WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Ahhhh .... haha!! That is soooo funny!!! ^
    Seriously?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Seriously?
    I'm guessing you don't like jokes... I thought the doctor joke was really funny.... R U serious?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I'm guessing you don't like jokes... I thought the doctor joke was really funny.... R U serious?
    Oh, I love good humor. I read his journal. That stuff made me giggle, in 7th grade. I guess I am not the target audience. That is fine.

Ok, so what I understand you saying is... you like good humor. His humor, in your opinion, is targeted more for 7th graders? That is fine. Got ya~ I like your humor, btw... you have made me laugh a lot. I don't know if you mean to be funny but that's the kind of humor I like ... my brother is like that 2. It makes me giggle.

Images

not his target audience either. in his own post he said it was juvenile humor.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    not his target audience either. in his own post he said it was juvenile humor.
    If Steven Wright or Lewis Black had hiked the trial I'd prob die of a heart attack reading their stuff.

Images

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
    ~Steven Wright
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
    ~Steven Wright
    I brought my book to my publisher and he said it's great so far, but can you rewrite it? I said screw that, I'll just make a copy." ~ Steven Wright
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

"If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent those 6 months on the trail."

Images

"Small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."
    ~ Steven Wright

Journal Entries

Oh, I love good humor. I read his journal. That stuff made me giggle, in 7th grade. I guess I am not the target audience. That is fine.
    Don't know if I will ever win you over with my humor ChinMusic. I am the first to acknowledge that some of my humor us juvenile in nature but keep in mind the circumstances. After a long day of hiking we had a tired group sitting around the hostel drinking beer and eating potatoes. Farts were inevitable. It was one of those true moments that registered with me. The book is unique, just as my hike was. Give the entire book a chance and you will fine history, love and respect for the AT in addition to seventh grade humor.

I wish you all the best GG. I'm sure that if I wrote a book you would outsell me 100:1. You are a good writer.

I enjoyed most of your journal or I wouldn't have read it. I did get annoyed at one point with you trying to subvert a business owner, by sneaking many extra folks into a motel room. I do not recall where that was. I have a hard time balancing that with "respect for the AT". It seems like that kind of conduct will make it harder for those that follow you.

I would be interested in reading it, but why has Amazon priced the Kindle version as high as the print version?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    "Small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."
    ~ Steven Wright
    http://xkcd.com/1110/

Don't forget to click and drag.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

I wish you all the best GG. I'm sure that if I wrote a book you would outsell me 100:1. You are a good writer.

I enjoyed most of your journal or I wouldn't have read it. I did get annoyed at one point with you trying to subvert a business owner, by sneaking many extra folks into a motel room. I do not recall where that was. I have a hard time balancing that with "respect for the AT". It seems like that kind of conduct will make it harder for those that follow you.
    Yes, I wrote about that scene also. I am certain not all of my antics meet with universal approval. I am a classic study on arrested development. In my defense however I ALWAYS carted out a backpack full of others trash and due to the trail experience have since join AHS and participated in numerous trail maintenance adventures.
    Selling a book is much harder than writing one. Don't know why kindle's price is as high as print. I have no control over pricing. They set a high minimum and then I try to break even on editing fees, publishing, and printing and advertising costs....yea good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling teacher View Post
    Yes, I wrote about that scene also. I am certain not all of my antics meet with universal approval. I am a classic study on arrested development. In my defense however I ALWAYS carted out a backpack full of others trash and due to the trail experience have since join AHS and participated in numerous trail maintenance adventures.
    The more I hear the more I like. I know my opinion of you, not that that matters, has steadily grown. No one is perfect, well, except LW.....

I bought the book (supporting artists is important to me). From a volunteer trail manager viewpoint, can't say I'm enthused about the illegal camping, cheating landlords out of legitimate fees, and spending seemingly every evening in an alcoholic and smoked up haze. The "Trail as Party" scene just makes for more trash at campsites, camping where you aren't supposed to just pisses off the neighbors, or wrecks more of the woods, and being dishonest with trail service providers makes it harder for the next guy. But that's just an opinion from one guy. GG, you may have taken the time to reduce your impacts (as you mentioned in your epilogue) but other readers probably won't.

Still, it's a pretty good story, and your last couple of weeks in Maine were pretty gripping--I appreciated that you didn't try and blame your problems on anything other than the choices you yourself made.

Not the kind of thru hike that I'd like to have, or someone I'd like to hike with--but thanks for the story.

Cosmo

Journal Entries

Guilty as charged Cosmo! Glad you found something in the book that you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.

A couple of Kindle notes:

1) Every book that's available for the Kindle from the Amazon store has the option of trying a sample. You get the beginning of the book. You can read these samples on a Kindle or on a free Kindle app. So even if you want to buy the dead tree version of the book, you can sample it on your computer for free.

2) If you highlight text on a Kindle, the highlighted text is available as a separate text file on your Kindle. If you plug your Kindle into a computer, you can take the text and copy it. I don't know if there's a size limit, and if you're planning on copying the entire book that way, there are easier ways to break the copy protection. (No, I'm not going to tell you how; I don't want to support ripping off authors.)

3) Several of the newer Kindle models have a solar charging lighted case available. This seems like a great idea for through hikers. The weight of a Kindle (with hundreds of books loaded) is the same as a paperback book or two. (Although a water proof solar charging lighted case would be even better. Maybe someday.)

4) Don't toss your Kindle into your pack. The screen can be broken. My wife and daughters tested this out by stacking books on top of my first Kindle. I bought the really cheap Kindle to replace it.

We having "Gator Gump," otherwise known as "Traveling Teacher," as a speaker at our club next month, 19 December, 2012. If you're in the Sarasota, FL area at that time, do stop by, we love to have guests. The Florida ATC meets at 6:30 pm, starting with a pot-luck meal and then a short business meeting (5-10 minutes) and then the speaker. I hope we see you there. See the club website for more info: http://atcflorida.org/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++