Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Cool Rain Gear: Need input from the experts :)

Hi all, looking to purchase rain gear that I can use on the trail, (as well on my daily runs.) I have no clue what to look for. When running, I've always just suffered thru the rain, but I think its time to invest in gear that will keep me dry when hiking. Thanks for any advice

I suppose it would depend on the season but I would just go to the store and try them on. Walk around the store with it and see what feels best. I used a goretex military jacket that was cheap (issued to me in the reserves) and it worked great. Legs still got wet. Just remember good stuff that is cheap can work just as well.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dri Ducks and an umbrella. Cheap, versatile and effective.

Journal Entries
    Images

Take a 20 gallon trash bag... use it in your pack it weights nothing...when it rains... tear holes in it and wear it... serious. worked and saved people in Alaska.

OK found it - here you go.. REI CLOSEOUT MOUNTAIN GEAR I prefer 8 oz but this is close.

http://www.rei.com/product/827565/mo...-2011-closeout

Also watch Deal of the Day.

http://www.rei.com/product/840371/si...-2011-closeout
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-28-2012 at 11:59.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I use a Marmott rain jacket and rain pants, but lots of other companies build suitable gear. Every time I've tried to save weight not carrying a full rain suit, I've gotten into trouble. The lighter weight, but expensive, rain suit seem to work pretty good as a last ditch effort to stay warm in cold rainy weather. Ponchos are nice for warmer weather, but they won't save you if the weather goes bad.

Images

If you are an ultralight hiker, I have found that Equinox' Gazelle Ultralite Anorak works great - weights 6.7 oz and has covered ventilation areas (flaps) - they only have men's sizes - I'm a women's medium and size small works great http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/u...ite-anorak.cfm

As for my pants, I also have Equinox' Full Moon Ultralite Chaps, 3.2 oz http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/u...lite-chaps.cfm

Both of these come in their own little stuff sack. As I said, they have both worked well for me and if I needed a bit of extra warmth, I just wear an extra layer underneath them. My other rain jacket is Patagonia's Torrenshell Jacket, 12.8 oz (I bought it before I bought Equinox) - also works very well, but mine is in bright purple and I look just like barney when I wear it

Good luck!

Images

Thanks everyone for the input, I've looked at all mentioned and this really gives me great info to base a purchase on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LadybugPicnic View Post
    If you are an ultralight hiker, I have found that Equinox' Gazelle Ultralite Anorak works great - weights 6.7 oz and has covered ventilation areas (flaps) - they only have men's sizes - I'm a women's medium and size small works great http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/u...ite-anorak.cfm

As for my pants, I also have Equinox' Full Moon Ultralite Chaps, 3.2 oz http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/u...lite-chaps.cfm

Both of these come in their own little stuff sack. As I said, they have both worked well for me and if I needed a bit of extra warmth, I just wear an extra layer underneath them. My other rain jacket is Patagonia's Torrenshell Jacket, 12.8 oz (I bought it before I bought Equinox) - also works very well, but mine is in bright purple and I look just like barney when I wear it

Good luck!
    Sound like good options. Really like the Equinox, and that they are from a small business. And, who doesnt like Barney??!! ...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I use a Marmott rain jacket and rain pants, but lots of other companies build suitable gear. Every time I've tried to save weight not carrying a full rain suit, I've gotten into trouble. The lighter weight, but expensive, rain suit seem to work pretty good as a last ditch effort to stay warm in cold rainy weather. Ponchos are nice for warmer weather, but they won't save you if the weather goes bad.
    Thanks bearbaghanger, maybe I'll get lucky and find them on clearance at REI

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Take a 20 gallon trash bag... use it in your pack it weights nothing...when it rains... tear holes in it and wear it... serious. worked and saved people in Alaska.

OK found it - here you go.. REI CLOSEOUT MOUNTAIN GEAR I prefer 8 oz but this is close.

http://www.rei.com/product/827565/mo...-2011-closeout

Also watch Deal of the Day.

http://www.rei.com/product/840371/si...-2011-closeout
    Thanks Wise Old Owl, I've probably seen these on REI's clearance site, just didn't know what I was looking at. And in regards to the trash bag, neighborhood folks might get a kick outta me wearing a trashbag on a morning run tee hee hee

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Dri Ducks and an umbrella. Cheap, versatile and effective.
    Priced Driducks at Bass Pro shop the other day...I beleive I will include an umbrella in my pack list.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by txlonghorn8783 View Post
    I suppose it would depend on the season but I would just go to the store and try them on. Walk around the store with it and see what feels best. I used a goretex military jacket that was cheap (issued to me in the reserves) and it worked great. Legs still got wet. Just remember good stuff that is cheap can work just as well.
    My son's in the Airforce, maybe mom needs to hit him up??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Persie View Post
    My son's in the Airforce, maybe mom needs to hit him up??

Maybe a group discount? LOL

Dri Ducks are the best I have ever found.
    Cheap ($25 range for Jacket and Pants) & super lite (182g for the Jacket in XL) & actually effective in heavy rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Persie View Post
    Sound like good options. Really like the Equinox, and that they are from a small business. And, who doesnt like Barney??!! ...
    Equinox also makes a ligtweight (9.5 oz) poncho which I use in warmer weather (March-November). It covers the pack as well as yourself.

Images

Good luck!
    That gear looks good; I've been looking to get lighter rain gear. That said, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does the top keep you dry in torrential rain?
    2) Do you just let the rest of your legs get wet?
    3) Have you been happy with that gear on wet week or longer hikes in non-summer weather?

Thanks

I started a paper route going on a year ago now, 100 papers all on foot, and so I am hiking in the rain more now than ever. When its really coming down I use a cape that cover the newspaper bag so I don't have to bag them ahead of time. I am really taking to the feel of a cape. This one is a bit heavy for hiking, maybe, but if you have other uses for the cape also maybe you can justify the weight, because a little extra weight in a cape has a nice feel to it and doesn't blow around so much. Thinking of making a cape out of my army surplus gortex bivy. Might weight 1.5 pounds when done, but maybe still work as a bivy. Current cape is water absorbing so wouldn't really work for hiking. Actually its a long overcoat, but I use it without the sleeves.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    That gear looks good; I've been looking to get lighter rain gear. That said, I have a couple of questions:

3) Have you been happy with that gear on wet week or longer hikes in non-summer weather?

Thanks
    One more thing: how do you feel about the breathability of that top? I'm concerned that nylon would lead to sweating and would feel wet when going uphill. Also, I'm concerned that I wouldn't dry out well. Thoughts?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post

Thanks
    Yes, it keeps me dry even in a torrential downpour, although you can always expect in that kind of rain that everything is going to feel damp - because it is. I do not let my legs get wet - I slip on my rain chaps and they work great. I have taken this ensemble hiking with me many times and they have worked well for me. The ventilation is pretty good - there are ventilation areas with flaps on them plus it has mesh pits. With that being said, I am do not sweat heavily, so it works well for me and keeps me very dry, but I don't know how well it would work for someone who sweats heavily.

I have tried several different rain gear set-ups and this one has been the lightest and most effective one I have found so far. They make a really nice poncho as well that covers your pack, but it didn't cover my ape arms, so I switched to this set-up.

Images

Yes, it keeps me dry even in a torrential downpour, although you can always expect in that kind of rain that everything is going to feel damp - because it is. I do not let my legs get wet - I slip on my rain chaps and they work great. I have taken this ensemble hiking with me many times and they have worked well for me. The ventilation is pretty good - there are ventilation areas with flaps on them plus it has mesh pits. With that being said, I am do not sweat heavily, so it works well for me and keeps me very dry, but I don't know how well it would work for someone who sweats heavily.

I have tried several different rain gear set-ups and this one has been the lightest and most effective one I have found so far. They make a really nice poncho as well that covers your pack, but it didn't cover my ape arms, so I switched to this set-up.
    Well, it's certainly a very light setup, and that is very appealing. I'm not sure I'm sold on nylon yet -- I don't sweat a lot when I'm not hiking, but I certainly do sweat when hiking uphill with a week of food in my pack. I'm interested in the chaps idea as well but I'll have to think about it. Certainly, one would get wet when sitting if nothing else.

I love the light weight though. Nice job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++