WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default to kelty or not kelty

I am researching a new pack... For the hundred mile wilderness... Was really interested in the golite pack (althogh the store didnt have a golite pack) and then tried on the kelty ... I actually liked it... Anyone have any pros & cons ? Or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    I am researching a new pack... For the hundred mile wilderness... Was really interested in the golite pack (althogh the store didnt have a golite pack) and then tried on the kelty ... I actually liked it... Anyone have any pros & cons ? Or suggestions?
    Kelty? There are dozens of different Keltys. What kind?

Journal Entries
    Images

The Lakota 65... Although I was really wanting to know if people who had purchased kelty's felt like they were durable & comfortable ... Since they don't really seem to have alot of bells & whistles that other packs do..

The Lakota 65... Although I was really wanting to know if people who had purchased kelty's felt like they were durable & comfortable ... Since they don't really seem to have alot of bells & whistles that other packs do..
    I can't answer your specific question but I can include a few choice pics of an internal Kelty in action--

My backpacking buddy Johnny Be is using his old Kelty on a 1,000 foot climb to a mountain top.

Here's another shot. Anyone know the model??

Anyway, I can only answer the Kelty question on their big external frame packs---sorry.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks tipi walter... I am a smaller internal frame kinda girl...Just learning ... But I appreciate your info .... Not wanting to lose certain comforts in the cost ...

I have a 4750 and love it. It is durable and comfortable. You can carry a decent amount of weight comfortably if needed. I use a GoLite 50L now most of the time. They are both great packs that are each good at what they do. Shop for what fits you. Go for what works what you want it to do. Know what all you want your pack to carry. Don't shop by name brand alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWdA...e_gdata_player

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks matt65... I am just trying to make a wise purchase... I tried on the Gregory deeva before I tried on the kelty ... And i liked the reviews I had read on the Gregory , which was far more costly , the kelty was lighter & just felt better... Just seems I am wondering how a pack that is that much less expensive , is a better choice... Hence my question .. I really am here to learn & appreciate you responding .

I own a Kelty Redwing 44L. I like all the storage pockets it has and the material is really durable. The downside is that it weighs a little more than I'd like it to. I also have a Golite Quest 80L (i go backpacking with my kids). I really like it. The weight is almost the same as the Kelty but feels much better.

If you find something that fits you and your needs, go with it.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Based on my experience with a Kelty back pack and a Kelty tent, I would describe their equipment as durable, but heavy. As an example, a typical large size Kelty back pack can weight about 6 lbs, while the REI large back pack I'm currently using is only 3 lbs. If you look into their back packs, they too are heavier than comparable packs by names like North Face and Marmot. But Kelty is also cheaper than these more expensive name brands to.

Journal Entries
    Images

Blackbeard30... I am looking for a golite retailer in my area so that I can actually see if the difference is the choice for me.... I am all about finding what works for me... It's amazing what a few pounds a difference makes... Thank you!

Have a Red Cloud 110. It's heavy-6+lbs but holds a lot of gear. Only negative I have are the buckles on the straps...they don't hold very well. I bought some cam buckles and put them on the shoulder straps in addition to the regular buckles and that seems to do the trick.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hookoodooku... I had heard the same in regards to weight.. So I was very surprised the Gregory pack was heavier than the kelty... And the kelty was a larger pack... I am really enjoying the info I am getting here... It really helps!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thebeeman... My boyfriend is torn between the Gregory Baltero & the Red Cloud 90.... Huge cost difference... But straps are VERY important.... And this hike is dependent on equipment ... So that is a huge concern ... Thank ya much!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Ultimately.. We want to have a great hike ...all the while making good equipment choices... I like the good , the bad & the ugly when it secures my decision making... Thanks!!!

I have used a Kelty for the past couple of years and really enjoyed the functionality and durability. Just in the past few weeks ordered a ULA Catalyst to help cut down on weight. My Kelty was a great entry pack with durability/functionality for a reasonable price, but now that I am getting more serious about backpacking I decided to spend the extra money to get something significanlty lighter.

I wish you well on your choice and your hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    but now that I am getting more serious about backpacking I decided to spend the extra money to get something significanlty lighter.

I wish you well on your choice and your hiking.
    I bet many of us can say this. You can go through this too or maybe skip a step and try to find something sub 4 pound...or maybe sub 3 pound. Might not be feasible unless your gear is tuned a little in respect to weight and bulk. Sounds like you are already paying attention to weight of your choices.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hookoodooku... I had heard the same in regards to weight.. So I was very surprised the Gregory pack was heavier than the kelty... And the kelty was a larger pack... I am really enjoying the info I am getting here... It really helps!!
    What I understand about Gregory packs is that they are heavy because of what they put into them to make them more "comfortable". I don't know what makes a Gegory pack feel more comfortable, but I've felt the difference. Simply standing still, a 40lb Gregory pack (properly fitted) is more comfortable on your back/hips than a 40lb Kelty or a 40lb REI. But at the end of the day, either way, your body is still hauling around 40lb.

Blackbeard30... I am looking for a golite retailer in my area so that I can actually see if the difference is the choice for me.... I am all about finding what works for me... It's amazing what a few pounds a difference makes... Thank you!
    Golite has changed their marketing model to direct sales, so you won't find them in retailers any more. But, since they have cut out the retail stores, their prices are now dramatically lower. SectionHiker.com has more info.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Journal Entries
    Images

Astro... Thank you for your experience & the well wishes!

Journal Entries
    Images

Pyroman53... I am def concerned with the weight... And I realize that, especially in the beginning of this hike, every oz counts... That or turn my boyfriend into a pack mule

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++