WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Buying a new backpacking tent. Any recommendations?

Hi all,

I am looking into buying a good backpacking tent.

I am a rookie hiker, so I was hoping you all would help direct me to a good tent, or website where I can find a good tent.

I am planning on starting out small with a few weekend hikes here and there, but eventually hope to work my way up to section hiking.

Also, I am hoping the tent would be able to sleep anywhere from 1-5 people within a reasonable price range.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zcalla20 View Post
    Hi all,

Also, I am hoping the tent would be able to sleep anywhere from 1-5 people within a reasonable price range.

Thanks!
    This last comment will throw you into a flux. Most people here on Whiteblaze will recommend some form of the TarpTent or the Big Agnes Seedhouse or the MSR Hubbas or the new fangled cottage industry poncho-tarp tents or Wild Oasis stuff or maybe even cuben tarps, etc etc. But you'll have to decide real quick which is it gonna be: A single person tent, a two person tent or a tent for 5(!).

On the other hand, Eureka makes great entry level tents in all sizes which you should consider. A 5 man tent won't be carried on a solo trip, period. A large tarp can house five people, or consider a tipi style tent of the old Mt Hardwear Kiva type or the Golite Shangri La thingies. Don't bother with Kifaru due to the expense. Just some thoughts off the top of my peanut sized brain.

Mountian hardware drifter 3 is a great 2 1/2 person tent with big vestibules solid built and won't break the bank. There are many lighter tents but I really like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnatx View Post
    Mountian hardware drifter 3 is a great 2 1/2 person tent with big vestibules solid built and won't break the bank. There are many lighter tents but I really like this one.
    Yeah, I forgot about Mt Hardwear and North Face. My early always-used go-to tents were either Mt Hardwear or North Face. Then Mt Hardwear went to their crappy in my opinion Atlas pole system with the stupid inserts and I had a pole break on a Light Wedge 2 tent on a trip into the NC mountains and vowed Never Again. Hence the switch over to Hilleberg.

These are all great starting points, thank you!

just my opinion but someone just starting out should not start out with single wall/tarp style...i think you need a little experience before you go with one...not nearly as forgiving on set up.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    just my opinion but someone just starting out should not start out with single wall/tarp style...i think you need a little experience before you go with one...not nearly as forgiving on set up.
    Personally I agree but would take it a step further---even experts should avoid single wall tents. I know, sacrilege!! I've just seen too many complaints with single walls---and all having to do with dripping condensation and inside misting due to heavy rains.

Garlic
    Images

Sierra Designs might work out OK for you. Lower price, serviceable stuff, or at least they were back when I was alive.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I reccomend the (Marmot EOS 1 Person) i used it on my Thru-Hike this year its lite under 2lbs and easy to set up. To me this is the perfect thru-hiking tent, Believe me i used everything from a tarp to a Hammock. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

Zcalla
    The best advice that I can give you is to not buy one online
    Rather go to your local hiking gear store or mega sporting goods store
    Select a tent that you think might work for you
    Pitch it and then crawl inside and see if it works for you , see if it fits you, visualize spending 2 rainy days in it
    Be true to yourself
    If you're a rough on everything person like I am , then stay away from flimsy tents w/flimsy poles
    Don't get enamored w/ high end brand names bc as somebody else mentioned mid range Eureka does make good tents
    Honestly figure out if you do in fact need a free standing tent
    Have fun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I reccomend the (Marmot EOS 1 Person) i used it on my Thru-Hike this year its lite under 2lbs and easy to set up. To me this is the perfect thru-hiking tent, Believe me i used everything from a tarp to a Hammock. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )
    Is this a typo and you mean under THREE pounds? The specs I see online are 2-12 minimum, 3-4 total weight. I'm looking a bit too and confused.

If you need enough room for 2 you can find tents in the 4-5lb range, double wall and free standing for around $200 new....cheaper used. Try a Kelty Gunnison 2.1 or a Hubba Hubba.

geek

For versatility, I'd suggest a "three" person and a "two" person tent for your projected group sizes. These would most often be used for one and/or two respectively, or two and three when needed. Siting and carrying two smaller tents works better, too. I'd agree that mid-range priced double wall tents would be the way to go.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I use a Nemo OB1p and they are great tents for a beginner. Free standing and easy to set up. My grand kids can set it up. The OB2p and OB3p are 2 person and 3 person respectively. They are a little pricey but if you watch specials you get get them on sale. I bought my OB1p on climb for $200
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

Kelty isn't the lightest on the market - but they're usually the most affordable. I got my Crestone 1 person (4lbs) for <$100. My 2 person Kelty was also about $100 and weighed about 4lbs.
    I currently carry a Tarptent NOTCH (1 person) that weights 26oz. SUPER. But I slide around in it constantly. The bathtub floor is very slippery...which means: if you're not on an absolutely flat area, you'll be up all night trying to put yourself back in the middle of the tent.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Go to www.tarptent.com and watch the set up videos for the various tents and read the specs. Even if you dont buy one it's good to know what's out there. The only advice I will give is go lightweight and you'll enjoy hiking more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Personally I agree but would take it a step further---even experts should avoid single wall tents. I know, sacrilege!! I've just seen too many complaints with single walls---and all having to do with dripping condensation and inside misting due to heavy rains.
    whoa.. I agree with Tipi on something.. I had a Contrail for most of the summer and i set it up as a quick bivy in pouring rain and it misted through in under a half hour.

I will disagree about tarptent style tents..(many are double wall or hybrid now) Using trekking poles to set up saves weight when you are using them anyway. they are also not that hard to set up with a few practice runs. My Lightheart Solo goes up quite smoothly now. There is a good set up video on their site.

pick the "normal" amount of people that will be hiking... then decide on a 2 or 3 person tent. If the norm is 2 then get a 2 and any extra can bring a 1-3 person of their own. if it is 3 then get a 3 person etc. anything over a 3 person tent is a HUGE footprint and very heavy due to how much support it needs. trying to find a spot in normal backpacking areas to set up a tent that size would be difficult.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about Mt Hardwear and North Face. My early always-used go-to tents were either Mt Hardwear or North Face. Then Mt Hardwear went to their crappy in my opinion Atlas pole system with the stupid inserts and I had a pole break on a Light Wedge 2 tent on a trip into the NC mountains and vowed Never Again. Hence the switch over to Hilleberg.

Tipi I love my stratospire 2 but I would loove to try out a Hilleberg they look both water tight and roomy.
    If money isnt a huge issue, in which in my opinion when it comes to tents you get what you pay for, then I would shoot for either a Hilleberg or a Henry Shire Tarp Tent. Henry makes a "hogback" which comes in at around 5 pouinds and sleeps 5-6 people.

Reason why I say Heck yes to Tarp Tents? Three main reasons
    -weight
    -engineering
    -ruggedness
    These tents are compairably light in my opinion, are engineered from trial and error all the way from the beginning when Henry made them in his back yard and as my last trip to Roan Mountain proved: These tents are hosses! I slept the first night on Round Bald directly on the summit, 40 mph wind gust' lasted a good 6 hours through the night till morning and...tent was solid as a rock. Night two? thunderstorm on Big Hump Bald...Completely dry and tent...still solid as a rock!

why buy 2 or 3 times when you can buy good the first time and be done with it, trust me I learned the hard way!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

TW's experience is the southeast Appalachians where it is considerably wetter than say, well, Colorado.

Generally cool and dry conditions are great for single wall tents. Humid conditions? Could be a problem for some (most?) hikers.

No such thing as the perfect shelter I'm afraid (or stove, filter, pack, sleeping bag and so on. )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

No such thing as the perfect shelter I'm afraid (or stove, filter, pack, sleeping bag and so on. )
    You obviously don't HMHDI....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++