WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Gossamer Mariposa Pack - Opinions?

Hello all. I am currently researching gear for my planned NOB Thru Hike in 2013. I am trying to go as light as possible. I've been looking at Goassmer Gear's Mariposa pack. I am 5'5", 125 pounds. It looks like a medium would just about fit the bill. Estimates on the amount of gear in the pack look to be in the range of 25-27#'s altogether, (fully loaded). Does anyone have any experience with this pack? Comfort, durability? I'd be particularly interested in hearing from any women who have used this pack or other ultralight packs.

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpa...-backpack.html

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

Kathy

AT 2012

I use the mariposa as my winter pack -- I never carry more than 20 pounds in it, but also have taken the removable stays out (never even tried them out...). without the stays it is quite comfortable at 20 pounds, and i imagine it would suffice for you with a bit heavier load with the stays and the newer pack design. i an 5'-6" and 140 pounds -- so not so different... I also have only used the sitpad, not the multiple section foam pad, and my pack is a couple of years old. i am a real fan of gossamer gear... i use their murmur for my summer pack.
    Lazarus

Hi Lazarus - Thanks for the reply. I noted that you use a different pack in summer. Is there any reason I couldn't use the Mariposa the whole trip....which will certainly last thru the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I use the mariposa as my winter pack -- I never carry more than 20 pounds in it, but also have taken the removable stays out (never even tried them out...). without the stays it is quite comfortable at 20 pounds, and i imagine it would suffice for you with a bit heavier load with the stays and the newer pack design. i an 5'-6" and 140 pounds -- so not so different... I also have only used the sitpad, not the multiple section foam pad, and my pack is a couple of years old. i am a real fan of gossamer gear... i use their murmur for my summer pack.

Hike smarter, not harder.

My Mariposa is great, but I use a Gorilla when it's warm. Don't need the extra room. Depending on the total weight, I'll sometimes use a ULA pack.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    Hi Lazarus - Thanks for the reply. I noted that you use a different pack in summer. Is there any reason I couldn't use the Mariposa the whole trip....which will certainly last thru the summer?
    you can and should use the mariposa the whole way -- i only use a different pack in the summer because my summer pack weight and size requirements are greatly reduced so i can go with a really light pack. i think the mariposa is an ideal all season/thru hike pack. By the way, i don't sit on my pack, i put it on and take it off with care and don't throw it around... and haven't had any signs of wear or failure in over 1000 miles.
    Lazarus

I have both ULA and Gossamer Gear packs. ULA seem to be a bit more sturdy. Both are excellent. ULA makes packs specifically designed for women ("S" straps).

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post

you could absolutely use the same pack. the reason some people switch packs is because they are seasoned hikers and know that when the temps get warmer, they are going to drop X amount gear and not need the extra space. its less efficient. but of course they have the two packs.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

I am male, but I love my MP+. I have carried weights up to the low 30 pound range (with 6-7 days of food), and the pack is very comfortable. I haven't had any issues with durability, and love the functionality (almost perfect for me). The latest generation with the sewn-in hipbelt pockets and lid cover just add to what I have found on my older model. I think you will be very happy with the pack and with Gossamer Gear.

Journal Entries

I hope that "gear in the pack" estimated wt includes food and water.
    You are at the upper end of where you want to be with a UL pack.
    My honest opinion, is if you have to ask, you dont need a UL pack.
    A pack that weighs 1-1.5 lbs more will carry 10x better than an overloaded UL pack.

Garlic
    Images

The last GG pack I bought, the now-discontinued G-5, ran on the large size. The chart said medium, but that was too big and I ended up sending it back for a small. I'm a 5-9, 150 male. That was years ago and sizing may be different. GG makes a great pack.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Something to keep in mind, maybe load up the mariposa with the most you will be carrying and make sure that the size is correct. I am 5' 5 1/2 and I feel that the small would fit me better.

Cary

Here's a Mariposa pack review written by a female backpacker

http://jermmsoutside.com/2012/11/23/...mariposa-pack/

"I have both ULA and Gossamer Gear packs. ULA seem to be a bit more sturdy."
    I started the AT with a Mariposa Plus that had quite a lot of miles on it, over 1000, and used it about half-way until it was getting flakey on me, particularly in the waistbelt area. In general, don't expect to get more than a thru-hike out of one of these, but you should be able to get one thru-hike. The ULA Circuit I replaced it with did the second half of the AT, all of the CDT last year, and about 500 miles of hiking this year and it's still going strong. A little heavier, but substantially more durable (will last longer), carries more comfortably, has just the key features that I really like --- waist belts, shoulder load adjuster straps.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

++ New Posts ++