WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taking the Bus

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you Alligator I will check into Megabus sounds safer I'll be doing the AT with all three of my children My son is 22 and my daughters are 21 and 17. Not sure the dog will be the choice for us.

Starbright
    I know that you're on a really strict budget But consider this: For twice what you're going to pay Greyhound , Delta will fly you from Memphis to Atlanta in 1hr 20 min
    Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    26hrs from Ohio to Vermont with a talon 44 on my lap the whole time with treking poles jabing me the whole way...no way my pack was leaving my side...if at all possible i will never ride a bus again
    Don't know where you are in Ohio but if you are in the northern part of the state, it is well worth taking the Amtrak instead. Ohio to Vermont is $80, no transfers, pack easily fits the overhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegaBus seems to have very limited routes.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I belive Megabus only has stops in major cities, which is great if you only want to go from one city to another.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had any bad experiances riding the "dog". Sure, it's a cattle car, but so aren't airplanes these days. I did once got confused as to which gate I was suppost to be at in NYC and missed the last bus out of town to where I was going, but that was my own fault.

That said, I wouldn't want to take a trip lasting more than a day and a half. Just an overnight trip is enough to turn you into a zombie. And try to avoid traveling if there is even a hint of bad weather along the way, that can pose some real problems. The bottom line is buses can still get you to places fairly inexpensively that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to get to.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Assuming we are talking Memphis to Atlanta one way, then:

Amtrak would cost over $124 but take two days with an overnight layover in New Orleans (yuck).

Non-stop flights can be had for less than $150.

For 4 people, a cheaper option might be to rent a car (one way). I came up with a price of about $380 for two days. One-way car rentals can be cheap or expensive, depending on the drop-off fee. This one isn't such a good deal, but cheaper than train or plane for 4 people.

As per above, Greyhound has two transfers (middle of the night in Birmingham), multiple stops , 16 hrs, bad service, poor reviews, etc... On their web site, they did however list a direct bus (two stops, no transfers) from Memphis to Atlanta for $29.

Megabus - Direct bus, only one stop, One dollar (if you buy early)!

If you have four people going to GA share the costs and the driving. Rent a car one-way. Sleep in a hotel at night. Arrive in GA at the AT TH WITH SOME SANITY.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks everybody for all the advice. I think I'll have to take both. Greyhound from Forrest City to Memphis then Megabus from Memphis to Atlanta. From there thinking about walking to the trail Whats a few more miles walking.

Quote Originally Posted by starbright View Post
    Thanks everybody for all the advice. I think I'll have to take both. Greyhound from Forrest City to Memphis then Megabus from Memphis to Atlanta. From there thinking about walking to the trail Whats a few more miles walking.
    Walking from down town Atlanta to Springer would not be a pleasent walk. It's got to be at least a 50 mile road walk. It would take probably 3 days to do it and pray you don't get run over along the way. There are people who will shuttle you to the trail head and the price is usually by the car load.

Journal Entries
    Images

Most of the prices I have been getting has been between $55 and $75 per person. On my budget thats not doable.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Please do not walk from Atlanta to Springer.
    For a few bucks you can take the MARTA train from Atlanta to the North Springs Station (the red line).
    Most people take a private shuttle from there.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Just out of curiosity I looked up her proposed walk on Google maps and on foot it's 64.8 miles from
    MARTA Civic Center - 435 W Peachtree St NW
    to
    Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge

Agreed. A walk from Atlanta to Springer will be a horrible walk! Definitely not the safest option either. And third, I don't think you want to put 50 miles of asphalt miles on your new boots. Probably equivalent to 300 miles in the mountains.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If the MARTA ride I took from the airport to N. Springs is any indication you will travel through some pretty rough neighborhoods.
    Where would you camp? You've already said you can't afford to stay in towns.
    And I believe you've said you will have your children with you.

Honestly if you can't afford to get to the trail maybe you should reconsider what you're doing.
    And I say this with true concern over you and your family's well being.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by starbright View Post
    Most of the prices I have been getting has been between $55 and $75 per person. On my budget thats not doable.
    If that is not doable on your budget, you have no buisness going on this trip in the first place. If $200 puts a significant dent in your money supply, then your not going to get far on the trail. Anyway, since there are four of you, you can probably negotiate a better price. The $75/pp is probably from the hiker hostel, which also includes an overnight stay, breakfest, a ride to the trail head and is a good deal. It's nice to be well rested and feed after a long bus ride before hitting the trail.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 10-26-2012 at 11:35.

Images

Starlight, do not walk from Atlanta. I'm pming you....

STARBRIGHT, I ALREADY LIKE YOUR GO WITH THE FLOW DO WHAT I MUST ENJOY THE JOURNEY ATTITUDE. I THINK NO MATTER WHAT WAY YOU GET TO THE TRAIL HEAD YOU'LL HAVE a GREAT JOURNEY.

Happy Trails.

DDubs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank You Dogwood

I kind of winged it getting to Katahdin the first time. I thought I would hitch from Portland to Katahdin. It was an idiotic idea. It ended up being a more good than bad experience, but just barely. I had very good luck in the places that I needed it, but things could have gone a lot different.

Secondly trying to walk out of a city is horrible. I walked into and out of Leon, Spain and even with a dedicated path for the Camino it was miserable.

So, don't try to walk from Gainesville to Amicalola. Get a shuttle.

But Slo-go'en is right, it sounds like you should just stay home.

Journal Entries
    Images

I appreciate all the advice good and bad that I have recieved on WB. But I am going to hike the AT whether most of you believe I can or not.
    If I quit every time someone said thats not possible I probably would'nt be on here now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++