WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section-Hiking Shuttles

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to section-hike from Springer Mountain to Damascus this March/April.
    As I have heard there are some shuttle services from Atlanta to Springer Mountain, unfortunately I could not find information on shuttles from Damascus.. I would need to get back to Atlanta as I will be coming from Europe so I need to start and end my journey at the same place.
    Does anyone could give an advice how to get from Damascus to Atlanta - I was thinking of getting a shuttle to Charlotte and then fly to Atlanta but I could also not find any information on shuttle services to Charlotte. Is Knoxville another option?
    Thanks a lot for your advises..

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

PM Lone Wolf here on Whiteblaze.

Journal Entries
    Images

PM Lonewolf & have him to take you to Abingdon & catch a bus to Gainsvilles then grab another shuttle down there
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    PM Lonewolf & have him to take you to Abingdon & catch a bus to Gainsvilles then grab another shuttle down there
    Is there bus service in Abingdon? I was looking for that just the other day and I didn't see any.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Is there bus service in Abingdon? I was looking for that just the other day and I didn't see any.

No to Abingdon.

Yes to
    Bristol Tennessee, or to Marion Virginia.

Get a shuttle to either from Damascus.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

You could also take a train from Danville, VA to Atlanta. Would be much cheaper than a flight.

Tri-cities airport is closest to Damascus in Blountville, TN. Yes its the most expensive option, but the flight is only 1 hour for the nonstop (~$450) or (~270) with one-stop in Charlotte in 4 hours.

Other Amtrak options include Charlotte, NC, Greensboro, NC, and Lynchburg, VA, all about a 3 hour drive. Most importantly, fares are refundable if you need to reschedule, and are usually not outrageous even at the last minute. For example, fare is currently $70 from Charlotte to Atlanta for April 30. You can take MARTA (the Atlanta light rail) from the Amtrak station to ATL airport.

Note, if you hike faster than expected, you may want to end your hike near Atkins, VA, which is even closer to the Lynchburg, VA Amtrak station. That way you can hike the Grayson Highlands, a great end to your hike.

I may be hiking in that area in April, and might be able to drop you off at a station on the way back (especially if you finish on a Sunday). Also, if you can get to Blacksburg, Christiansburg, or Roanoke, Virginia, there is a cheap bus going to the Lynchburg station.

Hope you have a great hike!

[QUOTE=joshuasdad;1398627. You can take MARTA (the Atlanta light rail) from the Amtrak station to ATL airport.

[/QUOTE]

The Marta train is about a mile from the Amtrak station. You'll need to walk, taxi, or take a Marta bus first.

++ New Posts ++