WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Safety (From Other People)

I was talking to an east coaster (I live in CO) the other day and her first response to me saying I was going to hike the AT was "Whoa, you better bring a gun."

Have you guys had any uncomfortable, scary or dangerous encounters with other people on the trail or in towns?

Oh no, not this again.

It would be too much of a headache to learn the laws and get appropriate licenses for each state anyways. If you're concerned bring pepper spray (though you'll actually need a license for that in MA...).

I wouldn't be too concerned, though. I think statistically the trail is pretty darn safe.

Images

most common, uninformed reaction of people who have no clue about what the AT is. Isn't that the number one question on the Tshirt?
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Just for clarification, I am NOT going to bring a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMordor View Post
    I was talking to an east coaster (I live in CO) the other day and her first response to me saying I was going to hike the AT was "Whoa, you better bring a gun."

Have you guys had any uncomfortable, scary or dangerous encounters with other people on the trail or in towns?
    Your post question reminds me of a trail journal entry on my last backpacking trip. It's an interview with a series of questions to Jackie and Jeremy Blowhole, Backpacking Experts. Here's one of the questions---

** I hate camping next to other people. Any suggestions?

J&J: We hate people too. It takes a bonobo to know a bonobo and so there are ways we have found to keep people away and to get them scattered. We hike with an adult monitor lizard and at 10 feet long and over 300 lbs it will bite anyone camping nearby and often drag them into our camp for later feeding. Even the people who get away usually fester and die a couple weeks later so it all works out in the end. If you want to be alone it's not all that hard. Here's another nifty technique: Take a dump on the ground at every campsite and leave it there along with stained toilet paper. With enough ex-lax me and Jackie can dump several loads around all the adjacent campsites and clear a swath for just us. Solitude is important.

Here's one more spoof on the whole subject---

** Do you guys carry guns in the backcountry?

J&J: Jackie humps a full auto M-60 and a thumper M-79 and I carry a 60mm mortar with baseplate along with a Glock .40 caliber handgun. The mortar works well in clearing any trail ahead of snakes and yellow jackets and Jackie uses the M-60 to do trailwork on brush and briars. Plus, we usually get the best spots in the trail shelters as people scatter when we arrive. Sometimes we even shoot up the shelters to get hikers to leave. One time in Vermont we ran into a tie-dyed hippie at a trail shelter who told us we were crazy but we made him dance with rounds in the ground by his feet. I told him it's our god-given American right to hike armed and eventually he agreed. Jackie tells a wonderful story of the time we bracketed Trail Days in Damascus with mortar rounds but that's a tale for another time.

By making light of your question I'm trying to say "you don't need a gun on the AT". It's just dead weight. I hope the ultralighters chime in to agree. They hate carrying unnecessary stuff.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I blog on safety including some stories of what happened to me. Also if you look under the category of Safety, I also discuss car vandalism, gear protection, along with wildlife and hunting. Just makes it easier to point to my hiking blog then try to write it all up here.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

ticks are a much bigger threat than humans.

At least two hikers drowned on the AT last year. Promise your well meaning "friends" that you won't go swimming on the AT.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I hope the ultralighters chime in to agree. They hate carrying unnecessary stuff.
    For the ULers:

yes, a few iffy situations on the trail and a serious threat here in town. my new toy
    http://ruger.com/products/lcrDE/models.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I blog on safety including some stories of what happened to me. Also if you look under the category of Safety, I also discuss car vandalism, gear protection, along with wildlife and hunting. Just makes it easier to point to my hiking blog then try to write it all up here.
    Thanks for the link, I'll copy pertinent pages and read on my next trip (can't seem to get any in-depth reading here at home). I have one picture to share on car vandalism which greeted me on the way out during a recent trip. Welcome to the Cherokee NF.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    For the ULers:

bet you cant hit a tick from 20 yards
    Last edited by hikerboy57; 10-25-2012 at 12:38.

Once; I got a hitch from Gettysburg back to the trail from the worst driver in the world. I terminated the trip well short of the trail.

Re guns, I question the masculinity of anyone who feels the need to carry on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    bet you cant hit a tick for 20 yards
    Those little buggers are certainly by far the most dangerous thing out there (well, cold wet weather is high on the list too). I tell people that all the time - forget bears and coyotes...

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    Those little buggers are certainly by far the most dangerous thing out there (well, cold wet weather is high on the list too). I tell people that all the time - forget bears and coyotes...
    On my last trip I was camping on an open bald at 5,300 feet and around 3am a hellish lightning storm pounced and make me a believer. It started with one long loud, very loud, crash and rumble and the weird sensation of imminent death passed thru my peanut sized brain. Other than old age, heart attack or stroke, I consider lightning strikes, falling trees or tree limbs and rattlesnakes the most life threatening stuff in the woods, at least for me.

Other people? Heck, most sickos won't get much further than a quarter mile from their cars or the parking lot, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yes, a few iffy situations on the trail and a serious threat here in town. my new toy
    http://ruger.com/products/lcrDE/models.html
    With the pink grips?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I think your Colorado friends had too many Coors and/or watch Deliverance a few too many times.

Reminds me of my Mom asking me if people use horses to get around in Boulder not long after I moved out there. I sh** you not.

It ain't Deliverance down south on the AT. This ain't the Widlwest in Golden.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    It ain't Deliverance down south on the AT. This ain't the Widlwest in Golden.
    Do you know that the banjo scene was shot really close to the AT and those weren't actors?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Plainly the guy did not know what he was talking about. You have more to worry about driving on the streets of Golden Colorado than while hiking the AT. A firearm is completely unnecessary on the trail its just dead weight that I would rather trade off to have something I may need like extra Snickers bars....and this is from a NRA Life Member.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++