WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: No zeros

Who said "It's just Walking"?
    Now it's just walking and talking I guess.
    I'm tired just reading...
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    While hiking zero miles in a day is common there really is no such thing as a "zero" day as in you do nothing or have zero experiences that day. Having a day where you hike zero miles does not mean you have to sit in camp all day. Hiking zero miles in a day simply means you experienced something other than hiking with the objective to cover miles that day.

Thru-hiking IS NOT just about hiking! Think about it. This revelation might improve your life experiences when hiking! or not hiking!
    Hey *******.. how about letting the guy hike the way he wants to and ****.

Quote Originally Posted by squireel View Post
    For those saying being social is a major part of the trail, I know this. I have section hiked most of the trail already, about 1200 miles of it 2 weeks at a time. I'm not attempting this for a social event. I'm trying to push my self further than iv ever pushed my self. Chill out with the slow down and smell the roses comments, I have smelled the roses, I know what they smell like. I don't know how it fells to put 2180 miles under my feet in 109 days. Again y'all have yall goals and I have mine. I am not right and you are not wrong. We just see 2 different shades of blue.
    here are the facts, can you do it with no 0 days? YES !!! are you more or less likely to finish if you take 0 zeros, LESS, you body is going to break down, simple facts... no matter how good of shape you are in your body WILL break down at some point. ... YOU already knew the answer to your question before you asked it. . Also to resupply you will lose several hours, i dont know how many days of food your planning to take with ya, but before hot springs, only the noc and neals are quick and easy to get in and out of.... haiawassee( spelled wrong) and franklin you would be lucky yo get there and back within 3 hours... and thats with alot luck, or money depending on if you set up shuttles. Most peoples plans dont last the first week once they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Hey *******.. how about letting the guy hike the way he wants to and ****.
    Hey, stop jumping to crap I didn't say or imply. And, please, stop with the name calling. By all fu#king means HYOH unless you start hurting me or someone else!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    here are the facts, can you do it with no 0 days? YES !!! are you more or less likely to finish if you take 0 zeros, LESS, you body is going to break down, simple facts... no matter how good of shape you are in your body WILL break down at some point.
    Please enlighten us on the data behind these alleged "facts". I love how people take their own limited data and puff it up into universal facts. If I were advising someone on how to do a fast hike I would do no zeros and very consistent miles each day. There is more "body breakdown" from the mileage heros, folks that do significantly higher mile days than their average than from consistent mile no zero days. That can easily be seen in countless journal from all the long trails.

][/QUOTE]

Fact- this is your opinion

Another fact- I'll figure out how to quote people eventually

here are the facts, can you do it with no 0 days? YES !!! are you more or less likely to finish if you take 0 zeros, LESS, you body is going to break down, simple facts... no matter how good of shape you are in your body WILL break down at some point. ... YOU already knew the answer to your question before you asked it. . Also to resupply you will lose several hours, i dont know how many days of food your planning to take with ya, but before hot springs, only the noc and neals are quick and easy to get in and out of.... haiawassee( spelled wrong) and franklin you would be lucky yo get there and back within 3 hours... and thats with alot luck, or money depending on if you set up shuttles. Most peoples plans dont last the first week once they are out there.
    This is your opinion not fact

This is your opinion not fact

Images

well youve learned how to quote, anyway.

Images

sometimes it is prudent to take a zero whther you need to or not:

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    There is a deference between pushing your self and being suicidal, and I will agree with this

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squireel View Post
    The day I start my hike, April 1, I will start a new thread. I will title it squirrels speed attempt. I will up date it every night I have service on my phone with my location. If I fail at no zeros I will still succeed in completing the trail. Now I can no see the future but I have tested and tested my gear, I'm comfterable with it. I have a base weight of 12 pounds. I enjoy a test of ones own will power. Thanks to all that are supportive, every one else can hike there 12 miles a day and enjoy there town days. I'm not asking you not to, just quit telling me that I can't hike with out them. I'm not chasing down the record. I'm pushing my self. I want to see what my personal boundaries are. Some will never understand that and I don't ask you to.

See y'all on the trail
    Very nice! I'll be looking forward to following your hike. Good luck with it!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Good luck.

Out of curiosity what are your plans for rest? Do you plan to do a couple of two mile days into or out of town? Or are your rest days just going to be in the 10-15 mile range?

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    Good luck.

Out of curiosity what are your plans for rest? Do you plan to do a couple of two mile days into or out of town? Or are your rest days just going to be in the 10-15 mile range?
    My plan is sun up to sun down, rest where needed in-between. My goal is to finish in or under 109 days. I am ok with neros if they are needed. I am still planning but my hopes are to use as many resupply points that are right off the trail as possible that eliminates town time. Again that's all subject to change but that is the goal
    Worse stuff happens to better people

Images

Remember to hike your hike. If you decide to change your mind 2 days in and want to hike at a slower pace and take zeros then by all means do it. Not doing that out of stubbornness is not hiking your hike, instead it is hiking your preconceived notion of what you thought your hike was going to be. Good luck and make lots of memories!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post

Ahhhh, but Grasshopper, is a "true" zero if you were forced to take it? What if you only moved 100 feet that day? 10 feet that day? Rolled over in your tent in a northward direction? Is THAT a zero?

Who the hell cares? Hike your hike - enjoy yourself - post about it later. Yeeeeesh.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Because I'm a bit confused on your goal, Squireel, is this a publically disclosed speed hike attempt or just an attempt to start out of the gate doing 20 MPD, maintaining that MPD avg, and planning for no zeros? I ask because I know those who actually accomplish thru-hiking speed records or do speedy thru-hikes who take neros, and even a rare zero, and I know thru-hikers who didn't attempt a speed thru-hiking record or speedy thru-hike who didn''t take any zeros. I'll ask you something else, why are you wasting your time and energy starting a thread asking a question to get other folk's opinions when you aren't ready to accept those opinions. Did you expect a pat on the back from everyone when posing such questions? Did you expect every response to be "go for it, I know you can do it?"

Every champion, even the speed hiking champs I know, are not only determined, which you are, sometimes to the point of being obsessed, which I think you are, and have an unyielding belief in themselves, which I think you have, they are also well organized, well prepared, typically have an intimate understanding of the obstacles, crystal clear as to their objectives, willing to consider wise instruction, and DO NOT waste time and energy elliciting and debating responses from possible naysayers! They go out and do it or make a damn good attempt at doing it!

Perhaps, a better strategy and thread starter question would be something like, "how do I do a speedy(110 days or less) thru-hike of the AT during typical thru-hiking season doing 20 MPD out of the gate avg 20 MPD throughout the thru-hike with no planned "zeros". Now, if you had done that you have my, and other people's, attention focused on the "how to's" rather than offering BS opinions that might be counter productive to your goal. IMHO, when you posted your very first comments, it raised red flags in my mind because you left out the logistics and asking about the "how to's." Just trying to help where I can NOT slam you to the floor.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well said Dogwood.

Journal Entries
    Images

Squireel,

A concept related to not taking zeros is the prospect of passing by some of the "mandatory" off-trail resupply points.

In some cases this would be just a strategey to find the right balance between carying a bit extra food to avoid the time delay of walking/hitching off the Trail, and in other cases you might pass by these stops simply to spend more uniterupted time in the woods.

In the past, I think a great many hikers stayed on the Trail longer between stops than they do now-- regardless of the pace they are walking. Now, it seems there is almost a predefined schedule (subject to minor tweeking, ofcourse) that most hikers take. On my hike, I had quite a few long stretches that hikers would probably not consider now-- Gorham to Stratton come to mind. For me that was the norm-- and not because I was hiking particulary fast. Overall, I averaged just 15 miles per day.

That might be simply because hikers are smarter now, and they have the best approach dialed in. But pehaps not.

Just a thought,

Whether you take any or many zeros, the number of trips off the Trail (for a few hours or a night) impact one's hike in a similar way as the number of zeros, I think. Perhaps even more so.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++