WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tent conundrum

Tyvek is the best ground sheet, for any size tent.

Side entry tent for me now that I'm an older fart.

Journal Entries

If you have the option to stay in shelters in bad weather, you dont need much of a tent at all, a simple tarp will pack the smallest and be light.
    If you are willing to sleep in a shelter with no bug netting, why would you insist on having a tent with it?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you have the option to stay in shelters in bad weather, you dont need much of a tent at all, a simple tarp will pack the smallest and be light.
    If you are willing to sleep in a shelter with no bug netting, why would you insist on having a tent with it?
    I don't plan on staying in shelters a lot, only when the weather forces me to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by poizster View Post
    For thru-hiking the AT I'm torn on which single person tent to get. My budget is around $250 but that's probably negotiable. Space isn't a big issue as I'm 5' 10" and have a small (64") Exped. My main concern is staying dry, I'd love to do the cuben fiber but really don't want to spend $500. I've narrowed it down to the list below but am open for all suggestions.

SMD Skyscape Trekker - 24 oz. double wall

SMD Lunar Solo - An ounce lighter then the Trekker (23 oz.) but with more room, single wall

Tarptent Notch - Seems like a really fast setup, double wall 26 oz.

Tarptent Contrail - Looks great, I like the one pole setup, light at 24.5 oz. although I've read about some condensation issues

Lightheart Solo - Double wall, a bit heavier at 27 oz.
    For what it is worth, only the weights listed for the two Tarptents include all pegs and guy lines required to set up the shelter.

On my hike in 2011/12, I used the Tarptent Moment and loved it. After seam sealing and adding 2 extra pegs and guy-lines to tie it down during heavy weather, it weighed in at 33 ounces. I stayed in shelters only 5 times during my hike, and so it was important to me to carry a tent that went up and came down fast and easy. With one hoop pole and only 2 pegs, the Moment went up in less than 2 minutes, and came down and was in the stuff sack in about 3. The Tarptent Notch wasn't available when I bought the Moment. If I was buying now, I seriously look at the Notch as well.

Images

Light weight and roomy and not that noise that cuban fiber will make. Look at the Hilleberg Rajd. Very roomy light weight and the room for all your stuff inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries
    Images

I really like the shape of the SMD solo tent. It has the perfect size vestibule (just large enough for shoes).
    David Smolinski

I have only used the contrail from the list above but I have no complaints. I stayed in it in a heavy rain the weekend before hurricane Sandy and had no issues with it. You can often find them used on here and other forums for pretty cheap in case you decide you don't like it. I would assume the resale value is pretty good also.

I'm going to add a plug for the notch. I just took it out for the first time this weekend in Utah. We got caught in a winter storm blowing up canyon... twice. The second time I could't stake the tent down but had to use rocks. It held up to some gnarly gusts and snow, not to mention how jealous my friends were of its packed size and weight.

Images

Default Check out the Wild Oasis

You might want to check out the SMD Wild Oasis. Quite a bit lighter than the Lunar Solo. I carried it on my CDT chunks with a tyvek ground sheet. It was quite effective at keeping the mosquitos at bay and well ventilated. I've had it out in high winds and late this past April in a snow storm that dumped about 18" of wet snow on the PA Mid State Trail near State College.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

last year i upgrade my 2 person tent to a solo tent, Eureka spitfire 1 cost $99, weight 2lbs - 3 lbs, i changed to alum. stakes (2) and had a tyvek footprint. i am 6'2" 250lbs fit was great. most nights i did not use the fly. no bug night. First night on the trail there was a heavy thunder storm, no issues. Everything packed up to the size of a football, i also change stuff sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearleg View Post
    last year i upgrade my 2 person tent to a solo tent, Eureka spitfire 1 cost $99, weight 2lbs - 3 lbs, i changed to alum. stakes (2) and had a tyvek footprint. i am 6'2" 250lbs fit was great. most nights i did not use the fly. no bug night. First night on the trail there was a heavy thunder storm, no issues. Everything packed up to the size of a football, i also change stuff sacks.
    IMO the Spitfire is the best value out there for beginning hikers who may not know if they will stick with hiking or not. I've upgraded from the 3 lb-2 oz Spitfire to a 26 oz Notch but I still use the Spitfire occasionally for sentimental reasons...great value with lots of space for a solo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++