WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Patagonia nano puff pullover or Montbell UL down coat

I'm looking into buying a Montbell UL down coat but, I already have the Patagonia nano puff pullover. My question is this: Is the UL coat worth the money and the 2 ounce weight savings over the nano puff? Does anyone have experience with both? Thanks!

Go to Dick's and pick up their 800 fill jacket/shirt looks and works just as good. I know because I have both. $60.00 bucks at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I've got the Montbell U/L Down Parka and the Montbell U/L Thermawrap jacket. I love both of them.

I take the U/L Down Parka for colder, drier weather. I love the hood feature and light weight. But I take the U/L Thermawrap Jacket (synthetic down) for cold and/or wet conditions. I've used the U/L Thermawrap jacket a lot more on the AT. It also doubles as my pillow. I don't like natural down jackets if I expect a lot of wet weather, even though it does have DWR fabric covering. The U/L Thermawrap jacket is a lighter weight alternative to bulky, heavier fleece jackets. The Patagonia nano puff jackets are synthetic down, like the U/L Thermawrap.

I think the answer to your question depends on the expected weather you will encounter, how wet? how cold? will you be carrying other thermal layers? what is your sleeping bag rating? The nano puff should be fine fine for most 3 season hiking on the AT. The jacket, the base layers, the sleeping bag, it all fits together like a puzzle into your total thermal protection system. You have to take all of it together. You can get by with lighter weight jackets if you crawl into the sleeping bag as soon as you get out of wet clothes in camp. Experiment on the trail in different seasons and see what works best for you.

I saw somebody post that he was willing to spend $20 per ounce saved. This seems like a good goal to me. Given your old jacket works just fine, I don't see much reason for you to drop $150+ to save 2 ounces.

++ New Posts ++