WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Mountain Tops Weather Finder?

I'm heading to the Humps on Monday to hike from Hughes Gap to 19E I can see the weather for Roan Mountain, TN. but I'm wondering if there is a web site that shows the weather on the tops?? I'm figuring on brutal winds & snow. I'm guessing 5-7 degrees colder for every 1000 feet?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Mountain-forecast.com

Enter Roan high knob into the search.

Images

I've found this one useful...... http://www.mountain-forecast.com/

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Looks like rain, snow and ice and winds 20-40 mph. It's going to be howling up on the balds!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...37687%2C%20USA

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I'm heading to the Humps on Monday to hike from Hughes Gap to 19E I can see the weather for Roan Mountain, TN. but I'm wondering if there is a web site that shows the weather on the tops?? I'm figuring on brutal winds & snow. I'm guessing 5-7 degrees colder for every 1000 feet?
    Here's the one I use; http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php You can click on any shelter or mountain shown, then click on NOAA Forecast for that area and get the extended forecast.

You clear the way for me....I'll be walking through that area not long after you.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Everyone!!!

Hope you are dressed well I have been in worse but it was during a long trip not at the start. Spent two days in the tent except for going to the bathroom. No ear plugs so no sleep with howing winds.

Nothing wrong with finding a shetered spot, setting up and waiting it out. Stay dry , stay warm and stop and set up early in the day. And of course enjoy yoursef.

Just to add.. any weather report for a specific mountain is probably pretty close to worthless.

Default Hurricane force winds and blizzard conditions.......

..........are in the forecast for Monday-Tuesday as per Ray's Weather. Raysweather.com has become a trusted and highly specialized forecasting service over the last several years. They're based in Boone, NC and their forecast for the NC-TN border area, at above 5,000', calls for winds of up to 80 mph and blizzard conditions with up to 12" snow accumulation.

AO

Journal Entries
    Images

I've pulled the plug on it, since it's my brothers 1st AT trip. Thinking of hitting the Big South Fork instead

Just guessing...but I think thats a smart move

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I've pulled the plug on it, since it's my brothers 1st AT trip. Thinking of hitting the Big South Fork instead
    Smart move.. I picked up a hiker 3 miles north of 19E and Roan Mt. and Roan Mt. was already getting hammered with snow and that was this morning. They're calling for 1-3 inches tonight and 2-4 inches tomorrow here in Erwin.

NOAA has a google earth weather forecast where you pick a location and it does a custom forecast. It takes into account elevation for both temperarture and wind. It seelsm to work pretty well up in the whites.

Brother, you're talking to someone who spent the night on Blood Mtn with only one other person in an 8 person Coleman dome during 60-80 mph winds. OUR TENT WAS BIGGER THAN THE SHELTER! How that rain-fly survived the night, I'll never know. Don't worry about the weather, just git er done!
    Abbrikka Cadabrikka

++ New Posts ++