WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Guitar on the AT

I am planning a thru hike next year and can not imagine not playing guitar for that long. So... I am looking into backpacking guitars. Ive played a Martin Backpacker but frankly its like playing cardboard. Something that sounds better without getting over 2.5-3 lbs would be great (this would make up a third of my pack weight). I would like to hear of any experiences or guitar recomendations.

Images

TubaMan hiked the trail with a very large bass tuba named Charisma which weighed 30 pounds. It brought his total pack weight to 70 pounds. A gutar is nothing. Go ahead and bring it. But it will probably take a beating. Rain, scratches, drops, cold, heat, ect. I would not bring a "good one" though.

Panzer

Images

i saw a young lady with a backpacker martin this past weekend at stone door
    pretty cool looking neo

tideblazer
    Images

Take a look at the Baby Taylor. It's a much better sound than the Martin, though more bulky. I know people who carried both.

You might want to also google "banjovi" or check out some ukes.

Pick and grin
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Wookie,

Ive played the baby taylors and they sound grea I'm not sure how much they weigh. Any idea?

great oppertunity to take up the harmonica... or the like. I lost my passion for my guitar during my thru and wouldn't reccommend not taking one to anyone but that weight thing was just too overpowering for me. Do you write? Maybe put effort into some songs, great oppertunity for that too. I would think that a guitar would be hard to "maintain" on the trail for such a long time. It would take a beating for sure.

Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

tideblazer
    Images

Or you could carry a double bass and tell Tuba Man to eat his heart out.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

The baby taylors weigh in at around 2 and a half pounds. I can't remember is that is with or without strings. I'm looking to carry a guitar too. I just wish that taylor made a nylon string model. The Martin Backpacker is a little too light and awkward for me to play with any consistency.

Check this out:

http://www.mimf.com/archives/cookietin_banjo.htm

I gotta build one of these things someday. I've built a couple full-size banjos, and done some repairs, but this would be a hoot.

(Don't worry I probably wouldn't bring it on the trail, maybe juust a cellphone instead ha ha )

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTrail
    Check this out:

http://www.mimf.com/archives/cookietin_banjo.htm

I gotta build one of these things someday. I've built a couple full-size banjos, and done some repairs, but this would be a hoot.

(Don't worry I probably wouldn't bring it on the trail, maybe juust a cellphone instead ha ha )
    Wow- cool banjo. Nice elaphant tin! I wonder how it sounds...

Ive heard that a backpacker weighs 2 pounds from a few websites. If the Baby Taylor only weighs a half pound more then I will definatly go with it since it sounds sooo much better. Anyone know if Sitka Spruce is stronger than Mahogany? Also I was looking to custom make a protective case. Any good lightweight materials (I was thinking neoprene but it might be a little heavy).

BTW, if you're a guitar picker you could build one of these cookie-tin banjos with 6 strings and setup as a guitar; but I have no idea how it would sound!

Stronger? Sitka spruce is used to make wing spars for airplanes, it's about the strongest wood for it's weight than you can find. Nice stuff. It is getting harder to find, I've been told that the bulk of it is bought by the Japanese for ceremonial uses. The guitar and airplane folks are small potatotes relatively.

On the other hand, mahogany is about the most stable wood you can find for making musical instruments. I liken it to "concrete" it just stays the way you cut it. I have yet to see a mahogany neck warp like a maple one does. They often don't even need a truss rod in the neck they are so stable.

Thanks Rocky,

Sounds like either would be a fine choice. I guess I'll go with the spruce, basically because i think it sounds better on the Baby Taylor.

Bob I think that's a good choice. I can't be sure, but I would expect a spruce guitar to be a little brighter in tone than a mahogany one in the same way that mahogany banjos are usually more "mellow" sounding than ones made of hard rock maple. I think it has to do with the relative density and strength of the materials.

Default backpack guitar

Hi, I was just struggling with the same problem.....martin sound is not very good (the craftsmanship is nice) and the baby taylor is not very baby. The compromise I found is the Montana backpack guitar. It has a tear drop body, is cheaper and better sounding than the Martin. Good luck

++ New Posts ++