging little sounds that keep your mind racing. I do enjoy sharing a view or a meal with others, but I've done enough solo hiking that I'm comfortable being alone for long periods of time. On a truly remote trail (typically not the AT outside of winter) you assume more risk should you get injured, in which case you need to be prepared to take care of yourself.

I've only night-hiked 3 times, the first time with Hikerhead (end of a 23-mile first day heading north from Watauga Lake in late October 2008), which was fun, scary and enlightening. That same section hike I again ran out of daylight trying to get in 26 miles (don't try night-hiking when it's snowing...it's really hard to see with the snowflakes reflecting your headlamp light!). Most of the time, though, I prefer to have camp setup before dark. If you are hiking late into the evening, then realize that you're likely to disrupt a lot of people if you expect to find a spot in a shelter after hiker midnight (~9 pm).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    It's amazing the range of sounds that deer make in various situations.
    You're right about deer, they can do some interesting things. I've been sitting at the base of a tree and had them come within 2-3 yards sniffing to make out what I was then start stomping the ground trying to get me to move so they could tell what I was. Had two stand on thier hind legs boxing underneath my tree stand one day. One of the most beautiful scenes for me was on Clinch Mt in VA, sitting in a tree, snow flakes the size of 1/2 dollars floating down, 4-5" of snow quickly, deer come from everywhere under my stand and a doe lays on her side and puts her head up underneath a large log getting a morsel to eat, came up with snow on her nose and face, wish I had camera instead of a bow.

I don't think night hiking is that useful on the E coast. Maybe down south when it's hot but remember that if you show up at a campsite or shelter after hiker midnight camp outside. Had some folks on the Long trail show up at 10-11pm and wake everyone up. Now, I had known them from the last few shelters and they were nice people so I wasn't "as" pissed but I was still a bit annoyed. I also "knew" them enough to tell them get their stuff set outside so they could just come inside and go to bed.

I don't mind hiking alone but i'd much rather camp with people. someone to talk to instead of sitting at a shelter being bored before bed.

Images

I solo hike all the time, dont have any problems at night, but night hiking still freaks me out when im alone. seeing red eyes in the woods makes my imagination go wild, even if it turns out to be just a squirrel.ive "seen" things once my imagination has kicked into gear.

Definitely done some night hiking in Boy Scouts (couple miles,to get to the campsite) but the camping solo will be a first for me, not too worried though, but surely will experience it at some point during my thru-hike next year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks everyone for your insight. As I gather, the experience will vary from person to person. One of my biggest worry was: is there a bear on the trail around the next bend ?

In any case, before flying out to Georgia and having to fly back home after 5 days, I will probably attempt a week long trek (100-mile wilderness or something similar) to see if solo is my thing, as Not Sunshine suggested.

Many thanks to all,

kernel

Downside to night hiking: 1. footing on trails can be downright dangerous, even with the best of headlights. 2. Wildlife can become a problem. 3. Very limited scenery 4. Colder 5. Trail intersections can become easier to miss

Upside: 1. Cooler 2. Wildlife 3. mostly quite and secluded 4. view of stars and civilization lights

I rarely hike at night unless I'm trying to meet a deadline or it's just too hot during the day, but sleeping in the daytime heat is also tough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    are they now blazing the at in braille?
    Why not? The Feds have us putting Braille on the DRIVE-THROUGH WINDOWS at the banks.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Why not? The Feds have us putting Braille on the DRIVE-THROUGH WINDOWS at the banks.
    when they have movies with subtitles in braille, ill be impressed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
    Thanks everyone for your insight. As I gather, the experience will vary from person to person. One of my biggest worry was: is there a bear on the trail around the next bend ?

In any case, before flying out to Georgia and having to fly back home after 5 days, I will probably attempt a week long trek (100-mile wilderness or something similar) to see if solo is my thing, as Not Sunshine suggested.

Many thanks to all,

kernel
    the hundred mile wilderness has treacherous footing in daylight, let alone nighttime, a never ending series of rocks,roots and bogbridges.id look to some easier stretch of trail for your first stretch of nighttime hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I don't think night hiking is that useful on the E coast. Maybe down south when it's hot but remember that if you show up at a campsite or shelter after hiker midnight camp outside. Had some folks on the Long trail show up at 10-11pm and wake everyone up. Now, I had known them from the last few shelters and they were nice people so I wasn't "as" pissed but I was still a bit annoyed. I also "knew" them enough to tell them get their stuff set outside so they could just come inside and go to bed.

I don't mind hiking alone but i'd much rather camp with people. someone to talk to instead of sitting at a shelter being bored before bed.

Just one more reason not to use shelters. One of the deciding factors in my choosing to avoid shelters was a group of 4 or 5 young guys who arrived at the shelter after the real midnight. They proceeded to rekindle the fire from the previous evening, which cast light into the shelter. They sat around talking loudly and excitedly for the next half an hour about how nobody was going to believe the fact that they had covered 52 miles in one day, and then one of them suggested that they needed to sign the register in order to document it. So they stomped around inside the shelter, stepping on and over people digging around to find the register. They finally left about the time everyone was wide awake.

While I do enjoy the rituals , realities and solitude of solo hiking ( I once went 10 days in the Grand Canyon w/o seeing another person ) I think that the combination of solo hiking and night hiking are at cross purposes w/ each other
    One of the basic lessons that all solo hikers quickly learn is that you can't screw up bc if you do the cavalry is not gonna come over the hill to rescue you ; you are the cavalry
    Unless you're hiking the deserts under a full moon , hiking at night increases the chances of screwing up and as such should not be done unless you have to.

seems funny to me as im a cronic loner everything i do is alone.a little while back i went to a missouri hang in the ozarks ,it was the first time ive ever hiked with a group or camped with others.weirdest thing for me was i talked more to those people than i do the people that are in my life and around me all the time.(not counting my sons).weirdest part is im the type that is totally alone and hating it when im in a large group of people.ive even had people ask why are you way out here by yourself when they would come upon me in passing on horse back or group hiking.i even had a couple come up behind me while hiking,they were making so much dam noise i went to the side of the trail about 30 feet from the trail to let them pass so they could get away from me with their constant screaming conversations.when they passed i said nothing and they stopped right in front of me.they were there 5 minutes before they noticed me,it freaked them out and they left quickly.i could hear them talking down the trail she was saying there is something wrong with that guy hes weird lets get out of here,ironicly im the most passive person i know and would hurt noone in any way i can avoid .i dont hike much at night because it adds contollable risk to me without reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Just one more reason not to use shelters. One of the deciding factors in my choosing to avoid shelters was a group of 4 or 5 young guys who arrived at the shelter after the real midnight. They proceeded to rekindle the fire from the previous evening, which cast light into the shelter. They sat around talking loudly and excitedly for the next half an hour about how nobody was going to believe the fact that they had covered 52 miles in one day, and then one of them suggested that they needed to sign the register in order to document it. So they stomped around inside the shelter, stepping on and over people digging around to find the register. They finally left about the time everyone was wide awake.
    Luckily the Long trail is not busy and there aren't that many folks out there so I stayed in my tent twice out of 16 nights and never had a problem. even the parts where the AT and LT are the same.. by that point the NOBO's are a) tired b) pretty respectful. The kids that came in that one night were quick about getting their food hung up and into bed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++