WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Like everything else in your pack or on your person (shoes vs. boots, trekking poles, tents vs hammocks, umbrellas, stoves), everyone has an opinion and you'll just have to figure out what works for you!

Don H, the one I tried was a Steripen Classic. My friend had one with smaller batteries than the AA the classic uses, but not sure which model.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

That's the one I use.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I used the SP Classic from GA-ME in 2010 and only had to use my Aqua Mira backup once. Like Don H said, I discovered you need to make sure you keep the contacts dry. I would dry mine off and/or lay it in the sun. I went with the Classic because it used AA batteries. I found a pair of lithium batteries would last me about 1 month and I was probably treating 5-6 liters/day.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

been using one for years very reliable just carry some backup batteries

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    but looking back if you need a backup, your primary product is flawed.
    Have to disagree as the steripen is a weight saving device in almost all applications I have used it in, more then making up for its and a 'light weight' backup method's weight (such and iodine tabs) in less water needed to be carried on average in almost every backpacking situation.

Besides dogging down every mud puddle you come across without regard to safety, I can make a very strong case that the steripen + backup is the lightest weight choice as actually used on the trail due to convenience (so you purify less volume of water but more often), speed and leaving the water source with some water already drank (unlike a filter which tempts you to top up, and chemicals which require a wait period)

If it does fail, revert to your backup method, and even if you chuck your defective steripen you will be already be carrying more weight then the steripen + backup in my experience.

YMMV
    Last edited by Starchild; 11-09-2012 at 20:08.

Journal Entries

this was a repeat of the above and can't seem to cancel it

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Throw the steripen and sawyer away and get yourself a Katahdan Hiker Pro better than both of those put together.
    What do you have against the sawyer?

I've never tried the Sawyer Squeeze but I used the Sawyer 3-way for my thru hike last year and loved it. As for the Katahdan Hiker Pro, I used it in Yosemite in '04 and liked it but at 11 ounces it's way too heavy for a lot of thru hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    I started my thru in '11 with a steripen. Lasted me 100ish miles before it stopped working.
    Mine made it 300ish and then Hydro-Photon replaced it with a defective unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Besides dogging down every mud puddle you come across without regard to safety, I can make a very strong case that the steripen + backup is the lightest weight choice as actually used on the trail due to convenience (so you purify less volume of water but more often), speed and leaving the water source with some water already drank (unlike a filter which tempts you to top up, and chemicals which require a wait period)
    I found using a Sawyer filter inline to be faster, lighter and more convenient than my steripen. Oh and I didn't need to carry a backup in case it shorted out.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    I found using a Sawyer filter inline to be faster, lighter and more convenient than my steripen. Oh and I didn't need to carry a backup in case it shorted out.
    Yep, it will never short out and the batteries will never die but if it ever freezes it will ruin the filter medium. Your filter has now become ineffective and is allowing pathogens to pass through and you might not even know it.

Sorry no water treatment method is perfect. I'd suggest carrying an eyedropper bottle with bleach as a back up just in case.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Yep, it will never short out and the batteries will never die but if it ever freezes it will ruin the filter medium. Your filter has now become ineffective and is allowing pathogens to pass through and you might not even know it.

Sorry no water treatment method is perfect. I'd suggest carrying an eyedropper bottle with bleach as a back up just in case.
    I wouldn't suggest that. Bleach isn't the most effective against Cryptosporidium and Giardia:
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe_water/personal.html#make_safe

That's kind of a problem since those are the two things that most AT hikers are looking to protect themselves from.

I'll certainly join you in stating that no water treatment method is perfect. Yes freezing is destructive to all filters. I wouldn't recommend filters for winter backpacking, but for a thru hike they work great.

If one has any concern that their filter might freeze use body heat to keep it warm and hollow fiber filters like the sawyer can actually be checked to make sure that they're intact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++