WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dbags at Munising Falls

I love how you can leave a thousand dollars worth of gear sprawled out in a backcountry site amongts other repectful hikers and nobody bothers your stuff. Then the second you get to a tourist trap some inconsiderate a-hole steals your $200 sunglasses sititng with the rest of your stuff while you are in the bathroom stall for literally 5 seconds. Awsome, thank you!

Douchebags is right. Damn Michiganders! Just because DEtroit is bankrupt doesn't mean the rest of the state has gotta suck right along with it. OK, so maybe they weren't from MI. I do Petoskey for a few months otta the year, so I can write this drivel. But I know exactly what you mean. At least I only lost a hat.

Images

Jeez my gear cost less than your sunglasses, and my sunglasses are just $10 clip-ons.
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries

Make no mistake, there are people in the backcountry that will rob you blind too if you give them a chance. Maybe less, but they are there.

Dont ever let your gear out of your sight, for any reason, regardless of where you are.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nak View Post
    Douchebags is right. Damn Michiganders! Just because DEtroit is bankrupt doesn't mean the rest of the state has gotta suck right along with it. OK, so maybe they weren't from MI. I do Petoskey for a few months otta the year, so I can write this drivel. But I know exactly what you mean. At least I only lost a hat.
    It has nothing to do with Michigan. I grew up in Michigan and still have a place there, but I have lived all over the country and trust me this happens everywhere including remote places in Alaska.

The worst place for this kind of thing I ever lived was Key West. But I don't blame the locals, it was mostly the visitors you had to worry about.

There are good and bad folks everywhere.

Images

Probably don't rip you off in the back country because they would have to hike out a known trail(s) to a known trail head(s). Easy to call and have a reception committee for them or just out hike them and catch up.

Life lesson: if you don't want to replace it, ($10 glasses or $200), don't leave them where other people can get to them. Not preaching - just sayin'. It's what I've tried to teach my 2 sons, but it stuck with only one of them.

Slightly sarcastic, but I truly want to know: why pay $200 for a pair of sunglasses? Myself: I break them fairly easily, even being careful, so I wouldn't.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Slightly sarcastic, but I truly want to know: why pay $200 for a pair of sunglasses? Myself: I break them fairly easily, even being careful, so I wouldn't.
    Not hard to do with reasonably decent frames and prescription lenses. I'm a pretty cheap guy and just paid $254 for prescription glacier glasses.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

www.zennioptical.com

There's no need to spend $200 on prescription eyeglasses or prescription sunglasses. I have transitions from them, lab goggles, wrap around sunglasses, and a regular pair of eyeglasses. It cost less than $120 for everything including shipping x2.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    www.zennioptical.com

There's no need to spend $200 on prescription eyeglasses or prescription sunglasses. I have transitions from them, lab goggles, wrap around sunglasses, and a regular pair of eyeglasses. It cost less than $120 for everything including shipping x2.
    For the glacier glasses I needed to buy, the costs seemed to start around $200 but that's not to say that cheaper options might not work for others.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    Not hard to do with reasonably decent frames and prescription lenses. I'm a pretty cheap guy and just paid $254 for prescription glacier glasses.
    Apologies for any stepped on toes. Never thought about prescriptions. I know my bifocals cost a bit.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

$200 isnt bad, thats about what you would pay online for high quality.

You can easily pay about $500 locally for high quality frames with the best prescription lenses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    $200 isnt bad, thats about what you would pay online for high quality.

You can easily pay about $500 locally for high quality frames with the best prescription lenses.
    For what frame and from what store? You might be dealing wholly with the Luxoticca monopoly. Unless you buy your eyeglasses from an independent non-chain optometrist or Costco or Walmart, you're probably buying from the Luxoticca monopoly.

The house brands include: Luxottica Retail has more than 7,000 retail locations in the United States, South America, Canada, China, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Israel, the United Kingdom, and United Arab Emirates. The headquarters of the retail division is in Mason, Ohio. Their retail banners include:

• Optical Shop of Aspen
    • Surfeyes
    • Laubman & Pank
    • ICON
    • Grand Optics LLC

Luxottica also owns EyeMed Vision Care, a managed vision care organisation in the United States. As of 2012, it is the second largest vision benefits company in the United States.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    How much are your eyes worth? That's the question I usually ask when someone inquires along the same line about my shades. It comes down to quality for me. I find that the more I pay for sunglasses, the more I care for them. I've had pairs for years upon years. This principle obviously does not work for everyone, but you asked the question.
    We are all one big human family.

Although Minnesota is known for it's friendly folk, there are always at least one douche in every group. Sorry to hear your glasses were stolen. I too wear expensive sunglasses, due to eye issues I must take care of or go blind. Frankly, I'm just not up for that trip yet, so I will spend the money and protect my eyes for as long as I can. I also keep my sunglasses on a lanyard around my neck so they don't disappear. Mine are Maui Jim's. At less than an ounce, they are every hiker's dream- If you are lightening up some weight. ;-)

Could be but I doubt they were prescription sunglasses. They were prolly just higher priced non prescription sunglasses. I've lost, broke, and had stolen $200+ non prescription sunglasses. NO way do I bring pricey sunglasses into the backcountry for hiking purposes anymore. Skiing different story. I do often have sunglasses though, the $20-30 kind, always on a lanyard around my neck, on top of my head(working on the Magnum P.I. look), or safely stored in my pack. I still manage to break and lose plenty of the cheapy sunglasses though. Those $15-20 Berkley Fishing sunglasses spring loaded at the hinges polarized models I buy from the Walmart Fishing/Hunting Dept usually satisfy my hiking needs.

++ New Posts ++