WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

See, if i lived up in NH/VT i'd do it again SOBO because it's totally different. what is a fairly moderate day one way, kicks your butt the other.

Quote Originally Posted by HermesUL View Post
    ... Also, don't underestimate the first few days. Haystack and Jay are both fairly serious ascents, as I remember...
    My recollection of Haystack was all the false summits. Going NOBO, there were at least 6-7.

AT 2012

...and things just got worse, at least for the short term! I just hiked over Killington and the blow downs from sandy were so bad that I couldn't even find the sherburne trail OR the newer AT route down to rte 4. after losing the trail (euphemism for getting lost in the dark) i ended up bushwacking down an old ski trail to get to killington road. kind of fun, in a way... first time i've ever had to bail out on a trip. my only regret is that i can't blame this misadventure on 10K.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...and things just got worse, at least for the short term! I just hiked over Killington and the blow downs from sandy were so bad that I couldn't even find the sherburne trail OR the newer AT route down to rte 4. after losing the trail (euphemism for getting lost in the dark) i ended up bushwacking down an old ski trail to get to killington road. kind of fun, in a way... first time i've ever had to bail out on a trip. my only regret is that i can't blame this misadventure on 10K.
    I hiked up Killington 2 weeks before Hurricane Sandy - no problems with blowdowns then. Guess my timing was perfect!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I agree that the section from Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch is slightly harder than the northern section of the Long Trail. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to attempt that section in rain.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

The Long Trail isn't that tough unless it's wet.

It was wet a lot.

Jay Peak was my favorite climb - not too difficult and I could see into Canada from the peak, as well as a good number of peaks which I had already hiked (I did it in sections, nobo, and did the southern part to Rte. 4 twice, to hike with a friend who was completing the Vt. AT section).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++