WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: winter hike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    He did not state a tru hike just a winter hike. Winter there is no winter in the south.
    Are you serious? The snow from Georgia thru Roan on the AT can be and most often is greater than that in Pennsylvania NJ and NY. It is not uncommon for the snow depth in GSMNP to be 4-7 ft near clingman dome.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Default winter hike

Your going to have a blast. I would say two things:

1. You're going to be out during rifle season so be orange.

2. Get a vapor barrier liner for your bag. It's like sleeping next to a Woodstove every night And it will keep your insulation from freezing from condensation night after night being out in below freezing temps. Trust me on this I have been there and did most I'm my thru in the winter. As long as it is below freezing you will not get any condensation or clammy feelings inside of the liner.

Hiking in the winter is a absolute blast, you'll have alot better views, you'll escape the green tunnel which is no fun at all and winter hiking in Vermont, New Hamshire, Maine. its hard but diffentally not imposible its doable, the only advise i got is listen to your body it will tell you what it wants, Go have lots of fun and enjoy. RED-DOG

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Hiking in the winter is a absolute blast, you'll have alot better views, you'll escape the green tunnel which is no fun at all and winter hiking in Vermont, New Hamshire, Maine. its hard but diffentally not imposible its doable, the only advise i got is listen to your body it will tell you what it wants, Go have lots of fun and enjoy. RED-DOG
    Just curious, when has anyone ever finished a thru hike going through Vermont NH and Maine in February and March? it absolutely cant imagine it, although i wouldnt be surprised if some survival expert did it. id loveto hear of someone's account of such a trip if it exists. hiking long distance in the winter can be great, but not in the white mountains, i'd love to see if its ever been done

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll be out do all of VA this Winter, maybe I'll run into ya!! Have a Great Hike!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

He may be able to do New Hampshire provided he takes a bit extra equipment. A lot of AT trail is broken in the winter. Pack winter bag, extra food, snowshoes and wait for your weather opportunities.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    He may be able to do New Hampshire provided he takes a bit extra equipment. A lot of AT trail is broken in the winter. Pack winter bag, extra food, snowshoes and wait for your weather opportunities.

That would require an awful lot of luck, and risk. Connecting with a well equipped, experienced group might get him through the Whites.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That would require an awful lot of luck, and risk. Connecting with a well equipped, experienced group might get him through the Whites.
    100% correct. I feel some folks are encouraging this, a feat which to my knowledge has never been done . I have hiked quite a bit in northern new England in the winter. One or 2 day trips. I could never begin to think about hiking through 500 miles straight in February march . Potentially fatal trip IMO Even with the best equipment, and a great partner. We must be misconstruing this trip plan.

Who hikes 500 miles straight anymore? It's 2 days and hurry to town. Repeat. He needs a bit extra food in case he slows down and then hitchhike to town. Dry, do laundry watch forecast and head when it's good.

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Who hikes 500 miles straight anymore? It's 2 days and hurry to town. Repeat. He needs a bit extra food in case he slows down and then hitchhike to town. Dry, do laundry watch forecast and head when it's good.

Regardless of forecast, one can never rely on the Presidential Range to have good weather. If the weather there kills you, you are just one more on a long list.

Weather kills you if you are a dumbass, but unless we have a storm or a strong wind in the forecast there are people summiting in the presis every day.

If this guy hikes all winter to NH then by the time he reaches the presis he will clearly have enough experience to pick the right equipment and make the right choices.

Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 10-20-2012 at 22:07.
    Let me go

I've backpacked in winter for many years, including the Presis in the dead of winter. The level of preparation for the traverse on the AT is different than that for parts further south and below treeline. Yes people do summit there all the time. They also turn back because of conditions all the time. I am concerned about "summit fever" taking hold and bringing the OP to grief. That said, it can be glorious up there in winter. For that matter, It can be deadly in mid summer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pokeberry View Post
    I am starting at Springer Oct. 29. Anyone know how many people hike in.the winter? Where is the closest greyhound station?
    in another thread "hiking AT first time"you said

Quote Originally Posted by pokeberry View Post
    Definitely south. The northern section can close in severe weather and you would be disappointed if you made it that far to not be able to finish.
    but yet you going to try what will disappoint you??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Yes, I agree. The thought process will be undoubtedly different once OP reaches 'real wintery mountains'. There will be some shocking realizations once reaching snow in the Berkshires and Vermont. I think there will be great financial pressure as well because sometimes one will have to wait a few days before getting back out onto the trail. There will also be many sections with extremely strenuous unbroken snow where even snowshoes won't help. Cumulative number of trail days will probably introduce snowshoe failure. I would probably recommend carrying third snowshoe on the pack... just in case. etc etc ...

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I've backpacked in winter for many years, including the Presis in the dead of winter. The level of preparation for the traverse on the AT is different than that for parts further south and below treeline. Yes people do summit there all the time. They also turn back because of conditions all the time. I am concerned about "summit fever" taking hold and bringing the OP to grief. That said, it can be glorious up there in winter. For that matter, It can be deadly in mid summer.

Those that think they can thru-hike Vermont/NH or Maine in the dead of winter don't live here and don't know what its like. It is brutal. Belive me, I do live here and know what its like.

wintergear2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++