WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Could I Get a Gear Critique?

So here is what I have for a gear list for an early march 2013 thru hike.

Gear Weight oz

pack (ytbd) 64
    Tarptent Notch 27
    Western Mountaineering Ultralite 31
    thermarest 14

BD Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles 16

Cooking
    Pocket Rocket 3
    pot 4
    pan 2
    Spork 0.2
    lighter 1

Water
    Gatoraid bottle 1
    4L Drom Lite 5
    steri pen 4
    Aqua mira 1
    MSR hydration hose 2.4

Clothes
    Wool Long underwear top 11
    Wool Long underwear bottom 9
    wool hat 3
    3 pair socks 5
    straw cowboy hat
    Crocks 4
    Sierra Designs Gnar Lite 11
    REI Kimath Rain Coat 15

Sunglasses 1
    gloves 3

First Aid/hygine
    First Aid Items 6

Dr. Broners 1
    tooth brush 1
    tooth paste 1
    Toilet paper 1
    Trowel 3
    hand san 1
    sunscreen 1

Misc
    Pack Cover 4
    Leatherman Squirt 2
    50' chord 3
    food bag 2
    BD Spot Head Lamp 3
    Wallet 1
    data book 3
    towel 2
    bandana 1
    zip locks 1

Total ~ 18 lbs

Many of the weights are estimated (But I was able to look most of it up on the webs)

Could I get a critique. Also I've been lurking here enough to know the arguments for and against the steri pen and a trash compactor bag as opposed to a pack cover so I don't really want to rekindle that discussion.

The pack hasn't been decided upon yet, but I was thinking of the Deuter ATC Zero 50+15. It fit very well at REI, I'm just not quite sure if 50L is big enough (though i think it will be because I was able to do a weekend trip in a 33L bag with bigger and heavier gear).

Thanks for the help!

With that pack list, you should be able to fit into 50L. That being said, the AC Zero is a bit heavy considering how lightweight the rest of your gear list is. It seems like a great pack, but with a non-pack base weight of ~14 lbs, you can probably go lighter. The Osprey Exos 46 is my pack of choice and a full pound less.

Looks like a pretty solid gear list. I may take some tips from it. (like what do you think of the Gnar light 800? have you tried to get it wet? is it everything everyone claims?) Other thoughts:

-Groundsheet?
    -4L DromLight seems large for east coast hiking. I personally just carry 2 Gatorade bottles. If you like drinking from a hose, maybe a Gatorade bottle + somewhere between a 1L and 2L bladder.
    -You didn't list what you would wear to hike but if you hike in shorts+long underwear bottoms (my cold hiking preference--functional and fashonable) and they get wet, you have no dry long layer for your legs. If you are hiking in pants to start, you should be fine until it gets warm and you buy shorts.

What he said. Goin' to something like a ULA Circuit knocks off 1 1/2 lbs. Lots of little things you could do to cut weight, lighter bag, lighter knife, lighter headlight, get rid of the Crocs.

You are probably 28 lbs with food and water, not that bad.

Garlic
    Images

Totally agree about the pack. I pay close attention to payload/pack weight ratio. On my AT hike, I carried just over 20 pounds max in my 9 oz Gossamer Gear pack, a ratio of nearly 40:1. Carry 40 pounds in a 5 pound pack, and your ratio is only 8:1.

A four-liter water container would have been excessive for my AT hike, but if it's what you have, it'll work until it breaks. Then get something smaller if you want.

You'll fine-tune it as you hike. Nice list. Good luck.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

It looks like you've got a pretty good list! +1 on the pack...a ULA CDT will knock 3lbs off your pack weight! Good luck! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Pack: ULA Circuit or Catalyst. I love my Catalyst. You can toss the trowel. Use a stick to dig a cat hole for poo. I don't think you will need sun glasses either. You can use Dr. Bronners for your toothpaste, so you can toss the paste. Instead of one large Bic lighter, you can bring two of the smaller bic lighters in case one goes bad, you have a back up. You may want to add a 1l platypus bottle. Sometimes water sources are further apart than one gatorade bottle's worth of water. I am not familiar with your 4l Drom Lite so maybe you can put a liter in that if it is easily accessible in your pack. I have also heard great things about a Sawyer water filter. I guess it weighs similar to Aqua Mirra and can be used a ton of times. You may want to check that out in lieu of the AM and the Steri pen. AllTheWayToMordor, have an awesome adventure. You will make whatever you bring work, and you will figure it all out. Your list seems pretty good to me.

Images

Am I missing the fuel for your stove on there?

Also, 4 ounces for a pair of Crocs seems pretty low. What model are you looking at? I might have to switch.
    Last edited by Karma13; 11-05-2012 at 10:32.

I agree with all previous posters....a pack like a ULA is perfect for you. Sunglasses are unnecessary (its called the green tunnel for a reason) as well as I would argue the sunscreen and substitute it for deet (more for tick prevention) later on when it warms up. For a wallet, just use a ziplock bag. The 4L dromlite is a little big...you may want to look to scrap the bladder and hose and just get a collapsible 1L Platypus and your Gatoraide bottle (also saves you some weight here). I would argue that you do not need the Steripen since you will be carrying Aqua Mira, and use boiling as an emergency backup....as you do not have to worry about mechanical failure from the steripen and you already have a stove.

I mean you don't have to worry about mechanical failure from Aqua Mira as you would a Steripen.

dont overthink it, your list looks solid. after a few hundred miles you will know what works for you and what doesnt.
    only things i would suggest;carry por or pan, but not both. steripen is a hunk of junk, return asap and use chemicals.
    for a backpack you have tons of options. 50L pack is a great size to start with. if you find it becomes too large/heavy, upgrade to a more UL pack. traildays will have many vendors with some killer gear to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    With that pack list, you should be able to fit into 50L. That being said, the AC Zero is a bit heavy considering how lightweight the rest of your gear list is. It seems like a great pack, but with a non-pack base weight of ~14 lbs, you can probably go lighter. The Osprey Exos 46 is my pack of choice and a full pound less.

Looks like a pretty solid gear list. I may take some tips from it. (like what do you think of the Gnar light 800? have you tried to get it wet? is it everything everyone claims?) Other thoughts:

-Groundsheet?
    -4L DromLight seems large for east coast hiking. I personally just carry 2 Gatorade bottles. If you like drinking from a hose, maybe a Gatorade bottle + somewhere between a 1L and 2L bladder.
    -You didn't list what you would wear to hike but if you hike in shorts+long underwear bottoms (my cold hiking preference--functional and fashonable) and they get wet, you have no dry long layer for your legs. If you are hiking in pants to start, you should be fine until it gets warm and you buy shorts.
    I haven't had the chance to really put the jacket through it's paces, i hope the dri-down is as cool as they claim it is. I'll have a Colorado winter to really test it out before the trail.

I have a ground sheet but have been debating on weather to carry it or not. I'm leaning towards yes, I guess it missed the list.

Part of the reason for the 4L drom is it doubles as a pillow (I'm a side sleeper), but thats not to say I couldnt McGyver a pillow out of the rest of my gear. I will definitely think about getting a smaller bladder.

I'll probably hike in pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Am I missing the fuel for your stove on there?

Also, 4 ounces for a pair of Crocs seems pretty low. What model are you looking at? I might have to switch.
    Ha, maybe I should get better at guessing weights. Yeah, the fuel canister isn't on the list but should be.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    What he said. Goin' to something like a ULA Circuit knocks off 1 1/2 lbs. Lots of little things you could do to cut weight, lighter bag, lighter knife, lighter headlight, get rid of the Crocs.

You are probably 28 lbs with food and water, not that bad.
    What do you guys use for camp shoes? or do you go barefoot in camp?

As for the pack, I didn't realize I could get away with a small pack like the Circuit. I want to try ULA, but I'm nervous about mail ordering a pack with out trying it on.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Images

I love my Circuit!

As far as camp shoes goes, I'm waffling. I've got Crocs (10 ounces), a pair of Vivobarefoots that are 8 ounces and comfortable but flimsier than the Crocs, and... nothing. I can't decide. 10 ounces is a lot. But after 20 miles, my feet like to be popped out of their (probably wet) shoes to expand in a whole new set of directions while I make dinner and shoot the breeze.

But 10 ounces is a lot.

I go back and forth. I'm also thinking about starting without, then picking up a pair of Crocs along the way if I decide I want them. They're not exactly specialty gear.

I see Crocks the most, also Chacos, Tevas, flip flops, and water shoes. I do not see true moccasins much, you would think you would see them more often...maybe because they do not do well in a shower stall.

Quote Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMordor View Post
    REI Kimath Rain Coat 15
    DriDucks will save you ~10oz

Wool Long underwear top 11
    Keep in mind that you can wear your puffy jacket inside your sleeping bag as well. With that in mind, this seems like overkill. I might replace it with the lightest top I could find and just use it for sleeping.

You have arguably the best 20 degree bag money can buy and a pretty serious 11oz down jacket to go with it. You could probably take that combo down to 0F comfortably if you have something for your legs (and the down doesn't get compressed due to the tight fit of the ultralite).

gloves 3
    Mittens are warmer than gloves. Bringing only 1 pair of 3oz gloves, you may be miserable and your hands may freeze. My hands get cold easily so I know that for me personally this would be awful.

I prefer a layered system. I have a pair of stretchy ~2oz gloves, some ~3oz mittens, and 1.5oz MLD event rain mitten shells. The insulation gloves and mittens have no shell, they're basically just a stretchy fleece-y material. The waterproof shells are one of my favorite pieces of gear. This system gives me a lot of versatility. I can wear just the event shell mittens alone for rain or wind protection, or I can wear just the liner gloves, liners + rain mitts, all 3, etc. I'm really a big fan of having a fully waterproof layer for my hands in cold weather.

First Aid Items 6
    Seems maybe a wee bit heavy. Contents?

Trowel 3
    Ditch, I think?

towel 2
    I might cut this in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    DriDucks will save you ~10oz
    (and $200...)

Oh, one more thing... Consider bringing rain pants. They come for free with your driducks jacket

Your body pumps a lot of blood to the legs, and once the area around your thighs gets wet it will sap the heat right out of you in an all-day freezing rain.

Remember that no matter what rain gear you have, you're going to get wet. The goal of rain gear is not necessarily to keep you dry, but to keep you warm.

Images

Overall, I really like it but echo what is said just above: Driducks, two layers of gloves (I use 1 oz liner gloves, and 1 oz ultralight homemade mittens), lighter pack, I'm sure with your kit you can get a sub 3lb and be comfortable carrying it.

I'll be carrying only the 4 oz silk long johns from REI, and no extra top long johns, just like said above.

You could save some ounces if you get an 8oz NeoAir vs. your 14 oz thermarest.

But really, nice list. See you on the trail next spring! But hopefully, Katadin is nothing like Mount Doom.

I like crocs myself. If you have foot issues like Plantar Fasciitis wearing crocs after a hike will make your feet feel better then something unsupportive like flip flops and water shoes. Plus they are pretty indestructable.

And like others have said the pack and rain jacket is a tad heavy

Garlic
    Images

UL hikers I hike with do not carry extra footwear. Just loosen the shoe laces.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Keep in mind that you can wear your puffy jacket inside your sleeping bag as well. With that in mind, this seems like overkill. I might replace it with the lightest top I could find and just use it for sleeping.

You have arguably the best 20 degree bag money can buy and a pretty serious 11oz down jacket to go with it. You could probably take that combo down to 0F comfortably if you have something for your legs (and the down doesn't get compressed due to the tight fit of the ultralite).
    I hadn't considered this, good idea. I was thinking of the wool layer more for day use in the cold, but if I can stay warm enough with a rain jacket while hiking dithing the wool long johns could work.

Mittens are warmer than gloves. Bringing only 1 pair of 3oz gloves, you may be miserable and your hands may freeze. My hands get cold easily so I know that for me personally this would be awful.
    I was envisioning a pair of ice climbing type gloves that are reasonably weather proof. I haven't gotten gloves yet so I will need to shop around, I will think about layering up.

Seems maybe a wee bit heavy. Contents?
    That was a rough guess. It will include tape, gauze, disinfectant pads and bottle of pills. I will likely end up carrying more tape than needed at the start because I sprained my ankle on the Colorado Trail in the first week and had to tap my ankle for the rest of the hike. Ankle taping takes a lot of tape and I'm a bit paranoid of it happening again.

Ditch, I think?
    i think I might just...

Oh, one more thing... Consider bringing rain pants. They come for free with your driducks jacket

Your body pumps a lot of blood to the legs, and once the area around your thighs gets wet it will sap the heat right out of you in an all-day freezing rain.

Remember that no matter what rain gear you have, you're going to get wet. The goal of rain gear is not necessarily to keep you dry, but to keep you warm.
    i was thinking about tyvek pants just in case, does anyone have any experience with these?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

But really, nice list. See you on the trail next spring! But hopefully, Katadin is nothing like Mount Doom.
    If Katadin is Mount Doom, what does that make the Appalachian hill folk?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++