WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default What's the hurry thru-guys?!

So I've been on the trail 14 days now noBo and met a ton of SoBo thru hikers since I started... Every single one of which has said they have been averaging 20-25 miles a day for months now. I don't get it. Every personal account I've read of the trail has said take it slow, ENJOY it, have FUN. My definition of fun on the trail is 10-15 miles a day, getting to a shelter mid afternoon, followed by meeting some great, interesting people at the there, socializing over dinner and a fire, going to sleep at 9 or 10, waking up at 7, and being back on the trail by 8. Every thru hiker I've met has not socialized past the "Hi how are you nice to meet you" stage and has gone straight to bed at 8 and woken up at 530 and said they only ever stop in a town for an hour or so I get food then move on. I'm sorry but where is the FUN in that? That's why we're here, on the trail, right? To meet people, see new things, and have fun... Where's the fun in this gung-Ho, sleep-eat-walk-sleep mentality? I know they say to hike your own hike, and I fully intend to do so, I don't care if I take 10 months to complete the trail I care about meeting people, and enjoying my time in the amazing, awesome little towns all along the way. I just don't get why all these thru hikers don't care about doing the same.

Maybe they are enjoying it, the challenge of going fast and making miles. Maybe what they enjoy is different from what you enjoy. Hence the phrase, hike your own hike. I really don't care to meet people or socialize much--I go hiking and backpacking to get away from people, quite frankly. Doesn't make why you are out there any better or worse than why we go out--just different. When we thru in a few years, we will go SoBo because we don't want to start with the crowds of people.

Default The operative phrase being "My definition of fun on the trail"

Your way of enjoying the AT does sound like a lot of fun. There are an infinite variety of other ways folks of all ages, sizes, shapes, and personalities enjoy it, hence the HYOH mantra.

AO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by evansprater View Post
    So I've been on the trail 14 days now noBo and met a ton of SoBo thru hikers since I started... Every single one of which has said they have been averaging 20-25 miles a day for months now. I don't get it. Every personal account I've read of the trail has said take it slow, ENJOY it, have FUN. My definition of fun on the trail is 10-15 miles a day, getting to a shelter mid afternoon, followed by meeting some great, interesting people at the there, socializing over dinner and a fire, going to sleep at 9 or 10, waking up at 7, and being back on the trail by 8. Every thru hiker I've met has not socialized past the "Hi how are you nice to meet you" stage and has gone straight to bed at 8 and woken up at 530 and said they only ever stop in a town for an hour or so I get food then move on. I'm sorry but where is the FUN in that? That's why we're here, on the trail, right? To meet people, see new things, and have fun... Where's the fun in this gung-Ho, sleep-eat-walk-sleep mentality? I know they say to hike your own hike, and I fully intend to do so, I don't care if I take 10 months to complete the trail I care about meeting people, and enjoying my time in the amazing, awesome little towns all along the way. I just don't get why all these thru hikers don't care about doing the same.

call me antisocial, but i wouldnt enjoy what you want to do at all. you got a problem with that? what exactly?

most thrus you meet anytime anyplace, once they get going hit 20 a day fairly regularly.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Try to understand people enjoy things differently.

Images

Your mentality / priorities may change as your journey progresses.... Myself, I just like to get out and breathe it all in, but I'm not a "Thru-Hiker". Miles don't matter to me. Have fun and Hike Your Own Hike.
    Last edited by brotheral; 10-23-2012 at 07:03.
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

thru-hike = hurry up and get through it. it's all about the destination not the journey for most

Journal Entries

Default What's the hurry thru-guys?!

Hikers who choose SoBo chose for various reasons one reason is fewer people hike that direction and there will be limited social interaction and less opportunity and that's what they want.

you got a problem with that? what exactly?

[/QUOTE]WOW CHILL OUT

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    thru-hike = hurry up and get through it. it's all about the destination not the journey for most
    I don't think you are suposed to say that in public, Lone Wolf.

Didn't you get the memo?

Of the 13,000+ hikers who claim to have hiked the entire trail, what percentage do you think never spent more than a dozen or so nights in a tent ever again?

Serious question.

The sample of folks here at white blaze is not all that representative on that score.

Images

Usually when people say they just don't get why someone does something different than they do, they usually are making no attempt to understand why. As far as your question....
    1) maybe folks don't have a rich relative that can fund their hike.
    2) maybe they have to go back to school, military, peace corp etc and have a limited window.
    3) maybe they enjoy walking.
    4) maybe they are anxious to get done. You have only been on the trail 14 days. I suspect that your enthusiasm will wane a bit over time.
    5) maybe they like the challenge.

I could go on but it is pointless. If you made even half an attempt to understand, you would even if you don't believe it is right for you.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

At some point (at least for me) a thru becomes a goal that just needs to be completed. Most everyone I was with in Maine just wanted to finish and go home.
    Some people just quit at this point but many feel they have too much invested in it or just don't have it in them to quit, so they continue.
    What you're seeing is people who have been on the trail for months. Unless you've done it it's hard to understand.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    At some point (at least for me) a thru becomes a goal that just needs to be completed. Most everyone I was with in Maine just wanted to finish and go home.
    Some people just quit at this point but many feel they have too much invested in it or just don't have it in them to quit, so they continue.
    What you're seeing is people who have been on the trail for months. Unless you've done it it's hard to understand.
    my first 2 times i made it to gorham and quit. i had enuf. wasn't gonna force myself through maine for a stupid picture at a sign

Images

I hike/backpack in both manners described. And I enjoy both. The reason: I believe its because I make my decision on how I feel and usually allow for that flexibility. to me, if you are so rigid that you don't allow for that and can still truly enjoy yourself, then awesome. I realize that certain hikes need to be more regimented for pace and scheduling, which is what I do on my day hikes of 14ers and my annual 36 mile Rachel Carson AT challenge in Pittsburgh. When "real" backpacking, I am content with 8 hr days of hiking at roughly 2 mph vs 2.5 - 3. tdoczi is very vocal about his style and he had just as much right to enjoy it add you do yours. I get the impression from the lack of levity in most of his posts that he is angry at those that carry more than an 8lb base weight and hike less than 20 in a day.

he probly cuts the handles off his toothbrushes too

Journal Entries

I hiked fast so i could spend the time at the places i felt like with out being interrupted by someone else trying to tell me how to hike and what i am missing. there is nothing worse than someone that just wont shut up or leave you alone. let me hike, let me stop, and let me enjoy it my way. i left camp early each morning so i could enjoy the views of the day without being bothered by someones running opinion like yours. i enjoyed my journey, the destination, dreams, smells, sights, people and my challenges. dont judge me for how i choose to hike. what is your problem? you got a lot to learn about hiking and other people.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

my first 2 times i made it to gorham and quit. i had enuf. wasn't gonna force myself through maine for a stupid picture at a sign
    Well I'm glad I didn't quit in Gorham, from there north is the most beautiful part of the trail!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Ya gotta love the minimizers.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Well I'm glad I didn't quit in Gorham, from there north is the most beautiful part of the trail!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Lighten up, people. geez
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    but i went on to hike maine about 7 times

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++