WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Spence Field

Default Spence Field

Per the GSMNP website the water source at Spence Field Shelter is dry. Does anyone know of any alternate water sources close to this shelter?

Also if anyone has been on the trail and stopped at Silers Bald Shelter and Campsite 113 how are the water sources there?

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lwood View Post
    Per the GSMNP website the water source at Spence Field Shelter is dry. Does anyone know of any alternate water sources close to this shelter?

Also if anyone has been on the trail and stopped at Silers Bald Shelter and Campsite 113 how are the water sources there?

Thanks!
    Spence field water source is the headwater of Eagle Creek. If it is dry near the shelter you only need to follow Eagle Creek Trail down a little further, the Eagle Creek Trail is always wet. There is also a spring about 0.1-0.2 down Bote Mountain Trail which had had water for me before in dry weather, but I haven't been up there in months so I don't know how it is right now.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know about the current conditions at #113, but I've camped there when 'the pipe' water source was bone dry. But all I had to do was walk down the raven about 100 feet and could get plenty of water from a small flow. Now the flow was small enough that those using the bags and gravity filters might have some difficulties. But with a pump, I had no problem. I don't have experience with Spence Field, but from the looks of the topography, it looks like you might have to hike down hill for about 0.3 miles to find water.

++ New Posts ++