WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default 80 miles of trail n The Collegiates

From the CTF Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Colorado-Trail-Foundation/115337198486403

We just mailed out Tread Lines announcing the newest edition to the Trail - 80 NEW MILES collocated with the CDT, The Collegiate West! It makes an awesome 160 mile loop with the north end at Twin Lakes and the south end at the top of South Fooses Creek. Good-bye shuttle, hello vistas!

More high country terrain. Schwweet!

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I heard this was coming. Great news! More trails are always welcome.

Here's a map of the proposed high country alt route:

546764_493251574028295_1786310614_n.jpg

Would make a nice ~150 mi+ loop with super easy logistics. Plus, you can take a high country alt route, too!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The route currently has a few parts that are on Jeep Trails but new trail is being constructed along the spine of the divide that will be absolutely spectacular. That may be completed by the end of next summer. I think the loop is going to be one of the most popular hikes in Colorado.

Magalicious, what's the inside word(from you) on the CT Gunnison spur? I was contemplating doing it on my way to Black River of the Gunnison NP in the late spring. Now, maytbe I'll add in this new section too in LATE spring/early summer.

The Gunnison Spur has not been part of the Colorado Trail for years. It is a motorcycle trail for the most part, and the CTF was unable to get that stopped so they gave up on it. The trail is still there, but it's a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    . I think the loop is going to be one of the most popular hikes in Colorado.
    The combo of great scenery and easy logistics will certainly help. At 150+ miles, about right for most people on a two week vacation hike. One week if doing a more aggressive pace. Certainly more scenic than the similar length Tahoe Rim Trail! (also a loop)

re: Gunnison Spur

No official work done for quite some time. Here's the skinny someone who know's the CTF well:

"Gunnison Spur of the CT no longer maintained by the CTF. Motorized use being allowed and the resultant damage upset earlier CTF volunteers who decided not to maintain the route, much of which they had labored to construct. Currently, the CTF knows little about this trail route."

Having said, that, I found this info:
    http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/gfo/recreation_information/hike-info/hike-trails/spr.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Congratulations to the Colorado Trail Foundation and its BOD for adding this. Very cool!

Thanks BearCreek and Mags.

We have 11 days in July for hiking and going to Colorado. May look at this loop

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    We have 11 days in July for hiking and going to Colorado. May look at this loop
    The San Juans are more scenic, but this loop is extremely easy logistically with good views in its own right (and opportunities for side trips, too)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The San Juans are more scenic, but this loop is extremely easy logistically with good views in its own right (and opportunities for side trips, too)
    And many of the side trips are 14ers, if you're a peak bagger at heart.

("Magalicious"--that's a good one.)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Yea we are thinking about Molas Pass south and possibly Kenosha Pass. Just trying to figure out the transportation question of getting to and from Denver Airport with no car

Yea we are thinking about Molas Pass south and possibly Kenosha Pass. Just trying to figure out the transportation question of getting to and from Denver Airport with no car
    For this new loop, take the RTD bus to Denver, walk over to the Greyhound station, take the bus to Frisco, take the Summit County bus to Leadville ($5 fee) and from there you can easily get to Twin Lakes via hitching to start the loop.

If you want even easier logistics, and don't mind spending the money, book a shuttle on the Colorado Mountain Express to Friso from DIA.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Looking at your site trying to get to the San Juans. Should be interesting

I have asked a few people and I knwo Yogi's reputation for attention to detail, but what about her book for the CT? Any rec's?

I have asked a few people and I knwo Yogi's reputation for attention to detail, but what about her book for the CT? Any rec's?
    '

I have a copy at home. It is very well written. If you want more town detail and logistics info, it is the way to go.

Mine is more the Q&D Guide.

(Yogi's friend of mine FWIW)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

'

(Yogi's friend of mine FWIW)
    Thats good enough for me, just ordered it

++ New Posts ++