WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: winter hike

Default winter hike

I am starting at Springer Oct. 29. Anyone know how many people hike in.the winter? Where is the closest greyhound station?

Quote Originally Posted by pokeberry View Post
    I am starting at Springer Oct. 29. Anyone know how many people hike in.the winter? Where is the closest greyhound station?
    The closest Greyhound station to Springer is Gainesville, Ga. You are going to have some pretty nice hiking weather for about a month or maybe two but then it's going to get very cold.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

---------------
    Last edited by moytoy; 10-15-2012 at 05:16.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

thank you moytoy.

Journal Entries

you might want to have a back out plan since you will be hiking for 3-4 months in snow and ice (snowplow). it can get old fast. know where your bail out points are and how to get back to transportation. i wish you the best and think it would be great if you push thru but listen to your body and its needs. im not saying back out as in quit. but just a plan to come off to recharge your your morale if things get real low for you then return so you can have a successful thru.

Images

you will probably be alone. you will know its the weekend cause you will see hikers Saturday and Sunday.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

When you get to New England you will need a serious re-outfitting and advanced winter mountaineering skills. It will no longer be just walking.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I have section hiked the bottom third of the A.T., solo and in the winter. Plan on taking your time and not leap-frogging shelters when you get in the area of Roan Mtn.!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    When you get to New England you will need a serious re-outfitting and advanced winter mountaineering skills. It will no longer be just walking.
    It would be a miracle if he got even close to New England. Even in a mild, low snow year like last winter, long distance hiking up here is pretty much impossible.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

with his projected start date he should be reaching the New England states around April or May unless he has a lot of experience traveling through snow which is very slow going. I would estimate the cost of starting then would be twice the money and time of an average thru hike. it really depends on alot of variables. i wish him the best and pray he stays safe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    I would estimate the cost of starting then would be twice the money and time of an average thru hike.
    Great point about $$

Hi pokeberry, there won't be many hostels open either except Mountain Crossings, GA and Uncle Johnnys,Erwin and if they are, don't expect any running hot water and you better call ahead. I'm wanting to do a 10+ day section in Virginia myself. Look at my thread and contact me by pm if we could connect. When/if you get to Damascus, tell me and I'll know about when to meet you further into VA.

Last year in Jan there were no hostels open in Damascus except they let me stay in the one right across from Mt.Rogers Outfitters which had water AND electricity turned off. Got permission and the key at the MRO.
    Last edited by ednotmilkman; 10-16-2012 at 09:11.

Images

A few tips:

Have a warmer bag than you need. The added comfort will be greatly appreciated when the cold sets in.

Down booties are heaven.

Carry some extra food so that you can "hole-up" without worry if hit with a blizzard.

Carry some extra funds so you can prolong a town stay if the weather turns really nasty.

Carry a moderate size tarp and some line so you can rig an enclosure inside the shelter or cover the shelter entrance. Alternative, carry a double wall tent and use that.

Expect some nasty hiking weather.

Expect some beautiful hiking weather.

Expect some beautiful scenery for a day or two after you endure a blizzard.

Be careful and HAVE FUN!!!

I will be starting at Springer around the same time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by txlonghorn8783 View Post
    I will be starting at Springer around the same time.
    So even with a winter hike the crowd is building....

If you join up you could share "postholing" duties.

Journal Entries

This is not outrageous. I have hiked most of the AT in winter. If u start October 29 you will be past the Smokies /Roan area before the snow really builds up. Hiking the AT from Harpers Ferry to Vermont is no problem in winter, albeit not always easy. Shenandoah might be hairy. The problem is this; once you get to Vermont the hike is over, certainly by new Hampshire . Over. A slow pace gets u there in February march ish? , simply not going to happen unless serious support and expertise is present. That's a long way to go in potentially fatal conditions. One can hike a day or two or three in those conditions but to hike 6 weeks like that? You'd bound to end up dead or severely threatened at some point.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Did pokeberry state that he was thru-hiking? I only read he was starting at Springer for a "winter hike" on 10/29. I certainly don't consider early Nov "winter".
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

He did not state a tru hike just a winter hike. Winter there is no winter in the south.

I'm available for hiker extractions in Maine winters if necessary, have snowmobile will travel , drop me a pm and we can discuss $$ for return to civilization. You will be out there.........
    WALK ON

Images

He is in the class of 2013 registry as thru hiking.
    I believe he has a long timetable and no expectation of going anywhere near 6 months so is quite possibly going to get to New England at a "do-able" time of year.
    Whilst hard I believe he has a realistic attitude to what he is undertaking. (and yes I have a PM or two giving me more info to back that up)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++