WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Hurricane Sandy - Major Storm from VA to ME

Don't know if there are any more NOBO Thru hikers on the trial, but it looks like a weird hybrid "Snowicane" may be coming to the North East US next week. Just a heads up. Be Careful.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012...t-week-a-mess/

Consider it a gift from those of us in Florida tired of hearing about fall hiking and snow camping while it's still Hurricane Season here.
    Stock up folks, you can always use the stuff later for hiking.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

They called it a "snor-easter-cane", never heard that term before!

joe furey from Fox news in CT: "it's now more of a mega-monster hybrid nor'easter."

Journal Entries
    Images

i just read about this storm....it sounds pretty scary...like even the meterologists are freaked out by it and the possible strength and devastation it could cause....if there are hikers in the HMW unaware of this storm....will there be efforts made to alert these people since they don't have access to weather alerts?? i don't like freak storms...or mean bears...or alligators...or spiders...or Jak.....nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    i just read about this storm....it sounds pretty scary...like even the meterologists are freaked out by it and the possible strength and devastation it could cause....if there are hikers in the HMW unaware of this storm....will there be efforts made to alert these people since they don't have access to weather alerts?? i don't like freak storms...or mean bears...or alligators...or spiders...or Jak.....nevermind...
    Alligators help maintain ecological balance in certain forums, I mean environments

We got our eyes on Sandy here on the Outer Banks.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Don't forget sharks, especially falling-out-of-the-sky-sharks! http://www.livescience.com/24256-sha...lf-course.html

"At the San Juan Hills Golf Club in southern California, course hazards include sand traps and falling sharks.

Or they did on Monday (Oct. 22) afternoon, when a 2-foot-long, live leopard shark apparently plummeted from the sky and landed very close to the 12th tee box at the San Juan Capistrano, Calif., course.

The writhing fish out of water was discovered by an on-duty course marshal, who acted fast to save the shark, according to the Capistrano Dispatch

He loaded it onto his golf cart and drove it back to the clubhouse, where other employees joined the cause to save the wayward animal. After briefly placing the shark in a bucket of homemade salt water, cart attendant Bryan Stizer used his break to drive the shark to the Pacific Ocean, about 4 miles (6.5 kilometers) away.

"I thought he was dead," Stizer told the Dispatch. "When I dropped him into the water, he just lied there for a few seconds, but then he did a twist and shot off into the water."

The shark, which reportedly had two bleeding wounds near its dorsal fin, is thought to have been dropped over the golf course by a predatory bird, though no one is known to have actually seen the shark fall.

Julianne Steers, chief aquarist at the Ocean Institute near the golf course, told the Dispatch that there are ospreys and peregrine falcons in the area that could have snatched the shark from shallow waters before losing hold of it.

Fish falling from the sky is not an unheard-of phenomenon. The downpours of fish and frogs reported throughout history and around the world have been attributed to strong winds that pick up aquatic animals and deposit them many miles inland."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Alligators help maintain ecological balance in certain forums, I mean environments
    i liek NICE alligators....cuz i am a NICE bear...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Don't forget sharks, especially falling-out-of-the-sky-sharks! http://www.livescience.com/24256-sha...lf-course.html

i just read that story!!! i like to play golf....island courses always have gators 'round sunbathin...thats bad enough.... jeesh now it's raining sharks ?!?! PS i don't like sharks either....

"At the San Juan Hills Golf Club in southern California, course hazards include sand traps and falling sharks.

Or they did on Monday (Oct. 22) afternoon, when a 2-foot-long, live leopard shark apparently plummeted from the sky and landed very close to the 12th tee box at the San Juan Capistrano, Calif., course.

The writhing fish out of water was discovered by an on-duty course marshal, who acted fast to save the shark, according to the Capistrano Dispatch

He loaded it onto his golf cart and drove it back to the clubhouse, where other employees joined the cause to save the wayward animal. After briefly placing the shark in a bucket of homemade salt water, cart attendant Bryan Stizer used his break to drive the shark to the Pacific Ocean, about 4 miles (6.5 kilometers) away.

"I thought he was dead," Stizer told the Dispatch. "When I dropped him into the water, he just lied there for a few seconds, but then he did a twist and shot off into the water."

The shark, which reportedly had two bleeding wounds near its dorsal fin, is thought to have been dropped over the golf course by a predatory bird, though no one is known to have actually seen the shark fall.

Julianne Steers, chief aquarist at the Ocean Institute near the golf course, told the Dispatch that there are ospreys and peregrine falcons in the area that could have snatched the shark from shallow waters before losing hold of it.

Fish falling from the sky is not an unheard-of phenomenon. The downpours of fish and frogs reported throughout history and around the world have been attributed to strong winds that pick up aquatic animals and deposit them many miles inland."

i just read that story!!! i like to play golf....island courses always have gators 'round sunbathin...thats bad enough.... jeesh now it's raining sharks ?!?! PS i don't like sharks either....

We'll see. Often BIG HYPE = little storm.
    It does look like it could be a little soggy out there for a few days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This storm is supposed to be pretty crazy! I'm not looking forward to work possibly shutting down the last few days of the month. I'm in mortgage banking, and this, is VERY bad :/ my life will be a living hell.

Please pass New Jersey... fingers crossed XX
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

On Thursday, Sandy is a Category 2 storm with 105 mph winds and is moving north at 18mph, said Fox Connecticut MeteorologistJoe Furey.

Sandy will head into central and then the northern Bahamas. Then it will continue into the open waters of the Atlantic, east of North Carolina by early Saturday, Furey said.

The National Hurricane Center's newest path for Sandy, brings the hurricane to the Central New Jersey coast by early Tuesday, Furey said.

"This will have a significance effect on the entire east coast," he said.

The storm will have a significant impact in Connecticut on Monday and early Tuesday, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    They called it a "snor-easter-cane", never heard that term before!
    Think of a near hurricane with snow...that's a Nor'Easter. The storm we had up here in 1991 was the basis of the movie "The Perfect Storm". Should be quite an event. I doubt we'll see snow in this one, because of the warmer conditions associated with hurricanes, but one of the projected paths is a bulls-eye on Providence, RI, where I live. Nothing to laugh at!

Check out this link to Wikipedia for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeaster

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    How do you score it if the beast eats the ball? Is there a penalty?

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    How do you score it if the beast eats the ball? Is there a penalty?
    Mulligan?

We're going to need a bigger golf cart!

Default ...

Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Seriously, hope this one just blows over with minimal impact and everyone in the affected areas stays safe. Lived in NC all my life, seem to get at least one hurricane a year, sometimes more , you have my good wishes and prayers.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++