WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hurricane Sandy - Major Storm from VA to ME

Don't know if there are any more NOBO Thru hikers on the trial, but it looks like a weird hybrid "Snowicane" may be coming to the North East US next week. Just a heads up. Be Careful.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012...t-week-a-mess/

Consider it a gift from those of us in Florida tired of hearing about fall hiking and snow camping while it's still Hurricane Season here.
    Stock up folks, you can always use the stuff later for hiking.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

They called it a "snor-easter-cane", never heard that term before!

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    They called it a "snor-easter-cane", never heard that term before!
    Think of a near hurricane with snow...that's a Nor'Easter. The storm we had up here in 1991 was the basis of the movie "The Perfect Storm". Should be quite an event. I doubt we'll see snow in this one, because of the warmer conditions associated with hurricanes, but one of the projected paths is a bulls-eye on Providence, RI, where I live. Nothing to laugh at!

Check out this link to Wikipedia for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeaster

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Think of a near hurricane with snow...that's a Nor'Easter. The storm we had up here in 1991 was the basis of the movie "The Perfect Storm". Should be quite an event. I doubt we'll see snow in this one, because of the warmer conditions associated with hurricanes, but one of the projected paths is a bulls-eye on Providence, RI, where I live. Nothing to laugh at!

Check out this link to Wikipedia for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeaster
    The brunt of the storm is expected to miss RI, but we are still expecting high winds and torrential rains. In the interest of public safety, (to reduce the possibility of flying debris ), a local congressional candidate has asked all his supporters to remove his campaign signs from their lawns and store them until the storm has passed by. Be interesting to see if other candidates follow suit on this advice.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

The brunt of the storm is expected to miss RI, but we are still expecting high winds and torrential rains. ...
    They closed the Fox Point Hurricane Barrier and activated the pumps at 6:45 am. All schools, and many businesses are closed. All public transportation will be shut down by 12 noon. The winds are gusting up to 40 mph, and the rain is moving sideways! They expect the worst of the storm from 8 pm tonight through 10 pm Tuesday night.

We are about 300 miles from the center of the storm. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through in the hardest hit areas.

On a lighter note, I was watching Al Roker, the meteorologist, give a report from a wind and rain-swept beach. He was almost blown down! If he hadn't lost all that weight...it might have anchored him a bit better!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Consider it a gift from those of us in Florida tired of hearing about fall hiking and snow camping while it's still Hurricane Season here.
    Stock up folks, you can always use the stuff later for hiking.

Being serious, makes me realize how much weather is worse on the East Coast vs the West in general (high country can be bad..but that does no actually shut down a major metro area for days, or even weeks on end. :O).

Hurricanes, blizzards and flooding. Yowch...

The wild fires are bad here but are (somewhat) localized. Even the blizzards out here are not as bad as the ones back East IMO.

I worry about friends and family back East.

Hunker down, be safe and try to ride this out friends. I am checking the news out here in CO.....
    Last edited by Mags; 10-28-2012 at 21:02.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

joe furey from Fox news in CT: "it's now more of a mega-monster hybrid nor'easter."

Journal Entries
    Images

i just read about this storm....it sounds pretty scary...like even the meterologists are freaked out by it and the possible strength and devastation it could cause....if there are hikers in the HMW unaware of this storm....will there be efforts made to alert these people since they don't have access to weather alerts?? i don't like freak storms...or mean bears...or alligators...or spiders...or Jak.....nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    i just read about this storm....it sounds pretty scary...like even the meterologists are freaked out by it and the possible strength and devastation it could cause....if there are hikers in the HMW unaware of this storm....will there be efforts made to alert these people since they don't have access to weather alerts?? i don't like freak storms...or mean bears...or alligators...or spiders...or Jak.....nevermind...
    Alligators help maintain ecological balance in certain forums, I mean environments

We got our eyes on Sandy here on the Outer Banks.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Journal Entries
    Images

Alligators help maintain ecological balance in certain forums, I mean environments
    i liek NICE alligators....cuz i am a NICE bear...

Don't forget sharks, especially falling-out-of-the-sky-sharks! http://www.livescience.com/24256-sha...lf-course.html

"At the San Juan Hills Golf Club in southern California, course hazards include sand traps and falling sharks.

Or they did on Monday (Oct. 22) afternoon, when a 2-foot-long, live leopard shark apparently plummeted from the sky and landed very close to the 12th tee box at the San Juan Capistrano, Calif., course.

The writhing fish out of water was discovered by an on-duty course marshal, who acted fast to save the shark, according to the Capistrano Dispatch

He loaded it onto his golf cart and drove it back to the clubhouse, where other employees joined the cause to save the wayward animal. After briefly placing the shark in a bucket of homemade salt water, cart attendant Bryan Stizer used his break to drive the shark to the Pacific Ocean, about 4 miles (6.5 kilometers) away.

"I thought he was dead," Stizer told the Dispatch. "When I dropped him into the water, he just lied there for a few seconds, but then he did a twist and shot off into the water."

The shark, which reportedly had two bleeding wounds near its dorsal fin, is thought to have been dropped over the golf course by a predatory bird, though no one is known to have actually seen the shark fall.

Julianne Steers, chief aquarist at the Ocean Institute near the golf course, told the Dispatch that there are ospreys and peregrine falcons in the area that could have snatched the shark from shallow waters before losing hold of it.

Fish falling from the sky is not an unheard-of phenomenon. The downpours of fish and frogs reported throughout history and around the world have been attributed to strong winds that pick up aquatic animals and deposit them many miles inland."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Don't forget sharks, especially falling-out-of-the-sky-sharks! http://www.livescience.com/24256-sha...lf-course.html

i just read that story!!! i like to play golf....island courses always have gators 'round sunbathin...thats bad enough.... jeesh now it's raining sharks ?!?! PS i don't like sharks either....

"At the San Juan Hills Golf Club in southern California, course hazards include sand traps and falling sharks.

Or they did on Monday (Oct. 22) afternoon, when a 2-foot-long, live leopard shark apparently plummeted from the sky and landed very close to the 12th tee box at the San Juan Capistrano, Calif., course.

The writhing fish out of water was discovered by an on-duty course marshal, who acted fast to save the shark, according to the Capistrano Dispatch

He loaded it onto his golf cart and drove it back to the clubhouse, where other employees joined the cause to save the wayward animal. After briefly placing the shark in a bucket of homemade salt water, cart attendant Bryan Stizer used his break to drive the shark to the Pacific Ocean, about 4 miles (6.5 kilometers) away.

"I thought he was dead," Stizer told the Dispatch. "When I dropped him into the water, he just lied there for a few seconds, but then he did a twist and shot off into the water."

The shark, which reportedly had two bleeding wounds near its dorsal fin, is thought to have been dropped over the golf course by a predatory bird, though no one is known to have actually seen the shark fall.

Julianne Steers, chief aquarist at the Ocean Institute near the golf course, told the Dispatch that there are ospreys and peregrine falcons in the area that could have snatched the shark from shallow waters before losing hold of it.

Fish falling from the sky is not an unheard-of phenomenon. The downpours of fish and frogs reported throughout history and around the world have been attributed to strong winds that pick up aquatic animals and deposit them many miles inland."

i just read that story!!! i like to play golf....island courses always have gators 'round sunbathin...thats bad enough.... jeesh now it's raining sharks ?!?! PS i don't like sharks either....

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    How do you score it if the beast eats the ball? Is there a penalty?

How do you score it if the beast eats the ball? Is there a penalty?
    Mulligan?

Seriously, hope this one just blows over with minimal impact and everyone in the affected areas stays safe. Lived in NC all my life, seem to get at least one hurricane a year, sometimes more , you have my good wishes and prayers.

The page calls it a "Frankenstorm". One model predicts this map for next week. Think it might be a little windy on Mt. Washington?

weather.gif

http://weather.aol.com/2012/10/25/ra...lam-northeast/

Seriously, hope this one just blows over with minimal impact and everyone in the affected areas stays safe. Lived in NC all my life, seem to get at least one hurricane a year, sometimes more , you have my good wishes and prayers.
    Up here in Providence, RI, they are preparing to activate the Fox Point Hurricane Barrier (which I can see from my apartment window).

Then they will start pumping the river water past the barrier and into the harbor. This is to prevent the same type of catastrophic flooding that devasted Providence during the 1938 hurricane. The barrier has worked flawlessly every time they have used it. Got to hand it to those US Army Engineers who designed and built it!

Here are shots of the barrier and the pump house, and what happened in 1938 when the city flooded:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi...

Here in the lower Catskill Mountains of NY, all schools in this and adjoining counties are closed. From this pee em through tomorrow (Tuesday) pee em rain fall from one to three inches is predicted, as of earlier this ayem.

It's starting to get blustery now. Winds from this pee em to tomorrow pee em are expected to be between 30 to 40, and sustained gusts from 50 to 70.

I put bottles of water in the freezer compartment to freeze and help keep it cold when the power goes out. Same for the fridge. I encourage others to do the same.

Also, if you will be in the storm's path, fill your bath tub with water (even if you're on city water). This can be used for flushing toilets, washing dishes, etc., and even for putting out a fire...!!

Such a rainfall will necessitate emergency evacuations of several local towns and/or individual residents, per personal experience. This would also follow through for residents living along many parts of the nearby Delaware River.

Good luck to all who will be in its path.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++