WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Winter Hiking Gear?!

So I'm waiting out the storm in gatlinburg, as some of you may know... Ill probably head north out from Newfound gap on Thursday or Friday. I'm guessing now would be a good time to get some gaiters and crampons? What do you guys think - or is this all just a freak thing and I can wait til later on in the season? I was looking at these gaiters http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resear...ywords=gaiters
    And some yak tracks: http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Pro-Tr...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

Anyone have experience with these and are they completely necessary after the storm is gone (this time of year)? Should I bring snowshoes? Any other tips for hiking in wintry conditions?

Yak traks will not cut it. look at the Koothula Micro spikes.

Dang, really? All the reviews on yak tracks are stellar... I saw those spikes, they're definitely legit, though.

I wouldn't get all excited this is a freaky snow storm, but do get the Gaitors (i wear them any time of the year) and wait on the crampons (i have never had the need for those on the AT). but why are waiting in Gatlinburg, some of the best times i had on my Thru's was in Snow storms. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

Quote Originally Posted by evansprater View Post
    Dang, really? All the reviews on yak tracks are stellar... I saw those spikes, they're definitely legit, though.
    yaks are meant for walking on icy sidewalks. the rubber tears easily and the coils do not grip when you do anything with a slope.

i use similar gaiters for snowshoeing but it will depend on the conditions if you will need them.

Ok so I can wait on the crampons... Anyone else agree? I am waiting because I'm from Florida and have zero experience with snow and don't want to die. Is that not logical?

Images

been using these for two years now. work great and do no damage to my keens or new balance.

yakcraps made it 2 mile for me in Georgia.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by evansprater View Post
    Ok so I can wait on the crampons... Anyone else agree? I am waiting because I'm from Florida and have zero experience with snow and don't want to die. Is that not logical?

hehehe!!! that sounds like a good plan!!! you can't finish if youre dead....well ....unlessin youre a ZOMBIE?!?!?!? good luck to you evan!!! be safe and HYOH!!!!

Thanks gizzy! I will!

If the snow ever gets deep enough to require snow shoes, it's time to go home. There has to be 2-3 feet of snow for snowshoes to start to be useful, as the snow has to be deep enough to cover up all the rocks and tree limbs on the trail. Once there is constantly enough snow for snowshoes, making any miles will be very slow, very hard work.

The immeditate problem will be the wet snow. Heavy wet snow makes the Rhododendron tunnels collase and getting through them is not easy. 6 to 12 inches of wet snow makes everything real slippery and if you don't have waterproof boots, your boots will be soaking wet and your feet ice cold. Then the temps are suppost to drop even colder as the storm pulls away and drags cold air in behind it. This will firm up the wet snow and ice over areas lower down which didn't get snow. And then all the wet snow on trees which haven't lost all thier leafs yet will loose a lot of limbs or fall down with the high winds also expected.

So yes, you will want gaiters and microspikes if you expect to get any where in the near future. A chainsaw might be handy too...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Shew! Surprised no one else mentioned what you have so far. Sounds like a blast! I will probably order the stuff tonight, then.

In those conditions, you also won't make anywhere near the milage you might think you can. Carry extra food. I also recommend hot jello for quick energy warm-you-from-the-inside drinks.

Yeeehaw!! That looks like fun for this ol Florida boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    In those conditions, you also won't make anywhere near the milage you might think you can. Carry extra food. I also recommend hot jello for quick energy warm-you-from-the-inside drinks.
    Like he said, plus, if you need snowshoes, you can only go a short distance without at least one partner to share breaking trail. With luck you won't need them.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

If you can't wait out the snow and are marginal on winter experience and equipment, the best thing you can do is to hook up with some hikers with more winter experience.

Bring extra warm socks; always have a pair of dry socks. Bring plastic bags for your feet (i.e., bread bags).

Rasputen, those snow pictures have me psyched for winter. We're just getting rain and wind here.

Images

An alternative to Kahtoola Microspikes are Hillsound Trail Crampons. They're almost the same, but have a velcro strap and slightly longer spikes.

Leafteye I checked those out and they seemed awesome so I ordered them! Thanks for the suggestion. I can't wait to shred some icy AT **** with them. Woohoo!

Images

I hope they work well for you. Some Microspikes users recommend attaching a velcro strap to prevent it from twisting around your shoe, and the Hillsound design addresses that problem. I was tempted to sell you my Microspikes so I could buy the Hillsound's myself. I imagine they'll work well if you have icy snow. I especially like using mine when edging on a slope. Instead of using my ice axe to chop steps, I'll grind/kick steps with the spikes.

Don't be too proud to put them on as soon as you get on the snow. I normally walk well on the snow, but I almost had a hike end before I took three steps on the snow when I slipped and slightly tweaked my knee. I put on my spikes and the rest of the hike went well until a trekking pole sunk into the snow and broke. So I also recommend using snow cups. I wouldn't even carry the small cups. Go bare on dirt, and then put on the snow cups when you need it.

Duly noted. I imagine there will be a good deal of snow, slush, and ice when I get back to newfound gap Wednesday or Thursday, so I will definitely make good use of these bad boys. I also got the Mountain hardware nut shell gaiters, which had great reviews and were a great price. Now I just hope my three jackets keep me warm enough...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++