WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bugs at LT Shelters in August?

So I've always used the no-seeum netting on my hammock because its integral to my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. But I need to reduce my pack weight further and am considering going with a no net hammock, saving 7 ounces.

I'm hiking the Long Trail next August,
    But before I buy another, lighter hammock, I'd like to know your experiences with mosquitos, flies, whatever at NIGHT in August.

I believe most of the shelters are at least 1500' or higher so I wouldn't think they're bad enough for netting.

Pretty much non-existant, but there are a few shelters near ponds so that increases the risk of seeing some mosquitos. I think I'd carry a little less water or find something else to leave behind to save those 7 oz.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I had one mosquito bite the entire trail and that was in the rain through Clarendon gorge. throw in a $2 walmart headnet and you're golden.

There is a stretch of wet areas around stratton mtn on the southern half of the trail. There can be mosquitoes around dusk but as other mentioned, the bugs are pretty well gone by mid august.

++ New Posts ++