WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD:1353577
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I make breakfast smoothies and I wish I had started this sooner. Throw what ever you want into a blender/food processor - I make mine vegan so no powdered milk, but you can always add it. Bananas, mangos, peaches - what ever fruit you have, add a handful of almonds, some oatmeal or quinoa flakes, honey or brown sugar - blenderize it all adding very little to no water, then dehydrate it -

So, what I found that makes all the difference is to add water at night before you go to sleep - cold water or if there is any hot left over from dinner - mix it up and let it sit overnight, in the morning, all you have to do is give it a vigorous shake in the ziplock baggie to get it frothy and drink it right fro the baggy. I also make green smoothies with fresh kale - a great way to get your green veggies on the trail.

Yum... smoothies with fresh kale is the BEST!! I don't know how long fresh kale would last in a backpack tho....
    Use fresh then dehydrate

Hey Rasty... I'll have to get back with you on that one... I'll try it -the nutrition will def. be there but I'm wondering if the taste and texture will be compromised...

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Actually I'm looking for somewhat nutritious recipes.
    hey rasty how are you?try freeze dried crunchies mixed fruit the whole bag weighs 1.5 oz .there are all kinds of melons and berries,.i carry them for my oatmeal really livens it up and helps get rid of excess water.i got them at wally world, good luck.

what about powdered eggs and ground bacon bits,gotta find a way to sneak some bacon in lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear:1353651
    what about powdered eggs and ground bacon bits,gotta find a way to sneak some bacon in lol.
    Lost me there! Bacon yes. Powdered eggs are not my thing.

How about a chocolate, bacon and pecan smoothie? Maybe add some espresso.

Looking for Breakfast Smoothie recipes using Nido or powdered yogurt as a base. Anyone have any good recipes?

Thanks
    Rasty
    I could be wrong but my assumption is you wanted recipes for on the trail. There are posts above with recipes using blenders, refrigerator, etc. which won't work (for the trail), as good as they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon:1353657
    Looking for Breakfast Smoothie recipes using Nido or powdered yogurt as a base. Anyone have any good recipes?

Thanks
    Rasty
    I could be wrong but my assumption is you wanted recipes for on the trail. There are posts above with recipes using blenders, refrigerator, etc. which won't work (for the trail), as good as they sound.
    You are correct. But I'm willing to fiddle with non trail recipes with a blender, dehyrator and coffee grinder.

I have access to really good fruit purees and I am going to try turning a few into powder.

Check on utube🖒

I've ordered the breakfast smoothies from Packit Gourmet a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by mlkelley View Post
    3 packets Carnation instant breakfast, 8 little scoops of Nido, and 2 packets of instant coffee into about 12-14 ounces of water. I have trouble eating solid food for the first hour or two in the morning, and this is something I can get in my belly for a few calories until I feel like eating. I make it in the evening after I eat dinner, and then (if possible) put the bottle in a stream to chill it. Works for me. YMMV.
    My version of this is similar.
    1 serving Breakfast Essentials (Instant Breakfast)
    1-2 servings Whole milk Nido. Not the low fat baby formula.
    1 serving NaturesPlus Pea Protein.
    https://naturesplus.com/products/pro...ctNumber=45951
    1-2 single serving Cafe Bustelo instant coffee. Buy at Target.
    Adjust quantities to taste. Hot or cold water as conditions dictate.
    Enjoy.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    I've ordered the breakfast smoothies from Packit Gourmet a few times.
    So did I. That's when I decided to make my own. I put single servings in Ziploc snack bags and a sandwich size bag holds two snack bags and several individual servings of instant coffee.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I found and used this recipe last year. I did make some modifications to suit my taste. It is packed with protein:

https://youtu.be/pNHmLGHW8e0

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I often carry Carnation Instant Breakfast to start the hiking day, along with muesli cereal. The instant breakfast can be enhanced with dehydrated veggies from Harmony House. They offer dehydrated spinach and other veggies that can easily be powderized in a blender. You can add extra protein with straight powdered whey from Bob's Red Mill or anyone. I often add some instant coffee to the chocolate breakfast to make a mocha shake and get my caffeine fix. Add some dried peanut butter for fat.

Carnations FTW. And its "vitamins" too, if you care about living on mac & cheese for 6 months.

Also "Ensure" powder packs a lot of calories and vitamins. Nido+Ensure+instant_coffee is my recipe. About 400 calories and 150mg caffeine in a 12 oz drink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++