WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miles per day?

Question Miles per day?

Just out of curiosity... what is everyone's miles per day average?

Images

This is a tough question, everyone is different. My average is 12-14 miles per day. This is with a 30 lb pack. Lots of variables play into this, terrain, pack weight, conditioning, etc...You will need to get out and do some 'shake down' hikes and hike until you are tired, then try the same distance the next day and see how you fare. Your body will tell you when it's time to stop.

Journal Entries

Agree with barf_jay A lot will factor into that, the 12-14 is a good baseline but that's all it is. Terrain, shelter/campsite locations will play a big factor. The other factor is physical condition and comfort level, while pushing yourself from time to time can be helpful, you don't want to stive for something that is not right for you. Also for a long distance hike such as the AT your rate of 'getting your trail legs' (more miles) may be different from other people.

The best thing is just get out there and do it, find and set your own pace and let it grow as you are ready.

Peace

I average around 9-10 miles a day (I'm a relatively new hiker)

I'm more curious as to how I stack up with other more experienced hikers

So feel free to brag away lol

Journal Entries

Check out my partial journal here on WB. It starts out at Springer and runs to HF. It lists out mileage from the beginning and you can see how the miles progress and i have averaged out for each week. I stopped recording the info after HF because to be honest it was a pain to type.

I generally average about 18-25 a day, but I'll still do a 10-15 mile day if I'm ahead of schedule or something. My baseweight is between 5 and 7lbs depending on season, and I prefer to keep moving during the daylight.

map man has compiled statistics on AT NOBO pace. I played around with some graphical representations documented at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...sual&highlight=

(Hours of daylight - 1) * 2. Unless I'm in NH or ME then it's 1.5.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Fredmugs equation seems like a good one. I tend to slow way down after about 17 miles in tough terrain.

Journal Entries

fredmugs, that is a very similar equation to what i use when hiking unfamiliar trails and terrain. i use (HoD-2)*2 =miles.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Fredmugs equation seems like a good one. I tend to slow way down after about 17 miles in tough terrain.

Images

Just came back from a Smokys section hike. With trail side social stops, water up's, lunch, vista viewing, pictures etc., I'm doing a mile for every 40 min between start and stopping at the end of the day. I'm carrying about 35lbs. I know what I can do 1/10th of a mile in varying terrain types. Steep uphill, starting a section hike I do a 1/10 in 7min. Favorable terrain is slightly less than 3 min per 1/10th.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Garlic
    Images

I think it depends greatly on your experience. My first thru hike was the PCT, where it's pretty much necessary to keep 17 to 18 mpd pace if you want to complete a NOBO hike. On the CDT, I had to step that up a bit, where the trail is just a little longer and the season is not, so I made about 19. On the AT, I had my gear dialed in and my hiking style where I wanted it, and made just over 20 mpd. That was surprising, because all the "experts" were saying the AT is harder and would slow down the pace, but that was not my experience. When I went on to hike the Arizona Trail, there were some level desert stretches with 40 miles between water sources and I came very close to hiking those in one day. I was hiking 90 miles in three days pretty often, during some shorter early spring days, too. Then I met a few hikers who were hiking 90 miles in two days! Wow.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

(12 hours - (20 minutes * elevation gain/500 ft)) * 2 if doing a full day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zcalla20 View Post
    I average around 9-10 miles a day (I'm a relatively new hiker)

I'm more curious as to how I stack up with other more experienced hikers

So feel free to brag away lol
    do you really average 9-10 miles a **day** or are you just not hiking all day?

to me, how you define a day is the biggest issue, terrain is second, experience is third. in mid june in someplace like shenandoah, anyone can walk in excess of 20 miles if youre conditioned to walk during all or most of the available daylight. conversely, no one can walk all day if a day is 15 hours long and only walk 9 miles when the day is over.

since youre new the best thing i can tell you is you can walk much further than you think you can, dont be afraid to try, despite what some fear mongers around here might say.

Images

I'm sure the trail makes a big difference. On the PCT I've been able to do 20 mpd on short winter days. I've never stretched my legs on longer days though. My longest day was 23 miles, but I took one long break in the middle of the day and then stopped early. Most of my hikes in the past year or so have been like that. That is, I'll do something like 14 miles with lots of time doing other stuff.

Doing a lot of miles is mostly about time management. Get up at first light. Be on the trail 10 minutes later. Keep breaks to 5 minutes. Stop hiking when the sun starts to hit the horizon. When your body is ready for it, which is mostly about blister prevention, you'll get your miles in. It won't even matter if you're a slow hiker.

yep.. lots of variables.. sometimes going shorter or longer sets up the next day(s).. especially true when you are using shelters. sometimes you are tired and decide to kick off early or take a big break.. sometimes you get motivated and aim for something big

Images

We got equations now?

strangest thing i never gave two.....about miles until i started planning my thru hike.i usually spend more time admiring the birds and wishing i could fly if just for the day,or following game trails just to see the animals.now that im training hard i can get a long way from where i started and have alot of cofidence of what i can do.the miles always change with the path,but i go until i get to melt down in my legs then i know its time to camp.the hike back will be on worked legs so your endurance grows steadily.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I think it depends greatly on your experience. My first thru hike was the PCT, where it's pretty much necessary to keep 17 to 18 mpd pace if you want to complete a NOBO hike. On the CDT, I had to step that up a bit, where the trail is just a little longer and the season is not, so I made about 19. On the AT, I had my gear dialed in and my hiking style where I wanted it, and made just over 20 mpd. That was surprising, because all the "experts" were saying the AT is harder and would slow down the pace, but that was not my experience. When I went on to hike the Arizona Trail, there were some level desert stretches with 40 miles between water sources and I came very close to hiking those in one day. I was hiking 90 miles in three days pretty often, during some shorter early spring days, too. Then I met a few hikers who were hiking 90 miles in two days! Wow.
    awesome resume...congrats !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++