WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Dixon Rollerpack

Has anyone seriously tested a dixon rollerpack (or like pack) for any extended distance on the AT?

I must say, I am intrigued. It sounds too good to be true, but I want to believe a roller pack can work especially if it means reducing the "felt weight" of a pack on a hike.

CB

Images

It wouldn't be permitted in wilderness areas. I'm not sure about the rest of the trail.

It would probably be fine on the right trail - well-graded, no blowdowns, no big rocky stairs to climb, no water crossings. Probably well suited to sherpa dad duty when taking the kids out.

Coincidentally, I've never found such a trail. Im not trying to be a jerk about it. That thing just doesn't match my hiking style. But under the right conditions, it would probably be great.

Images

i made something similar for my grandson. i just use it for flat nature trails in NJ. i don't know if i would want to go down or up with it.

IMGP8253.jpg
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Images

I can't get to your link, and I'm signed in at HF.

Images

sorry, in the pay section.

Wouldn't have a chance through NH

With a comfortable pack, why would you need wheels? It would be more weight to move uphill. Physics always wins.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

there is a youtube video of a woman using it on the AT... the description says she used it for 20 miles and liked it. looks like she is on some relatively rugged terrain... eh well at least it's not totally flat and smooth.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Gq1...feature=relmfu

there are other videos too if you search.

i like my backpack though!

Images

Her roller pack survived, but look how slow she was. With a light pack and strong healthy ankles, that obstacle should have been done in fraction of the time.

i guess so but we don't really know how fast she hikes to begin with.. maybe she always hikes that slowly.. who knows.
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."

i like the 1L metal bottle hanging sideways waiting to smack her in the side of the face.. pack looks awkward as hell.. you can tell she is concentrating like crazy to drag that thing over pretty small rocks.

Now go do the wood steps on Moosilauke.. or the rock trails around the Presidentials.. people have trouble even without dragging a small child hanging from their waist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5EDI6jw5c&feature=plcp

I figure this pack really will only work in certain sections at best for sure. I cannot image taking in over anything with a good amount of steps.

Like I mentioned in the start of the post, I got hooked on the idea from using my wheeled backpack around campus, so I did a little test with my IKEA two wheel pack by taking it up two flights of stairs. I had maybe 10 pounds in it.

This test simulation a very rocky area with 5-8 inch steps.

What I learned from my test that is not mentioned when using a wheeled pack is DRAG. While a good portion of the weight does ride on the wheel(s), it does not compensate for drag on the wheel on rough surfaces. I noticeably need to use more effort to PULL the pack more on rougher surfaces.

And my stairs test had me Toughing to get over up each step because the wheel got caught on the sharp angles.

The drag element may prove very tiresome on the lower back/hips where the DRAG/PULL tension would occur creating more work.

I feel a flat drag plate would be useful in this design to help navigate larger rocks that the wheel would get stuck on, but there will still be friction drag.

This video shows a mostly rock-less wide trial, which would be great for a roller pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBmMt...feature=relmfu

May as well just get a golf bag and a caddy to haul it around for you

Images

Looks like it would be great foot the supermarket!

Trail...not so much.

Journal Entries
    Images

to each his own...i don't think it sounds appealling at all...and technically wouldn't be backpacking....that would be packdragging :P

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    to each his own...i don't think it sounds appealling at all...and technically wouldn't be backpacking....that would be packdragging :P

.............packdragging...........:P LOL!! But seriously, I can see how the concept would work well for some people.

Man, KK... ur homemade deal for ur grandson was a great invention, you needed to get paid "big bucks" for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    .............packdragging...........:P LOL!! But seriously, I can see how the concept would work well for some people.

Man, KK... ur homemade deal for ur grandson was a great invention, you needed to get paid "big bucks" for that one.
    Since it is his grandson, he probably just settle for "big hugs" and admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Since it is his grandson, he probably just settle for "big hugs" and admiration.
    Absolutely. I was thinking more of gaining a patent for his great invention. That's where he would get the big bucks..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++