WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default What scale to buy?

Please give some advice for best scale to buy to weigh gear. Looked at food scales, but not sure how that works with packs and larger item like sleeping bags. Searched posts already, but did not see one dedicated to scales. I found one at Harbor Freight Tools for 17.99 that weighs up to 11 pounds. Thanks for any info you might have. Hike On!!!

Miller
    ILMT

I like a postal scale that weighs up to 10 pounds with accuracy down to 0.05 ounces and can show grams as well as ounces. If you need to weigh something with a big volume like a sleeping bag, zero the scale with a large plastic bowl on it and the stuff sack, then stuff your bag in the sack, place in bowl, and reweigh. What will meet your needs depends on how carefully you want to weigh things. Going lighter can become obsessive. You've been warned!
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

How accurate do you need? To the ounce? Eighth ounce? Gram?

Fish scales are nice and similar to luggage scales as you hang stuff from them, but they usually don't have the greatest resolution.
    Something like this: http://www.basspro.com/Rapala-Compac...ct/1206250145/ will get you to the ounce, but not closer, nor closer than 10 grams (2 digit decimal KG), but it will weigh a 21lb bicycle quite well.

I haven't seen a hanging scale in my price range that has better resolution. I'm sure they exist though. I use a kitchen scale with a 5 kg max load and 1 gram resolution by OXO (I've bought Salter ones, but they all broke for me).

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use our postal scale

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I use a 5 lb capacity digital postal scale I bought at Costco for about 20 bucks. Seems to be very accurate (I borrowed a couple of calibrated weights, and the scale was within a couple of grams for a 500 gram weight). I cut a piece of stiff cardboard about 12x12" and taped it to the top of the scale. It self-calibrates to zero when you turn it on, meaning it cancels out the weight of the cardboard (and I tested it like this with those weights I mentioned).

Anyway, that 12x12" surface is handy for accurately weighing most things, even sleeping bags. Just put the bag in a stuff sack, which sits nicely on the 12x12 cardboard, and weigh it. Then weigh the stuff sack separately and subtract. I have a log that has these accurate weights for all my gear AND clothing items. Call me anal, but I think this all is important for comfy hiking. I even weigh all my stuff sacks and label them with a sharpie. Amazing how the weights of stuff sacks vary. Same with articles of clothing.

This setup is also great for portioning out food items, powders, snack sizes, etc, into zip locks. Even zip-lock bags vary a lot depending on the brand. 7 days of food in 20 or so zip locks makes those zip-locks add up to a few ounces, not insignificant.

This scale doesn't work for packs though; I weigh my packs with a fish-scale, which isn't as accurate, but probably good to within an ounce or two. I also weigh my packed-pack this way for the real bottom line. this fish scale is a 50 lb capacity digital scale I bought at a sporting goods store.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the info. I will look at postal scales and will use the bowl or cardboard tricks. Thanks. Hike On!!!

Miller

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I use our postal scale

Thanks!!! Hike On!!!

Miller

In the fishing supply section of Walmart, you can find an analog or digital fish scale with a 50 pound capacity. The analog one is cheap, but has limited resolution. The digital one is only $20 and has 1 oz resolution. Either one is good for weighing a fully loaded pack. For small stuff, the digital postal or a food scale is best. It's nice to have both. It's difficult to get an accurate reading of the bulky stuff on a small postal scale.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Just get the el cheap0 from Wally World that will weigh in grams/ozs/pounds. To weigh large stuff I get a cardboard box and center it on the scale, after it reads the weight hit the set button again and it will now read as "0". Then put your pack or quilt in the box and it will give you the true weight. I weigh each item individually so I can know what my total weight will be if I add something or decide not to take something. I think the Wally World scale I got was only like $12 or $15.

Journal Entries

You can get a small scale from harbor freight that weighs up to 16 oz. , they go on sale for $5.99

The only items that should weigh more than that are your pack, and sleeping bag. Weigh them at the post office..once.

Or any larger scale from harbor freight or walmart will work. Just more money. Most of what you need to weigh and focus on will be small items.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You can get a small scale from harbor freight that weighs up to 16 oz. , they go on sale for $5.99

The only items that should weigh more than that are your pack, and sleeping bag. Weigh them at the post office..once.

Or any larger scale from harbor freight or walmart will work. Just more money. Most of what you need to weigh and focus on will be small items.
    Yea, the little things added up for me on my first hike I think. Put to many little items in pack.

Images

I use a kitchen scale that weighs to 11 pounds in grams or half ounces. Easy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

A fish or luggage scale would be cheaper, and have fewer parts. If it's for a professional fishing competition, it needs to be accurate.
    David Smolinski

I use a battery powered digital kitchen scale I bought at BED, BATH, AND BEYOND for $22 that weighs up to 8 lbs, has both kg/grams and lbs/oz measurements, is accurate to a 1/4 oz, and is made with a stainless steel casing. It's small though so when weighing something like a backpack I have to first place something like a laundry basket, etc on the scale, zero it out, and then place the backpack in the laundry basket.

Oops, just looked at my scale. It's accurate to 1/8 oz.

wal mart digi, 10 lb

i used a food scale that you could tare to 0. I would just put my bulkier items in a box, hit the tare button, and then weigh my items. It was easier to do.

Pain is a by-product of a good time.

easier way
    Use a digital bathroom scale
    Weigh yourself
    Note the number
    Get off the scale
    Pick up the item in question
    Weigh yourself again
    Note the new number
    Subtract

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++