WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana New Hiker Hostel in Hanover

Howdy Yall,
    Finally!!! There is a place to stay off the trail in Hanover, NH. Since the Dartmouth frat houses and Panarchy stop taking in hikers, there are few choices near Hanover for lodging (Hanover Inn $300 per night). So, Stray Kat '96 has opened the 'AT Hillton, Hanover'. A full service hostel with beds, shower, fridge, microwave, tv, movies, radio, BBQ grill, snacks, pizza, gear, supplies, fuel and store nearby. Shuttles to outfitters, theatres, library, massage, club with pool and hot tub, hospital and more. $45 per night includes shuttle to and from the trailhead. Call Stray Kat at 603-252-8295 for reservations and info. Let me know how I can help.
    Last edited by Stray Cat; 05-17-2005 at 09:33. Reason: additional info

Great news, Stray Cat! More info, please - directions from the Trail, address, maildrops?, reservations?, open and close dates, etc - and we'll get you listed in the ALDHA Companion Updates section on the ATC website!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I'm so darn happy about this I can't decide whether to use the dancing banana, the clapping guy, the sun, or the spinning smiley face.

I'm just going to use them all.

THANKS STRAY CAT (or Kat)!!

It's true the situation with the Greek houses in Hanover is mercurial. They decide independently whether to take in hikers or not, and sometimes change their minds several times in the course of one hiker season (unfortunately, sometimes because of the behavior of just a couple of bad eggs). Just FYI - if people do want to see what the housing situation is in Hanover the best source of current info is the hiker grapevine and the shelter logs just north and south of here.

Please send me any info on the hostel and I'm happy to post it here in Robinson Hall for the edification of all.

I just have to say that dancing banana is cracking me up.

Julie
    Dartmouth Outing Club
    PO Box 9
    Hanover NH 03755

Default sounds great..where is it exactly in Hanover??

Sounds wonderful! Where in Hanover is this hostel? I know the town fairly well!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat
    Howdy Yall,
    Finally!!! There is a place to stay off the trail in Hanover, NH. Since the Dartmouth frat houses and Panarchy stop taking in hikers, there are few choices near Hanover for lodging (Hanover Inn $300 per night). So, Stray Kat '96 has opened the 'AT Hillton, Hanover'. A full service hostel with beds, shower, fridge, microwave, tv, movies, radio, BBQ grill, snacks, pizza, gear, supplies, fuel and store nearby. Shuttles to outfitters, theatres, library, massage, club with pool and hot tub, hospital and more. $45 per night includes shuttle to and from the trailhead. Call Stray Kat at 603-252-8295 for reservations and info. Let me know how I can help.

Images

i am staying at the president of http://www.jetboil.com/ house he lives near hanover nh neo

Does the 45 a night include the pizza and are dogs welcome?

$45 per night is more of a B&B rate. Pretty expensive hostel.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with Wolf. $45 is not helping thru-hikers out at all.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Yeah ...but it's cheaper than staying in Norwich or anywhere else in Hanover, short of pitching a tent on the soccer field.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

GA-ME-04
    Images

The price may be a little on the high side, but like Footslogger said, it's the cheapest alternative in the area as far as lodging goes.It sure is a good start and I'm glad someone went forward with the idea.

Default Hanover

Hanover was the easiest place to find a place to stay, in my opinion.

There are plenty of people in and around that town that know about hikers, know where they come from, and are happy to open their home to hikers for a night or two when they come into Hanover. And really, if you need a place to stay and can't find a kind person to help you out, the "hike" to the shelter takes like 20-30 minutes. Add to that, the awesome co-op, cheap showers at the school, free internet access and unlimited array of food choices, free bus shuttles to the next town (outfitters, Wal-Mart, etc), it almost seems silly to have a hostel up there.

Of course, with that being said, I wish the owner good luck. The price is stiff, but it seems like the cheapest deal in the area, if you actually want to pay for a little R&R.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

I agree, $45 is not a hostel rate, that is for sure. But given the demographics of the area, I don't know if it would be possible to set up a $15/night hostel anywhere near the trail. I dont see most hikers using this service, but I am sure that Stray Cat will do well with the standard B&B crowd out there. Good luck!

Images

Still would like to know where tis.

Won't be in hanover for a few years, still things may change.

Perhaps Cat could post directions from the AT.

Best wishes on your new venture.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    Still would like to know where tis.
    Won't be in hanover for a few years, still things may change.
    Perhaps Cat could post directions from the AT.
    I'm assuming it's quite a ways off the trail if a shuttle is needed for the library. Howe Library is about a block off the trail, behind Ben & Jerry's.
    - Tramper Al

You may not be able to get a single in Hanover for 45 but if 3-4 went in couldn't a room be had in the 140-180 range? Might be nicer than a hostel too. 45 for a bed and a shower - I must be missing something!

Well know that I now that I can get a sheap shower in town, I know I most likely will not stay at the new hostel, when I cam through there I could not even get anyone at the school to let me take a shower. I will just stay, just outside of town find this cheap shower place, do laundry, get my food package and fuel canister and move on. That is really all I want when I get to twon anyways.

Where's the cheap shower place at in town you people mentioned anyways, I want to highlight in my companion.

Default Hanover hostel

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I agree with Wolf. $45 is not helping thru-hikers out at all.
    I admit that the price is a little high. However, it does include shuttle to and from the trail. I take offense at the "not helping the hikers out at all' comment. The Hanover Inn is $300 per night, Chieftain $100 minimum, Norwich Inn $150 and the Sunset is $75 (only 1 mile out of town but no shuttle services ) Don't automatically assume that I am like Uncle Johnny and doing this to get rich. I am there to help if there is no alternative. I am willing to travel 15 miles each way to help folks in a jam. I hope there is an option in town for them all, but I am here to HELP if there is not. Last year, I had people calling me daily (I offer a shuttle) trying to find a place to stay. I gladly spent a lot of my time trying to help them.
    Stray Kat
    :-? "Can't" means you don't want to badly enough.

Default Hanover hostel

Hi, I hope that all my fellow hikers are as fortunate as you to find a place to stay. It would be great if I had no takers at all. I am pretty far out of town but there to help if I can. Not doing this to make money but to help out if I can and when I am needed.
    Stray Kat '96
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbait2k4
    Hanover was the easiest place to find a place to stay, in my opinion.

There are plenty of people in and around that town that know about hikers, know where they come from, and are happy to open their home to hikers for a night or two when they come into Hanover. And really, if you need a place to stay and can't find a kind person to help you out, the "hike" to the shelter takes like 20-30 minutes. Add to that, the awesome co-op, cheap showers at the school, free internet access and unlimited array of food choices, free bus shuttles to the next town (outfitters, Wal-Mart, etc), it almost seems silly to have a hostel up there.

Of course, with that being said, I wish the owner good luck. The price is stiff, but it seems like the cheapest deal in the area, if you actually want to pay for a little R&R.

Hi Chomp, You are right. $45 is steep and you are also right that Hanover is not a $15 a night area. I am a ways out of town and the price includes shuttle to and from the trail. I hope that all fellow hikers can find a place to stay and shower in town but I am there to help if they can't.

Stray Kat

Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    I agree, $45 is not a hostel rate, that is for sure. But given the demographics of the area, I don't know if it would be possible to set up a $15/night hostel anywhere near the trail. I dont see most hikers using this service, but I am sure that Stray Cat will do well with the standard B&B crowd out there. Good luck!

Images

Stray Cat,

You will do a great service to many hikers! Some folks don't realize the expense involved in the enterprise you are offering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++