WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sleep

Journal Entries

Default The fix

Quote Originally Posted by wren again View Post
    Having section hiked twice, a total of just 200 miles so far, I was never able to sleep well either in shelters or in my tent. I was always in an alert but drowsy state. Did you ever relax or become exhausted enough that you overcame the anxiousness? Ideas?
    Two Advil, Two Benydryl, two shots of strawberry corn liquior all with big cup of water. Sleep from 9pm-5am. Packed and on trail by 6am ahead of the others. Hike On!!!

Miller

Journal Entries

Having section hiked twice, a total of just 200 miles so far, I was never able to sleep well either in shelters or in my tent. I was always in an alert but drowsy state. Did you ever relax or become exhausted enough that you overcame the anxiousness? Ideas?
    Great job for your second post. Lots of hits and reply's!! Hike On!!!

Miller

Journal Entries
    Images

I get a good sleep when I walk until exhaustion, eat an instant dinner and sleep as soon as possible. I then take my time in the morning and/or sometime during the day.
    David Smolinski

accept the fact that coons, possums, mice and other small critters are going to be passing by the shelter. sure SOMETIMES a bear might check you out. "man fears the beast within the wolf, only because he doesnt understand the beast within himself" be the dominant predator. dont be scared.

Images

I am "on alert" because camping in the wilderness is still new to me. Section hike #2 was less stressful than section hike #1 because I knew what to expect. However, just knowing that the unknown is around the next corner (or could occur in the next hour at the shelter) is something I am not relaxed about. Do you become relaxed about it?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    Consider wearing a balaclava at night? I have one that will cover everything but my eyes if I want it to. Your hair will be a disaster in the morning, but it can help keep your face warm. You don't really want to put your head inside the bag because you'll be breathing out moisture that will condense in the bag and compromise the loft.
    When it's that cold I wear a skull cap and my smartwool. But since my wife and I share a blanket we can really boost the temps if we crawl underneath. Of course, we have flannel sleeping bags so while moisture does enter the bag it easily leaves it again. That will be more of a problem with the new Apex blankets I'm sewing for our next hike.

Loved the balaclava hair Walter.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    I have worked rotating shift work for 10 years and can sleep anywhere at anytime except for the moment I get in a mummy sleeping bag. I like having my legs spread out so keeping them confined just kills me. Any recommendations?
    untitled.JPGSelk bag

No great advice here but I am always amazed at how much noise even the smallest furry little woodland creatures can make in the dead of the night. Chipmonks can easily be mistaken for Zombies and axe murderers. We had a bear make so much noise in the Shenandoah's that we packed up at midnight and left. She sounded like she was snapping trees in half. I remember getting up in my BVDs and shining my light through the fog and seeing that dark figure with the all too shiny eyes staring back at me. Nothing we did made her leave the area. We found out the next morning that there two cubs involved. Man did she make a racket. I think it's just a matter of time in the saddle and getting used to it. I only get a little concerned when I'm a little too close to civilization. When I'm out there....I normally sleep like a baby.

Cat in the Hat

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am "on alert" because camping in the wilderness is still new to me. Section hike #2 was less stressful than section hike #1 because I knew what to expect. However, just knowing that the unknown is around the next corner (or could occur in the next hour at the shelter) is something I am not relaxed about. Do you become relaxed about it?
    For some, it does take some time to become relaxed about it.

You hear these horror stories of hikers getting attacked and killed by wild animals. It does happen. But you're much more likely to get injured of killed simply driving to the trail head. But because you are used to the drive, you don't perceive the drive as dangerous. So you've just got to be out in the woods long enough so that you start to realize there's very little to fear out there. Basically, it's one of those mind-over-matter sort of situations. You've got to be able to honestly convense yourself that there is really very little danger in spending the night in the woods.

To me, the two main things that help me get to sleep are Comfort and Exhaustion.

On the comfort side, make sure you've got a really nice bed. Unless you're really small, the thing I would suggest is to try to get the new Neo-Air (mummy shaped, not the 1st generation rectangular shaped), and get the LARGE size. The Neo-Air is great if you are a side or stomic sleeper because it's 2.5" thick. The large size is great in that its about 25" wide rather than 20" wide. For me, that's the difference between keeping my arms on the pad v. on the ground.

Otherwise, it's mainly a question of simply convencing yourself that there is nothing to fear. Other than repeating the montra "you're more likely to die driving to the trail head", the only other practical thing I can suggest is to make sure you don't store your food (including personal hygene articals) in your tent. The critters (big and small) you're likely to encounter are going to be after your food... not you personally. So if you keep the food away, you're less likely to have an animal come near you in the middle of the night.

Otherwise, I can understand the feeling of being "on alert". Earlier this year, I took my 6yo on his first camping trip. The whole hike, we kept getting reports of bears at the campsite. So these bears were not JUST passing through. I knew that we were very unlikely to be in any danger, but I was definitely on "high alert" that night. I was exhausted enough that I didn't have problems getting to sleep. But because I was on such alert, I started having lucid dreams. For those that don't know, that's when within your dream, you realize you are dreaming. It was really strange because I specifically remember that in my dream, I was at a party telling someone "I'm not really here at this party because I'm currently asleep in the woods".

This apple cider recipe might help you sleep:

1 pack apple cider mix
    4 oz hot water
    4 oz Jim Beam

Images

I like the apple cider recipe. I've found that 1 shot of Wild Turkey + 1 benedryl works pretty good too.

It doesn't sound like you really have a sleep issue now. It appears to be a confidence issue. "Do you become more relaxed?," is an odd question. Yes, you might relax some when you're accustomed to sleeping in the woods. There is little in the woods that is really "unknown."

My only suggestion to you is try to control your situation until you are comfortable with it. You can't control what happens in a shelter, because others are always a wild card. Sleep in your tent. Always hang your food properly or be comfortable sleeping with it. You know your food is safe, so the rodent scampering won't freak you out as much... Find systems that works for you.

I always have trouble sleeping the first few days of a section hike. By the end of the trip I usu am sleeping fine. I have found that Ambien works well for me on those first few days. It leaves me with no dependency issues once I return home. So far, I have seen no downside to this plan.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I'm enjoying all of the serious, informative, humorous and encouraging replies. Winter in Wisconsin might not seem a long now that I know about Whiteblaze!
    Adopt the pace of nature. Her secret is patience.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

part of what keeps you awake the first few days is adrenaline. your body is going through a workout its not used to . if youyve ever done any aerobic activity at night like running, basketball, you usually find its more difficult to fall asleep.
    the other part is just getting used to the sounds of the night forest, and realizing a red squirrel is not a grizzly bear(although the red squirrel has a higher likelyhood of going after your food bag>) i take advil pm for the first night or two, and after that im fine.staying hydrated is also important to a good nights sleep.

I'm enjoying all of the serious, informative, humorous and encouraging replies. Winter in Wisconsin might not seem a long now that I know about Whiteblaze!
    Whoa...WB is to entertain you until it gets warm in Wisconsin? Way too much pressure
    Welcome to the crowd cyber hikers.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

It is an unfortunate fact that every sound in the middle of the night is an ectopic kodiac bear, down from the north for a one hiker snack. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night if sleeping in the wilderness. If sleeping near a shelter, I feel safer -- probably due to the proximity of others -- and I sleep like a baby. That said, I like camping in the wilderness. Go figure.

Images

Great advise from all but I have found that my hammock has really helped me to sleep well. No rocks roots or uneven ground.

Did it really take til post #58?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    I tend to wake up in the middle of the night if sleeping in the wilderness. If sleeping near a shelter, I feel safer -- probably due to the proximity of others -- and I sleep like a baby. That said, I like camping in the wilderness. Go figure.
    I'm the opposite, never had a good nights rest in a shelter, sleep much better in the middle of no where.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++