WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Shuttle service in Erwin area

I posted a month or so ago about starting a shuttle service operating out of Erwin, TN.

I'm creep-creep-creeping in that direction. Right now I'm still involved with my business in NC and sorting that out but I am going to pursue this idea and see where it goes.

Got a domain name already.. hikershuttles.com

No website yet, and I'm still sorting out license/tax/business structure and vehicle/insurance requirements but when I get finished it'll be done right.

Anyway - I'm up and running on a part time basis now and already have several shuttles setup for this month. If you know of anyone needing a shuttle in/out of the Erwin area tell 'em to give me a ring. 423-330-7416 or tbradnc <at> gmail.com.

Springer to Rockfish Gap, Knoxville/Asheville/Tri-Cities airports, and basically anywhere a hiker needs to go -even into a larger town for hard to find resupply.

Well bro i hate to burst your bubble but me and all my friends use Uncle Johnnys for shuttles in the Erwin area, but good luck with that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Well bro i hate to burst your bubble but me and all my friends use Uncle Johnnys for shuttles in the Erwin area, but good luck with that.
    Got it everyone!!!! Since Red-Dog & a few of his friends use UJ, Everyone else must use UJ??? Very Strange Response??

Great Luck on your new business venture 10-K!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I never said every body has to use UJ for shuttles, what i said was that me all my friends use UJ you can use whom ever the HELL you want and if you don't like what i say on WB you can GO TO HELL, you got that

Wow, somebody's on the rag today.

No harm RD - I am aware of uncle Johnny's. Keep me in mind it never hurts to have a backup.

Thanks Boots!

Images

Best of luck 10K. You are going to meet alot of great folks.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

My Bad RD, didn't mean to come down on you so hard!! Just SO very tired of Bubble Bursters on here. This is supposed to be a dreamers & encouragers site & I so hope it continues to move ever forward in that direction!! ~ Peace ~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Yeah 10-K i will keep you in mind but only if Uncle Johnnies is full with no time to shuttle.

Gives me a reason to go to Erwin and hike.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Much better than getting attacked by a bear or snake bit!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Much better than getting attacked by a bear or snake bit!
    Will ur hound be ridin' Shotgun???

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    Will ur hound be ridin' Shotgun???
    Hope so, I like dogs.

10-K, I don't know when, since my employment situation has been in flux for a few month, but you offered to help me on, based only on our exchanges here, on a past hike. That means a lot to me. So at some point in the hopefully near future, I'm going to need a ride and perhaps a place to park the hike-mo-bile for a section though your area. I'd be honored to have a conversation with you while you shuttle me around.

10-K, best of luck; I'll keep your number.

good to know, thanks for posting and good luck with the new service. For hikers, it's always good to know of more than one shuttle that's available on a section hike. I just finished a Damascus - Atkins, VA section hike this week... left my car at the Relax Inn in Atkins at I-81, and the motel operator drove me back to Damscus to start the hike nobo....when I finished the hike and drove back down to Damascus for pizza/wings at Quincy's .... I met another section hiker who was sitting in Quincys for a couple hours, waiting for a shuttle driver to return his phone calls. I don't know who the driver was. But I've learned on any section hike to keep a short list of at least 2 or 3 shuttle drivers that work that section. Stuff happens, drivers get busy, maybe lose cell signal. You will need a thick skin to run a shuttle svc or hiker hostel these days!

AT 2012

...having been the lucky recipient of an early-days 10K shuttle, I give the service a 10 snicker bars rating!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I never said every body has to use UJ for shuttles, what i said was that me all my friends use UJ you can use whom ever the HELL you want and if you don't like what i say on WB you can GO TO HELL, you got that
    You sound like a typical UJ employee for the most part.

I'm an equal opportunity shuttler. You can even hate me if you want - but I'll get you there if it can be done...

It will be interesting to see if the numbers will work out for you.

I've looked at this in the past and concluded that most shuttlers don't charge enough to cover their true costs and a decent hourly wage for themselves.

Most casual shuttlers do not carry the necessary supplemental insurance and are putting all of their assets at risk and more for a $100 (or whatever) shuttle fee.

My carrier, State Farm, does not offer the supplemental insurance and gave me recommendations for companies that do. The estimate was $2,500 a year for the additional liability coverage. Unless you are shuttling on a full time basis that pretty much makes shuttling a financial loser. 25 shuttles a year means you have to charge $100 for each one just to recoup the insurance. 50 shuttles works out to $50 a shuttle.

Perhaps the $2,500 premium estimate was high. I don't know. I stopped thinking about shuttling at that point.

In a perfect world I'd have 2 shuttles to Baxter State Park every month - that would cover the insurance.

It remains to be seen how it'll play out. I'm going to try try and figure out a way to get up on Uncle Johnny's shuttle list - most of UJ's shuttles are ran by locals who have an in with whoever is running the show at the hostel.

Janet (Miss Janet) also shuttles a lot in the area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++