WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: No zeros

Default No zeros

Is it crazy thinking that a thru hike can be completed with no zeros? Is it crazy thinking that I should be able to maintain 20 miles a day from the start if I'm in great shape? I maintained 20+ a day on a long train thru hike with out issues, besides time and Length of trail I don't see why the AT should be different. I'm not saying I'm pushing for a world record but how many people truly can get 20+ miles a day and still finish a thru hike. And for the record a speed record is not the main purpose for my thru hike attempt, I just hate spending all day in camp.
    Last edited by squireel; 11-17-2012 at 21:40.

Images

Most zero are in town & are a rest/non rest day doing chores. Your body will need a rest now & then. A lot of people do neros if you don't want to spend a whole day in town. Camp close to town. Hike in do laundry, shopping, mail, etc. Spend one night & hike out next day.

I'm ok with neros, I understand why they are needed. I'm just going to give it 100% not to have a zero.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I've wondered this too, and if it has been done. For myself I enjoy the day or two in town on section hikes just to do laundry, shower and get a salad and or pizza!

Images

Sitting in your warm house or apartment it's easy to plan out 20+ mile days.Out in the wet&cold with long climbs&descents and a long list of possible problems,the best of well made plans can change very quick....

Yes I agree that it is warm here in my apartment, but what separates 20+ mile days on the long trail compared to the AT? There is no way you can tell me that Vermont is a walk in the park, and no I don't have 2000 miles under my belt but I have enough to know that I have a strong chance at maintaining 20 mile days out the gate.

Journal Entries
    Images

many days of constant rain may be the biggest struggle with this one, it really wears on you mentally.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Just keep in mind the calories you will burn day after day. 5-6 K . Not saying it can't be done but you have to plan for it. Most hikers use town stops for feeding frenzies to make up for lost calories on the trail. I learned to adjust my menu on AT to maintain weight when I couldn't afford to lose more. On PCT, when a friend from AT came to meet me was surprised how fit I looked compared to how emaciated we looked on the AT. High fat foods & things like olive oil or margarine help a lot.

Images

the long trail is only 272 mi. AT is 8 times that,
    but you seem to be telling us you can do it, so go do it. brag about how many miles you hiked a day and no zeros when you are done
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

squireel, you did the VLT in less than 13 days? Well good for you! Then you can definitely do the AT in less than 110 days. I believe in you buddy! Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. The AT is not like the long trail. The AT is like 10x longer! But doable in under 110 days. You will have to do a couple 30 mile days and maybe a 40 miler when you fail to post your 20's but that is doable too. You can do it! When you are done, you can brag about it here on WB; how you did not take any zeros and how you did big miles each day. Everyone here loves to hear people brag and how others are far superior at hiking. I wanna be like you squireel.

Kayak karl I like your take on it, if and that a big if I make it with no zeros I'll make a giant brag post. In reality I know this is 8 times longer than the long trail, the long trail was my " training wheels" if you will. Mountain mike I defiantly catch your drift on the calories. The thing I have to work the hardest on is eating right and stoping with enough light left to set up camp and eat.

Images

It's easy to say 110day AT hike and enjoy with town stops of nero and zero town stops. Stop in town, it was a mistake I made in planning my first hike that I thought I'd want to avoid town stops. My first week on the trail realized my mistake. Nothing beats being in town and burgers and beers to fill-up on food you don't have to carry.

My plan is to take it easy until im in trail shape then hike an avg 20-25 a day 6days(1zero & 1nero a week) and last mock hike I did was 110days So if your already in trail shape you'll make the journey with that many zeros and more.

Images

IMO--the AT experience is a lot more than just walking--I have done 1,100 miles and took some time to enjoy trail towns, get rested, and smell the flowers....

Journal Entries
    Images

I took just one zero, and that was only because the PO was closed when I got to Pearisburg.

It felt natural to just keep on moving. Might have taken more had I met up with others going my direction, however-- not sure.

One advantage I had was not knowing how one "should" hike the Trail before I set out. Of course there are disadvantages to being ignorant about alot of stuff, but on reflection I see there were some very real but not so obvious benefits as well.

Hiking you own hike is not nearly as easy as it may seem.

If the condtions are bad over several days, you may have no choice, a couple of potential record attempts got sidelined in Maine during a wet spell where the runners feet were wet for several days, they tried to keep running and in the end had to stop to let their feet heal and overall lost more time then if they had taken a day off earlier on.

There is a fine line between obsessed and determined and make sure you can recognize the difference.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The question you might want to ask yourself is why are you thru-hiking? And why the hurry?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Plans change.im betting yours will too

There is also a mental aspect of this. I know I am happy with a 6 week hike and then I get bored. You may need those zeros to get your mind off the trail.

Images

for sure it is going to be a good challenge to do the trail with no zeros. im sure its easier to do the long trail over 10 to 14 days without a zero then it is to do nearly 2200 miles on th AT without a zero. more unforseen circumstaces will ocur over the course of 100-110 days on the AT then the 10-14 days on the LT. whatever the outcome have a great hike and and enjoy your zero days, lol...ROCK ON!!!!

Images

In your regular life, could you go six months without a single day off? Even through holidays when everybody else is celebrating, even when disasters happen and you have to work a bunch of 14-hour days, even when daily situations become stressful and start to affect your sleep? Even if you're not getting enough time for meals? Could you work at your job seven days a week for six months, with no break?

What kind of condition would you be in at the end? Would it be worth it?

That's how I look at it. I don't take many days off now (ie, I work seven days a week), so I figure I'm good for fewer zeroes than some. Still, even at that, when I know my reserves are going to be lower than usual, probably much lower, I'm anticipating that I'll need more days off than in my non-Trail life, not fewer. And that doesn't even add in the logistics of resupply (which might entail a zero) or rest days necessitated by injury.

But if you manage it, I'd love to hear about it afterward! That would be a real accomplishment.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++