WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Is everyone wearing orange?

This is from the ATC: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...safety#hunting

As a prospector/geologist in Canada I have always hated being in the bush during hunting season. It's just too gosh darn dangerous. Do many Whiteblazers meet the legislation to wear enuf blaze orange during hunting season? Or is it just not a significant issue for you?

Poopsie

Images

Well, I wouldn't wear antlers and a brown jacket.
    Simple is good.

Images

I did a loop hike yesterday with a grey hat and black jacket. It's bear season here. I think I looked like a bear from the bush too. I worried the whole time but made it back in one piece. I did see some bear scat.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Going hiking in PA on Friday and no different from any other day.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by poopsy View Post
    Do many Whiteblazers meet the legislation to wear enuf blaze orange during hunting season?
    There are some mighty fine people who hunt. Then again, a few people who hunt are immature, morons, alcoholics, trigger-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a weapon. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.

I made several blaze-orange pack covers. When I go hiking during hunting season, I wear a blaze orange hat, often an orange shirt, and use one of the pack covers. The other pack covers are for family or hiking companions. If someone made blaze orange socks or gaiters, I'd probably wear them too.

I call it my "incognito costume" for a Clemson Tigers home football game, where you'd be unable to pick me out of the crowd!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

"I made several blaze-orange pack covers" That is a really good idea, Rain Man. You likely have it anyway. A blaze vest is covered by your pack. You would think gear outfits would make them in blaze instead of mainly camo colors.

There are some mighty fine people who drive. Then again, a few people who drive are immature, morons, alcoholics, throttle-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a vehicle. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.

Images

There are some mighty fine people who vote. Then again, a few people who vote are immature, morons, alcoholics, throttle-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a polling place. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.

Since I live near Shenandoah National Park, where hunting is not allowed, I exclusively hike there during hunting season. You can also enjoy all the popular tourist viewing areas without the crowds. After hunting season I will head back to the Tuscarora Trail and George Washington National Forest.

I've been wondering when I would need this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by rsjrny View Post
    Since I live near Shenandoah National Park, where hunting is not allowed, I exclusively hike there during hunting season. You can also enjoy all the popular tourist viewing areas without the crowds. After hunting season I will head back to the Tuscarora Trail and George Washington National Forest.
    I got into the habit of wearing a hunter's orange Buff and leaving my orange pack cover on no matter where I hike in the Fall. I do stand out in Shenandoah, but it's easier for me to remember that Fall=Orange everywhere.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ha ha ha ......I love it.... Hey I waited all of 15 seconds and had to do it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I wear orange, and so does my dog. It's not our favorite color, but if it helps to keep us safe, we do it.
    IMG_3452.JPG

The big season starts next weekend here in GA. Down here the trail is shared by both hikers and hunters. No buffer exists. I can not think of a single good reason not to wear blaze orange. Both my dogs and I will be in orange until the season ends.

I wouldn't even think about stepping off the road without my orange vest on. I have one of those 1 size fit's all ones from Wally World and found that it goes overtop of my day pack quite nicely. Just having an orange pack cover on doesn't 'show' orange from all sides.

When the dog hiked with me, he had his own custom fit orange vest as well. I liked to put it on him all year round cause then I could see him easily when he stepped off the trails.

The areas where I do most of my hiking is 'crown land' - (owned by the province but totally unregulated). Hunters abound and bear season blends with moose season then bow for deer then rifle for deer etc. etc. Put it this way hunting season runs forever up here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    There are some mighty fine people who hunt. Then again, a few people who hunt are immature, morons, alcoholics, trigger-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a weapon. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.
    RainMan
    An awful lot of your "complaining" posts, whether referring to shelters, groups on the trail or other subjects, invariably get around to the subject of, or are directed at 'alcoholics'....
    Not "recovered" are you..????

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    An awful lot of your "complaining" posts, whether referring to shelters, groups on the trail or other subjects, invariably get around to the subject of, or are directed at 'alcoholics'....
    Not "recovered" are you..????
    In the context of this conversation, rain man's comment seems appropriate. I like alcohol and I like guns, but I have a special kind of fury reserved for the (fortunately rare) idiots who choose to mix the two.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    In the context of this conversation, rain man's comment seems appropriate. I like alcohol and I like guns, but I have a special kind of fury reserved for the (fortunately rare) idiots who choose to mix the two.
    I agree totally with your point, but the subject just seems to come up in an awful LOT of his posts......

Images

I would not hike in the fall, especially during deer season, without an orange hat and/or orange pack cover. Maybe it doesn't matter, or maybe it gives me a false sense of security, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by poopsy View Post
    This is from the ATC: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...safety#hunting

As a prospector/geologist in Canada I have always hated being in the bush during hunting season. It's just too gosh darn dangerous. Do many Whiteblazers meet the legislation to wear enuf blaze orange during hunting season? Or is it just not a significant issue for you?

Poopsie
    I try to avoid hiking in popular hunting areas during deer season. In my area there are comparatively few public lands where it is legal to hunt, so it's very easy for me to avoid. The way I look at it, I have all year to hike as opposed to the hunters who, depending on the game and hunting method, usually only have a few weeks a year that they are allowed to hunt.

In years past I did not wear hunter orange while hiking, mostly because I didn't own any and never thought about it until it was too late. I finally grabbed a synthetic bright orange shirt and hat at Tractor Supply Co. last fall, so I will now be donning the correct amount of orange when hiking. As an added bonus, the shirt was both cheap and is honestly the softest and most comfortable synthetic shirt I've ever owned.

In addition, my lanky brown dog now ALWAYS wears orange in the woods during the fall. The first year we had her, there was an minor incident when she was running in the forest at a friend's farm. Lots of people are allowed to hunt on the property and we would always check with the owner before going into the woods during deer season, however one of the owner's relatives went out that afternoon without letting him know first. Lucky for us the hunter was very responsible and wasn't trigger happy, but the next time we saw him he informed us in a very pissed off voice something to the effect of "through a rifle scope your dog looks a lot like a deer" Ever since then the orange vest went became required gear for her on our hikes.

[IMG][/IMG]

One last side note: Everyone gets worried about hunters during deer season, but it turns out that the most accidental shootings happen during spring turkey season.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++