WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: No zeros

I didn't take a zero on my AT thru. Shortest day was something like 12-14miles. I took a 3 zeros on the PCT and hated it - My body doesn't know what to do when it's not moving (similar analogy is that the Tour de France cyclists ride 50 miles on their "rest day" during the tour so their bodies don't seize up).

I felt like trail culture expects people to take zeros, when in reality, there's no compelling reason to do so. I'm a solo hiker, so I move at my own pace. I'm also assuming you are not taking a zero for a medical issue (sprain/strain).

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    ...I felt like trail culture expects people to take zeros, when in reality, there's no compelling reason to do so... I'm also assuming you are not taking a zero for a medical issue (sprain/strain).
    It's good to finally hear from a couple of hikers who actually hiked the AT without a zero.

I totally agree here. There seems to be an expectation/culture on the AT to hike six days and rest on the seventh. You see that in so many posts. I don't get where that comes from. Maybe it's because there's so much time available to hike the AT. Out West, the trails are longer and the season is shorter.

I also get antsy when I'm not moving, though not to the level of the TDF cyclists. I just cycled cross country, 4500 miles in 55 days, self-contained, again no zeros except to visit family in the Midwest. Though I love my family, even that was kind of a chore, sitting still for a few days.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    It's good to finally hear from a couple of hikers who actually hiked the AT without a zero.

I totally agree here. There seems to be an expectation/culture on the AT to hike six days and rest on the seventh. You see that in so many posts. I don't get where that comes from. .

God said rest on the seventh day... Vince Gill said go rest high on a mountain.... who am I to argue with God and Vince?

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    God said rest on the seventh day... Vince Gill said go rest high on a mountain.... who am I to argue with God and Vince?
    Interesting thought, Hill Ape ... I also understand that some people find it very hard to sit still... I'm not saying that's right or wrong. It is what it is....

Images

Although I am (currently) a Section Hiker, I have stopped making plans for each hike........I know when I am starting and have a pretty good idea of when I will finish that leg of my journey, in between I just "go with the flow". Have taken 2 zero's in 6 years, one to help hostel owners out, the last one was in Vermont, 5 days of rain, Inn at the Long Trail, was sore, everything was dry, woke up to harder rain than the day before.

After a great breakfast I decide to take the day off and relax................was a great day, the rain passed, was fresh the next morning and finally had some great fall views and picture opportunities. Hike into Hanover was really nice.

If there is anything that I need to do more in my life is SLOW DOWN, if that means taking a zero day so be it................in both cases it adding significantly to the overall experience.

Yeah, that's why they call you frsibeeFREEK! LOL! ONLY KIDDING! ONLY KIDDING!

I so appreciate Garlic08's and Frisbeefreek's, posts here especially since Frisbeefreek has done what the OP is proposing - taking no zeros.

Even though - MY HIKING STYLE - also, VERY MUCH, maintains a "go with the flow" element, and I do take zeros ocassionally on virtually all of my long distance hikes, I'm also aware that it may be a hiking style that may only be right for me. I try not pushing my or anyone else's hiking philosophy on anyone else I do try to offer some different perspectives to possibly open some closed minds. This might offend some folks who have difficulty considering or accepting new or opposing viewpoints. I'm a tolerant person in general and that also applies to people with different hiking styles. I do indeed, happily accept the HYOH philosophy. I'm also almost exclusively a solo hiker. I only note this because I desire for my posts to be taken in context with who I am and my intentions. I don't expect anyone other than myself to hike like I hike! But, this thread isn't about me it's about the OP's proposed hike. I'll come full circle to this.

My body doesn't know what to do when it's not moving. - Frisbeefreek

This so aptly describes me too, yet I virtually always have taken zeros on all my long distance hikes. I'm not exagerrating about the "I'm always moving description" either. I don't take zeros to stop moving or to rest or to sit in camp. I consider myself a long distance hiker not a camper. Quite to the contrary, I'm VERY busy moving around and NOT RESTING on my zeros. I've never been injured, depressed, sick, exhausted, disgusted, etc to the point where I couldn't continue hiking EVERYDAY and had to take a zero for any of those reasons. Sometimes, just as Frisbeefreek noted in TDF athletes, I can tighten up while engaged in a long distance hike if not hiking for extended periods sometimes even if not hiking for only an hour or two. All the reasons why I take zeros or what I do during a zero isn't all that important what is important to note is that folks take zeros for many different reasons to do many different things. And, why I detest, to some degree, the phrase taking a zero day. It doesn't necessarily mean you do zero things or that you do zero moving which are biases or incorrect assumptions too. That phrase can be misleading or arouse negative conotations in some hiker's minds especially speedy or speed record attempting hikers or possibly even in the minds of those who don't like to stop moving or get antsy when not moving. It's also the primary reason why I originally considered making a post to this thread. When someone states, as the OP has, I don't plan on taking any zeros - "because I don't like spending all day in camp", that's a rather limted view of why people take a zero, even why he might take or need a zero during his own hike! I don't expect, advise, or suggest to anyone, including the OP, that they need to take zeros! Everyone is different. Thank goodness. To each his own and that includes doing a hike with no zeros if that's someone's goal.

I felt(feel) like trail culture expects people to take zeros... - Frisbeefreek

There seems to be an expectation/culture on the AT to hike six days and rest on the seventh. You see that in so many posts. I don't get where that comes from. Maybe it's because there's so much time available to hike the AT. - Garlic08

I totally agree with both these observations too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++