WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Black Diamond speed 30

Has any body tried the black diamond speed 30 for extended backpacking trips and if so what are your thoughts on it. I like the size, how it doesn't have all kinds of stuff on the out side of the pack to get caught on every thing, I also like the removable top lid. It's advertised as a climbing back, but it seems if it can handle that, it can handle a extended hike. Also my gear, including water and food is right at 25 pounds.

Looks heavy for pretty small capacity. Also I really like having pockets on the outside but I guess that's a personal thing.

2pm 13 oz. The main reason I'm attracted to this pack is the lack of exterior pockets and such.

What pack do you have now and what sort of hiking do you do? I guess if you're bushwhacking a lot or something maybe external pockets would be annoying, but I've never had trouble with them getting caught on stuff. Well, the pockets on my G4 tended to get caught on things, but no problems whatsoever with the sleeker pockets on my ULA pack.

Osprey talon 44' osprey atmos 65. And one of there hydration back packs. I trail run, bush wack, and do long distance hikes. I'm attempting my first AT thru hike this year, not with this pack. I'm looking for some thing to trail run with on a multi day trip. Most of the times I do end up off the trails and exploring different places. While in the bad lands last month sliding thru some tight places the pockets on my talon came me fits getting caught on every thing they could get caught on. Don't get me wrong, I love my osprey packs, just looking for something sleeker that will still be comfortable on day 4 or 5.

Ah, I can see why this kind of pack would be good for you, then. Hopefully someone will chime in!

Journal Entries

Use a pillow case and go old school. It meets all your needs that are listed above.

You know snifur I asked for people that used the pack to chime in, not every dumb ass that is board behind there key board.

not sure where you are getting 13oz.. i'm seeing like 2lb or just under.

it has no water bottle pockets so that limits you to either shoulder mounted or hydration pack.

i use a similar 45L pack for rock climbing and the lack of frame is very noticeable when you get above 15-20lb. with no suspension, any "running" will become really uncomfortable for your shoulders.

++ New Posts ++