WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb How long would it take for someone to know something happened to you?

Hi all WhiteBlazers!

The developers of WeighMyGear.com, which has received outstanding reviews here on WhiteBlaze (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ht=weighmygear), have just released the latest in trail safety technology: HikerAlert.com.

In its most simple form, HikerAlert is a Web app which will automatically send an alert email and text message to your emergency contacts (your friends and family) if you don't check in from a trip by your scheduled return time. The trip could be a 1-hour trail run or a 4-week expedition.

As a whole, though, HikerAlert is much more than that. The app provides a robust, yet really user-friendly, interface to record the critical information search and rescue teams would need to bring you home as quickly as possible, including detailed info about you, your partners, the trail, your vehicle parked at the trailhead, your dogs along on the hike, the equipment you’re carrying, your planned campsite locations, the local weather and more.

In addition to HikerAlert’s main web interface, its 2-way text messaging system and mobile web app allow you to check in, or send an SOS signal, from any mobile phone. If you use a smart phone with an HTML5 web browser, HikerAlert even offers a mobile geo-location tracking feature, so searchers can trace your actual route. If you don’t have a phone at all, or if it isn’t working, and you don’t check in, then HikerAlert will still send a comprehensive report of your trip to your selected friends and family.

Sorry folks! Unlike WeighMyGear, we simply can’t offer HikerAlert for free to everyone. However, we at least want to offer free registrations to the first 25 WhiteBlaze members who join HikerAlert. At the bottom of the registration page, enter the promo code WHITEBLAZE.

HikerAlert certainly can’t prevent accidents from happening, but it can be a true lifesaver when they do. If you don’t use it for yourself, then use it for your friends and family.

Above all, be safe out there everyone!

Cheers!

GearMan

Just fyi, if anyone's still interested, there are still 7 of the 25 free registrations remaining.

Thanks to all of you who've taken advantage of the offer so far. We're interested in hearing your feedback if you have any.

Images

im assuming you must turn it off when you finish hike. what if you forget? phone dies? lose service? ok for me, you drown your phone! won't there be a lot of false alarms??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    im assuming you must turn it off when you finish hike. what if you forget? phone dies? lose service? ok for me, you drown your phone! won't there be a lot of false alarms??
    good point, when i leave my agenda with someone, i allow a few extra days for injury/weather so they dont call out the army if im a day beyond my expected return date. the downside, if i get hurt early in a remote location, itll be a few more days till i can expect help. on the AT i dont worry too much, because ive never ever gone a full day without meeting someone.

++ New Posts ++