Hello all, it looks like I have found a really nice site to learn about the AT and hiking. For the past few years I have camped at Crab Tree Falls Campground in Va and did the hike to the top of the mountain at the falls. When I say camp I mean I trailered a camper to the campground and was with my wife and daughter.
Each year I have the desire to actually throw everything on my back and take off a few miles, set up camp and then hike back out in the morning. In time hopefully adding days to the trip.
The only experience I have in hiking was when I was in the Marines, except we didn't really call it hiking. I know we carried a ton of weight and humped for what seemed like days. I am almost 42 but my job requires me to maintain my physical fitness as I know this is very important on the trail. I am not getting any younger so I want to get started.
With that said, is there a list somewhere of the gear I need for an overnight hike? I can figure this out but I thought a list would be nice. Where is a good place to start? I saw an entry point to the AT on Crab Tree Falls Hwy about 10 miles prior to the campground which is only a little over an hour from my home. Can I plan a trip there and head out 5 miles, camp and then head back out the next morning?
I have a ton of questions but I thought this would get me started. I look forward to talking with everyone and can't wait to get on the trail. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Scott