WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default cell phone/data service between Duncannon/Swatara PA?

I don't plan on much communication, but would like to send cords/gps data once and awhile while on my hike. I've heard that between Duncannon and Swatara Gap is pretty remote. Does anyone have current reception info on this section? Should I expect nothing, or full coverage? Any data? yaddayadda

I had service some miles east of Duncannon. . .I think - there is a parking lot above 225 , I think it was 225 - I needed to make a call, there was also a message board there (would have to look up route numberto verify where it was) and definatley had reception there. I distinctly remember NOT having any service after swatara to Port Clinton . . but sounds like you're not asking about that section. if it matters, we loved the climb up and out of Duncannon toward Swatara . . .

It's a shame that you can't look up this information in the data book or companion. It would so easy to list all the shelters and indicate how many fair weather bars a Verizon phone gets. The ATC is so out of touch with todays hikers needs. To answer your question. The first part of your trip has great cell service no matter what carrier or weather. Both Clarks Ferry and Peters Mt shelter have great service. As you approach Rauche Gap shelter the signal goes to crap. You won't get a good signal again until you are near your destination.

First of all you failed to mention which provider you have. Secondly maybe you should go to your providers' website and look at their coverage map. I remember walking right past a cell phone tower somewhere in PA and had full coverage and that was more than 5 years ago. Since you will be mostly on a ridge if you have a major provider you should be fine.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

++ New Posts ++