WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone here have Nunatak make them a custom sleeping bag?

Nunatak is looking to be my only choice for the features I want.....but, the price is high and there has been at least one other whom I aware of that was not happy.
    Anyone have experience with them?

Images

I've got a quilt on order. It hasn't arrived yet (it takes quite a while), so I can't tell you how the product is yet, unfortunately. I've only heard outstanding reviews of their stuff, though. And Tom's been great so far (although I didn't order any customizations; I just had some questions about what I was ordering).

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I like mine. If I had it to do over, I would make it for a lower than 20* temperature, but that has been handled by carrying my Speer quilt, which is very lightweight down. As it happened, I could not carry on with my thru attempt because I was a little sick and very injured. Still, as I stayed on the trail for a week, hoping to get better, I was able to walk around with it as needed.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'd talk to some of the cottage industry guys, like Tim Marshall at Enlightened Equipment.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Journal Entries

Personally I think they are too expensive for what they offer.
    They also made a custom bag for one review article thats on BPL, it came in several oz overwt if I recall correctly. The purchaser was a bit PO'd.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I'd talk to some of the cottage industry guys, like Tim Marshall at Enlightened Equipment.
    Thanks. I did talk to Tim a couple months ago. He wasn't at all interested in doing a bag. Only quilts. I like Joe at Zpacks but I'd prefer to have a foot box.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Personally I think they are too expensive for what they offer.
    They also made a custom bag for one review article thats on BPL, it came in several oz overwt if I recall correctly. The purchaser was a bit PO'd.
    Yes, I saw that on BPL too...and I agree on the pricing. I don't know what justifies that much more money. Thanks. Thanks also to the others who replied.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Did you try Feathered Friends?

Sorry, I missed the bag part of the question. Quilt guy, what can I say?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I have three Feathered Friends bags made in the late 1980s. Top notch stuff. I had mine overstuffed at a minimal upcharge. I hang them for storage and they are almost as good as new (though I haven't used them regularly in a few years since I hammock lately).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by corrodedarcher View Post
    Thanks. I did talk to Tim a couple months ago. He wasn't at all interested in doing a bag. Only quilts. I like Joe at Zpacks but I'd prefer to have a foot box.
    I just bought a quilt from Z Packs and the quilt does have a sewn up foot box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Nunatak build me a top quilt quite a while ago, I think is was just before my 2004 AT thru hike. I wanted one that was a bit shorter and lighter than their standard offerings and also didn't want any straps, etc. to get in the way when using it in a hammock. It's been good and I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Did you try Feathered Friends?

Sorry, I missed the bag part of the question. Quilt guy, what can I say?
    No worries.

On FF, actually, I did not. They don't quite have a bag that's real close to what I'm looking for so assumed they wouldn't be willing to do what I wanted. Perhaps I should check though.

I'm wanting a bag like the Nunatak Alpinist but without the hood and with lighter shell materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I just bought a quilt from Z Packs and the quilt does have a sewn up foot box.
    Sorry. I should have clarified. I want a foot box like Nunatak uses...and Western Mountaineering. Or has Zpacks recently changed their construction methods in the foot area?

Images

I have a Raku. For winter it's the bomb. Finish your hike for the day, slip into the Raku, and you won't get chilled while doing your camp chores. Expensive, yes, but the price compares favorably with buying a good winter bag plus a down jacket for camp wear.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I have a Raku. For winter it's the bomb. Finish your hike for the day, slip into the Raku, and you won't get chilled while doing your camp chores. Expensive, yes, but the price compares favorably with buying a good winter bag plus a down jacket for camp wear.
    I have a similar bag, a Feathered Friends Rock Wren. Love the concept, and the bag, but rarely use it any more. My wife has one too. Loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by corrodedarcher View Post
    I have a similar bag, a Feathered Friends Rock Wren. Love the concept, and the bag, but rarely use it any more. My wife has one too. Loves it.
    The problem with the Rock Wren is that it's a non-tapered bag. In order to be able to pull it up to walk in it, the foot section has the same circumference as the shoulder and waist (60/60/60"). It's tight at my shoulders, just right at my waist/hips, and way too big at the feet (causing my feet to have to heat up too much volume inside). My opinion is that it needs a full zip with a taper toward the feet and a velcro patch on the back at waist height so you could unzip the foot section and stick the bottom hem to the back of the waist, allowing you to walk about. The weight difference of the added zipper length will probably be more than offset by the need for less fabric and down towards the foot end of the bag.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The problem with the Rock Wren is that it's a non-tapered bag. In order to be able to pull it up to walk in it, the foot section has the same circumference as the shoulder and waist (60/60/60"). It's tight at my shoulders, just right at my waist/hips, and way too big at the feet (causing my feet to have to heat up too much volume inside). My opinion is that it needs a full zip with a taper toward the feet and a velcro patch on the back at waist height so you could unzip the foot section and stick the bottom hem to the back of the waist, allowing you to walk about. The weight difference of the added zipper length will probably be more than offset by the need for less fabric and down towards the foot end of the bag.
    That would be a nice bag!

Tom at Nunatak made me a quilt that I just love. I wanted a light summer quilt, because the typical 20 or 40 degree bag is just too warm in hot conditions. He took the time to talk with me about my sleeping style, build, what type of weather/season I wanted the quilt for, made a few suggestions as to what he felt might work well for me, and a few weeks later I had my customized quilt. 12.7 oz, and sleeping with a Montbell down jacket and insulated pants, I have slept comfortably down to freezing with the quilt, yet it's great for those hot summer nights.

The cost is on the high side, but it's a custom, quality product, and I would buy it over again. Someday I hope to buy a colder weather Nunatak quilt too.

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    Tom at Nunatak made me a quilt that I just love. I wanted a light summer quilt, because the typical 20 or 40 degree bag is just too warm in hot conditions. He took the time to talk with me about my sleeping style, build, what type of weather/season I wanted the quilt for, made a few suggestions as to what he felt might work well for me, and a few weeks later I had my customized quilt. 12.7 oz, and sleeping with a Montbell down jacket and insulated pants, I have slept comfortably down to freezing with the quilt, yet it's great for those hot summer nights.

The cost is on the high side, but it's a custom, quality product, and I would buy it over again. Someday I hope to buy a colder weather Nunatak quilt too.
    Sounds like a nice quilt! Thanks for the info.

++ New Posts ++